reel lawn mowers (no motor)

• Last Updated:
  • May 15th, 2006 4:10 pm
Tags:
None
Banned
Feb 11, 2006
1976 posts
I may be negative about the quality of the easily available brands - but a quality reel mower is a joy to behold just as a machine in itself, and very effective at cutting grass (though in June and September when the grass is growing fast, you'll need to stay on top of it with regular cutting). I know people who've used the same old reel mower for getting on 50 years.
Mar 11, 2006
441 posts
30 upvotes
I had a crappy $99 Great States reel mower from HD that I used for 5 years. I hated using the thing so much that I would have to use the weed whacker to cut the lawn after 2 of 3 weeks of procrastinating. Keeping the blades sharp and properly adjusted was a constant pain in the a$$.

If anyone has the name of a good quality reel mower that isn't a pain to use I'd like to know.

I've switched back to using an old Lawn Boy mower. Cuts grass beautifully of any lenght and smells great. :lol:
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2005
5111 posts
1546 upvotes
Kitchener
I have the [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=24]Canadian Tire[/rfdlink] Yardworks, had it for 4 years now and it still as good as new. Never had to sharpen the blades yet. I have to cut my grass once a week during the spring and once every 2 weeks in the summer. It doesn't cut long grass or high dandelions.. use an electric wipper snipper for that
Aug 6, 2003
725 posts
Milton
Drthorne wrote:I have the [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=24]Canadian Tire[/rfdlink] Yardworks, had it for 4 years now and it still as good as new. Never had to sharpen the blades yet. I have to cut my grass once a week during the spring and once every 2 weeks in the summer. It doesn't cut long grass or high dandelions.. use an electric wipper snipper for that
I am currently using a Gas Lawn Mower and sick of it because it is so hard to start the engine. I was thinking about a Reel Lawn Mower. [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=24]Canadian Tire[/rfdlink] had the 14 inch Yardworks on sales for $49 two weeks ago but I missed the sale. :-( Some say the Reel Lawn Mower is a waste of money but others say they work nicely.
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2005
1116 posts
251 upvotes
Toronto
Kevin wrote:I am currently using a Gas Lawn Mower and sick of it because it is so hard to start the engine. I was thinking about a Reel Lawn Mower. [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=24]Canadian Tire[/rfdlink] had the 14 inch Yardworks on sales for $49 two weeks ago but I missed the sale. :-( Some say the Reel Lawn Mower is a waste of money but others say they work nicely.
No worries about starting the engine on a reel mower... unless you're lazy that is. :)

I had an elderly couple walk past my house the other day as I was mowing the yard. They stopped and the man yelled: "That's more like it!!". :D
Aug 6, 2003
725 posts
Milton
Ayumix wrote:No worries about starting the engine on a reel mower... unless you're lazy that is. :)

I had an elderly couple walk past my house the other day as I was mowing the yard. They stopped and the man yelled: "That's more like it!!". :D
Wondering if you know what the return policy on these Reel Lawn Mower are at various stores ? Because I would like to buy one and test it out. If I am not satisfied then I could return it.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2003
6507 posts
278 upvotes
Kevin wrote:Wondering if you know what the return policy on these Reel Lawn Mower are at various stores ? Because I would like to buy one and test it out. If I am not satisfied then I could return it.
Borrow one from a neighbour to see if you like it or not...
Deal Fanatic
Feb 3, 2005
5295 posts
1266 upvotes
Georgetown
I got the 20" Yardworks mower during the [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=24]Canadian Tire[/rfdlink] sale. I'm likely going to return it because the patch of yard I need to cut is very high maintenance. The house has been rented for years and the lawn is in bad shape... very bumpy ground, slopes and slants, lots of bad patches, etc.... it also has numerous trees that dump pine cones, pine needles, twigs, etc. all over the lawn constantly. As a result, it requires a lot of work to clean up the lawn before you start cutting the grass with the reel mower (a gas mower would chew right through a lot of the little stuff). The reel mower works decently - but just isn't the right answer for my current lawn.

If anyone wants to buy the reel mower off me at cost before I return it, send me a PM. It was $95.99+tax (regularly $159.99 I believe). If I return it, nobody will get to take advantage of the great sale price... and of course I have the receipt so it would be under warranty, etc.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2005
9870 posts
1915 upvotes
TO
[QUOTE]I have the [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=24]Canadian Tire[/rfdlink] Yardworks, had it for 4 years now and it still as good as new. Never had to sharpen the blades yet. I have to cut my grass once a week during the spring and once every 2 weeks in the summer. It doesn't cut long grass or high dandelions.. use an electric wipper snipper for that[/QUOTE]

Wow..that sound good, do you usually wipe the mower off after using it and store it in?
(also is it easy to assemble once you get it out from the box?)

I'm thinking of going to get a reel mower(Gardena) from Rona since they have 90 days policy....

btw..canadian tire also have 90 day plus 1 year towards any purchase warranty......
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2006
3634 posts
65 upvotes
We have one, we got it from a neighbor when they moved away(it's 30+ years old, works great). We sharpen it once a year when the guy in the sharpening truck comes to our street ringing his bell. Does anybody else use a sharpening truck for their mower?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 19, 2004
9356 posts
2211 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
ElChico wrote:We have one, we got it from a neighbor when they moved away(it's 30+ years old, works great). We sharpen it once a year when the guy in the sharpening truck comes to our street ringing his bell. Does anybody else use a sharpening truck for their mower?
How much does it cost you to get it sharpened from the sharpening truck? I always wondered about the price of something like that.
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2006
3634 posts
65 upvotes
don242 wrote:How much does it cost you to get it sharpened from the sharpening truck? I always wondered about the price of something like that.

Hrm, I think it' was 20-25$ for a push mower. Better then paying for Gas, but it's probably cheaper to get one of those sharpening kits in the long run.
May 28, 2005
719 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
Well I've got a scotts and can say its pretty good. Its not very light but I find the build quality quite good and the thing seems very sturdy. The only time there is any trouble pushing it is if I leave the grass to grow lots and then try to cut it.
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2005
2008 posts
10 upvotes
These are on sale this week at [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=24]Canadian Tire[/rfdlink] again. 40% off, I believe.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)