• Feb 6th, 2010 8:00 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jun 5, 2006
579 posts
2 upvotes

Refrigerator on Carpet

I've just moved to Australia for a few years to study and am currently in a studio apartment which is basically a room with an included kitchen and washroom. It's a furnished room but one of the main issues I'm having is that the provided fridge is a mini-fridge that can only cool, not freeze. It also doesn't cool properly and my landlord refuses to give me something better (i.e. milk and juice go bad pretty fast). Their standard response was to just go buy a freezer or live without one.

So I decided to buy a proper fridge with a freezer that actually cools properly so I don't have to waste all my studying time buying/cooking food. However, since this is a studio apartment, the only place to put a fridge is on a carpeted area or out in the balcony. There's not enough space on any tiled surface (kitchen or washroom).

I was assured by several people that it is okay to put a fridge on a carpet, especially new fridges, so I don't need to worry about this. In Canada, I've had a chest freezer on a carpet for over 5 years without any issues.

Today, when the fridge was being delivered, my landlord saw it and started yelling and complaining that I can't put a fridge on carpet. It *must* be put on a tiled surface. He threatened to increase my 'bond' money (deposit that's returned once you fulfill the lease and the apartment is in good condition) and said that I need to put this fridge in the balcony otherwise it will damage the carpet for sure.
I told him I could put a slab of wood or some plastic sheet underneath to get around this situation but he would just keep yelling and saying that this is Australia and the carpet *will* become damaged and I'll have to replace the entire thing (btw this landlord wants me to move into a more expensive apartment in the same building so I can't tell if what he's saying is true or not)
He complained to the movers as well who gave me some foam to put underneath the fridge to protect the carpet from damage but they said they won't be liable if the carpet does get damaged (understandbly).

I also bought a huge plastic sheet which I've wrapped around the foam and put underneath the fridge to protect the carpet from any minor leaks.
I've also contacted Whirlpool about this issue and they assured me that I have nothing to worry about and unless the fridge gets damaged, the carpet will not be damaged in any way.

I was wondering which side is correct? I really need a freezer so was hoping there's some way to make this work.
In terms of what type of fridge it is, it's a brand new Whirlpool Frost-Free fridge/freezer, 3/4 the size of a fridge I'm used to in Canada.

Any insight into this would be appreciated!
6 replies
Dec 31, 2006
386 posts
11 upvotes
Greater Tarana Area
This would probably be more of an issue with a chest freezer, where they typically have a defrost drainage (if the power went out water would drip into a pan underneath.
For a brand new frost free, there shouldn't be any water discharge underneath... however I wouldn't want it on a carpet either. What if a carton of milk gets knocked over and the spill runs underneath the fridge?
If functionality is all you need, I'd go with a plywood platform slightly large that the fridge footprint, with a sealed lip around the edge (say a 1"x1" piece of wood). that way you get air flow under the fridge, and any small amount of moisture would sit on the wood surface until it evaporates.
Up to 100% OFF
[OP]
Jun 5, 2006
579 posts
2 upvotes
^thanks for the quick response. That's interesting actually because my landlord was pushing for me to buy a chest freezer instead, something that seems to probably cause more trouble than a normal fridge/freezer.

So the current set-up I have with foam + plastic wouldn't be a good idea? I guess since the foam woul keep absorbing rather than help evaporate? And I'm not too familiar with wood so when you say 'sealed lip' you mean a slightly raised surface towards the sides to ensure water doesn't simply drip onto the carpet?

Yea i'd only keep the fridge like this for a few months untl my lease expires and then get a place where issues like this wouldn't come up.

Thanks!
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2009
3417 posts
393 upvotes
Aurora
Talk to a local about what a landlord is required to provide you. I would think a functioning fridge is part of the deal. If it is, and you're legitimitely (all Visa requirements satisfied) in Australia, tell him he can provide you with a new one or he can stuff it and you're putting the fridge wherever you want.
If the laws there are anything like the laws in Canada there's very little he can do. Google "tenant rights Australia" or something like that and find out.
[OP]
Jun 5, 2006
579 posts
2 upvotes
Toukolou wrote:
Feb 6th, 2010 12:06 pm
Talk to a local about what a landlord is required to provide you. I would think a functioning fridge is part of the deal. If it is, and you're legitimitely (all Visa requirements satisfied) in Australia, tell him he can provide you with a new one or he can stuff it and you're putting the fridge wherever you want.
If the laws there are anything like the laws in Canada there's very little he can do. Google "tenant rights Australia" or something like that and find out.
Laws in Australia for renting are copied from Canada so at least that part is straightforward :) I know, by law, he can't really do anything until my lease expires but I just wanted to make sure what he's describing doesn't happen so that he doesn't overcharge me like $1500 to replace my carpet.

Hopefully foam and plastic can be a good enough safeguard otherwise I guess I'm going to have to head out and buy some wood.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2005
14833 posts
1497 upvotes
pacman99 wrote:
Feb 6th, 2010 4:50 am
Today, when the fridge was being delivered, my landlord saw it and started yelling and complaining that I can't put a fridge on carpet. It *must* be put on a tiled surface. He threatened to increase my 'bond' money (deposit that's returned once you fulfill the lease and the apartment is in good condition) and said that I need to put this fridge in the balcony otherwise it will damage the carpet for sure.
I told him I could put a slab of wood or some plastic sheet
There are rubber feets you can buy to place heavy items on carpet - you can get these at your local home renovation store.

But ask your landlord furniture. A large sofa or bed weighs the same as a fridge.

If after removing your fridge your landlord complains about the large impression left by it - just get a couple ice cubes and place it over the impression. In a couple hours, it should start returning back to its normal shape - if not, give the area a quick scrub.
[OP]
Jun 5, 2006
579 posts
2 upvotes
^he's actually more concerned about water leaking onto the carpet because apparently all fridges do this :confused: and causing the carpet to 'mould'. That's why I immediately bought a plastic sheet to put underneath for immediate leakages and left the foam there. I was hoping this would be enough to prevent that from happening otherwise I'd have to head the wood route as suggested by mason.
× < >