• Last Updated:
  • Mar 14th, 2017 12:42 pm
[OP]
Aug 7, 2015
50 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Reducing the number of existing potlights

Last year we had pot light installed on the main floor of the house. In the living room ( size 12x14) I asked the electrician to install only 6 lights as I don't like the Swiss cheese look on the ceiling. Somehow he convinced me to have 8 lights. I thought it will grow on me but after an year I still hate it. So now I want to reduce the number of lights to 6 and patch those holes. Do I need to call a certified electrician for that or any handyman can do it? Approximately What would be the cost involved?
Thanks
15 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
1807 posts
1142 upvotes
What is the reason you don't like them? Too bright? You could install a dimmer and dim it down. Saves a lot of hassle and later on if you change your mind it's a lot easier as well. I personally wouldn't take out say a row of them because then you will have a dark spot with low light and shadows.

sanz123 wrote: Last year we had pot light installed on the main floor of the house. In the living room ( size 12x14) I asked the electrician to install only 6 lights as I don't like the Swiss cheese look on the ceiling. Somehow he convinced me to have 8 lights. I thought it will grow on me but after an year I still hate it. So now I want to reduce the number of lights to 6 and patch those holes. Do I need to call a certified electrician for that or any handyman can do it? Approximately What would be the cost involved?
Thanks
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
6315 posts
1918 upvotes
GTA
sanz123 wrote: So now I want to reduce the number of lights to 6 and patch those holes. Do I need to call a certified electrician for that or any handyman can do it? Approximately What would be the cost involved?
To do this properly a new wire should be pulled connecting lights when a pot light is being eliminated like this.
Most handymen will just remove the light, connect the wires with marettes...Maybe put the wire connection in a box but it still shouldn't be buried.

If you do take out 2 lights don't eliminate a row; take out one on each side of the two center rows. Remove those 2 bulbs this evening to see if you like the effect....if not try one light from opposite sides of the end rows.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2003
4738 posts
640 upvotes
Calgary
Ridiculous. Rich people's problems.
I apologize for offending sensitivities of alt right, alt left, or anyone in the middle, for humor or perspectives, for my maturity and occasional errors. I apologize for misunderstandings on gender, religion, politics, race or deals.
Mar 19, 2013
696 posts
207 upvotes
Prince Albert, Sask.
Sounds like a lot of work and some expense, to keep it to code, for 2 potlights. I will assume the 8 lights are on the same circuit. Where I live, it would be against code to pull 2 lights & patch over a live (spliced) circuit. You might be better to remove the bulbs from 2 lights.
Jan 4, 2014
866 posts
284 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
If the two lights you're removing are the last two in the circuit, you could eliminate those by finding the wire feeding them from the other pot lights. That been said, this would involve opening up potlight and undoing the joints until you found which wire you're looking for.

If they aren't end of the line, you'd have to run a new wire, and that's more work than you want to do.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
16637 posts
1613 upvotes
Thornhill
Zamboni wrote: Most handymen will just remove the light, connect the wires with marettes...Maybe put the wire connection in a box but it still shouldn't be buried.
This. i.e., you're going to end up with a visible cover in the ceiling.

bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2007
26164 posts
4354 upvotes
Hamilton
Damn. Rich peoples problem indeed
$35/5GB Koodo
$120/3Months PM
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2013
1600 posts
1024 upvotes
Ottawa
Cough wrote: Ridiculous. Rich people's problems.
yao416 wrote: Damn. Rich peoples problem indeed
Ok people. To keep it in perspective, this is RFD. Everything here is pretty much rich people or first world problem.
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2008
3463 posts
989 upvotes
Zamboni wrote: To do this properly a new wire should be pulled connecting lights when a pot light is being eliminated like this.
Most handymen will just remove the light, connect the wires with marettes...Maybe put the wire connection in a box but it still shouldn't be buried.

If you do take out 2 lights don't eliminate a row; take out one on each side of the two center rows. Remove those 2 bulbs this evening to see if you like the effect....if not try one light from opposite sides of the end rows.
As long as there is no danger, I don't see the point of following code

This is a pretty stupid problem
Most normal people would just yank out the bulb, and leave empty or perhaps place a cover plate over.
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2008
3463 posts
989 upvotes
sandav wrote: Ok people. To keep it in perspective, this is RFD. Everything here is pretty much rich people or first world problem.
Not really. What about when we talk about plain old bananas on sale for 25 cents?
[OP]
Aug 7, 2015
50 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Thank you guys for useful tips. I already have a dimmer, but it's just me who think there are too many holes in the ceiling. With all the suggestions, I am thinking of leaving them as they are. Too much work involved for apparently a small job.
Thanks again. By the way I am not rich Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2014
3092 posts
457 upvotes
Oshawa, ON
in North York every pot light adds 5000 value to the house...
signature removed for inappropriate content
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
16637 posts
1613 upvotes
Thornhill
eldeejay wrote: in North York every pot light adds 5000 value to the house...
Wowzers! I'm gonna go for the Swiss cheese look. +$1M based on the family room ceiling alone.

bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products