Site Comments & Suggestions

RedFlagDeals Has Been Acquired by VerticalScope

  • Last Updated:
  • Sep 27th, 2018 1:51 pm
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 2, 2012
2190 posts
1066 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
theflyingsquirrel wrote:
Aug 22nd, 2018 10:36 am
What is OT?
If you are not being sarcastic, OT refers to Off Topic, and in this case in particular, the Off Topic sub-forum.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 6, 2010
3457 posts
1003 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
MrFrugal1 wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2018 8:39 am
If you are not being sarcastic, OT refers to Off Topic, and in this case in particular, the Off Topic sub-forum.
I see. Thanks. I always feel that OT means over time. Haha. Guess I am working too much.
If I buy something that is not in deep discounted, my father will punish me; everyone will laugh at me. I will be the strange kid who doesn't fit in.
Guide to get free movie BOGO code from Virgin Mobile
How to setup PAP in Tangerine
Member
User avatar
Mar 7, 2017
381 posts
103 upvotes
Ham, ON
Joezph wrote:
Aug 22nd, 2018 9:56 am
I hope they shut down OT though. It doesn't have to cover every single topic and be all things to all people. It is and it should be a website about helping people and OT helps no one.
How about you just stop visiting OP is it offends you so much? Maybe there is nothing for you in this forum, so stick to the boards you enjoy. No need to be a dictator of fun for other people just because you don't feel comfortable articulating your viewpoints or formulating arguments. Think about what would happen if OT was eliminated... All of those topics that make you feel squirmy and uncomfortable because you have been conditioned not to talk about those things will migrate onto other boards and find their way into other threads. Do you not think that content would be more appropriately placed on a single board that you and others can purposely stay away from. Those conversations will never leave this website, only migrate to other places.
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
12847 posts
3237 upvotes
Montreal
DealFixation wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2018 8:56 am
No need to be a dictator of fun for other people just because you don't feel comfortable articulating your viewpoints or formulating arguments.
So that's what you guys do over there - I always thought it was more "ranting and raving like madmen".

I do agree with your main point though, as keeping OT running ensures that the patients never leave the asylum and start spreading into normal society.
Banned
Mar 27, 2018
308 posts
265 upvotes
I agree that OT should be shut down.

Not because of the "madmen"
but because of the political bias of the moderators
OT is the modern dystopian version of "free speech"
free only as long as you say what the moderators believe.

The heart of RFD is shopping and specifically deals.
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
12847 posts
3237 upvotes
Montreal
zinful wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2018 9:55 am
but because of the political bias of the moderators
There is bias all over the place here.

For example, I own both a PS4 and an Xbox One and I play on both of them, depending on the game and genre. I regularly comment on the deals, PS Plus/Games with Gold Freebies, console/controller deals, etc., both good or bad depending on how good or bad I feel it is, but I always get hammered by the Mods on the Sony/PS4 threads and never get any comments/deleted posts/warnings from them on the Microsoft/Xbox threads, no matter how hard I slam MS for the latest round of garbage games on GwG. I'm an equal opportunity slammer when it comes to console games and deals, but you literally have to walk on broken glass in the Sony threads.

There is no question that a lot of the Mods on RFD are also hardcore Sony fans (I would bet serious money on this assertion), and react far differently to you being critical of a Sony PS Plus selection than they ever would be for anyone saying the exact same thing in a Microsoft Games with Gold thread.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 23, 2003
3164 posts
356 upvotes
Hamilton
Huh?
Why fix what ain't broken.??

DragonRider wrote:
Aug 21st, 2018 5:28 pm
Nice to see a change. Yellow Pages has not been doing much.
Hopefully VerticalScope will take this to a higher level.
Congrats!
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2007
1292 posts
670 upvotes
Have the hosts changed as I am sensing a slightly slower rendering of the site. Each page is taking longer to complete(?)
🢂 2x Koodo 35/5 [both FREE] - Koodo 40/6 [paying 15]- Fido Data 15/3 [paying 7.50 / Free GPad] 🢀
Member
Jan 19, 2017
275 posts
391 upvotes
Nice! i work in management in the TorStar family so first off welcome! Not sure how Yellowpages was fairing but the good thing about us is we are a media company that is currently carrying no debt! Vertical Scope was always a contingency plan for moving forward as papers are slowing dying off and flyers in our smaller communities are really our bread and butter so to speak. However whenever they started mentioned sites owned by Vertical i usually didn't visit or never heard of any of them. This is the first website i actually visit! Hope its a great partnership and it looks like they are going to give you guys the same freedom you had. Congrats!
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 25, 2005
6176 posts
2024 upvotes
North York
sidshock wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2018 11:28 am
Huh?
Why fix what ain't broken.??
With today's pace of innovation, this idiom no longer applies.
The 90's generation has no interest in Facebook.
What's the probability that our next generation will want to read forums and message boards the way it is today?
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2007
1292 posts
670 upvotes
theflyingsquirrel wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2018 8:48 am
I see. Thanks. I always feel that OT means over time. Haha. Guess I am working too much.
Often people work OverTime going Off Topic. Myself included ;)
🢂 2x Koodo 35/5 [both FREE] - Koodo 40/6 [paying 15]- Fido Data 15/3 [paying 7.50 / Free GPad] 🢀
Deal Expert
User avatar
Dec 19, 2001
29672 posts
1150 upvotes
Fernando Po
I see why its under "Hot Deals". They got it for $12m, didn't YP pay $24m?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 19, 2013
1685 posts
494 upvotes
Winnipeg
hagbard wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2018 12:07 pm
I see why its under "Hot Deals". They got it for $12m, didn't YP pay $24m?
We are worth $12m? Smiling Face With Open Mouth
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. -- Douglas Adams
Banned
Mar 27, 2018
308 posts
265 upvotes
JackWhyte wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2018 10:17 am
There is bias all over the place here.
There is racism all over the place
There is sexism all over the place
There is "religonicism" all over the place
That does not make it right.

Having fanboy bias is OK
Having a bias that shuts down, deletes and bans people based on political views is wrong.

If Canada is a nation of diversity it must respect all diversity
PM Justin Trudeau tells us we must embrace diversity because it is our strength
If diversity of ideas can't be respected then the forum is anti-Canadian.
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
12847 posts
3237 upvotes
Montreal
zinful wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2018 12:48 pm
Having fanboy bias is OK
I totally disagree with this, as would virtually any woman or visible minority affected by the insanity that gaming fanboyism can ultimately cause (i.e Gamergate at al).

And as for Justin Trudeau "embracing a diversity of opinions", whenever you disagree with anything he does, he screams "RACIST!". :facepalm:

Top