Automotive

Refund extended warranty after total loss?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 16th, 2018 6:35 pm
Jul 25, 2008
37 posts
10 upvotes
Montreal

Refund extended warranty after total loss?

I bought a Sonata in 2015.
I purchased the 8 year/160K extended warranty and the total amount was financed through Scotiabank (via the dealership).

Last month I was hit by another car who ran a red and the car was deemed a total loss.
The insurance paid out and balance of the loan paid to Scotiabank.

I looked through the fine print of the extended warranty...
It says in the case of a total loss, the prorated premium would be refunded minus 50$ admin fee.
The cancellation form, it says, is available at any authorized dealer who would need to sign the form and send to Hyundai Canada.

I went to the dealership where I bought the car...
Sorry, said the finance manager, we don't cancel these policies. We could have transferred your warranty to a new car though....
They obviously weren't happy that I had already replaced my car with a new Mazda.
He says he's never heard of said cancellation form. Call Hyundai Motor Finance...

So I called Hyundai Motor Finance.
Sorry sir, they said, we don't have a file under your name.
If you didn't finance through us, then the protection plan was not sold by us either.
Contact your local dealer or scotiabank.

Has anyone been through this before?
Who do I have to speak to for this to get resolved???

Thanks in advance!
16 replies
Jul 25, 2008
37 posts
10 upvotes
Montreal
booblehead wrote: so, what did you buy exactly, factory or 3rd party aftermarket warranty ?

It should be clearly written out on your sales agreement
It's a Hyundai Protection Plan - not 3rd party.
Although there is no central number to call, that I can find anyways.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
33234 posts
21163 upvotes
Toronto
so, you will have to contact Hyundai Canada again and this time, show them proof.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2017
3132 posts
1307 upvotes
dandevilfish wrote: It's a Hyundai Protection Plan - not 3rd party.
Although there is no central number to call, that I can find anyways.
Have you try Hyundai Auto Canada???
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2009
5427 posts
5283 upvotes
GTA
I'm sure someone here buying Hyundai could use extended warranty. Just post it in the "free stuff" section. Better than giving it up.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2006
5020 posts
888 upvotes
Toronto
it's probably dealership that offered it. when i totalled my kia soul the extended warranty couldn't be transfer to the new kia that i got because it was from a different dealer.
HEATWARE 18-0-0 since 2006
EBAY 38-0-0 Since 2003

IG: mkdrone_
Jul 3, 2017
200 posts
231 upvotes
Southern Ontario
I would reach back out to your dealer. Is there another business manager that works there or just the one?

Typically when a warranty or insurance product is cancelled or rebated the original business manager will be clawed back their commission on the sale of it.

If that doesnt work I would contact another local Hyundai store and ask them for help.
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2009
1175 posts
450 upvotes
Dartmouth
If the contract says they need to refund it then take it back to the dealer who sold it to you. Point out the fine print and ask them to refund it. If they refuse take them to small claims court. It cost next to nothing and if they are refusing to honour the wording of the contract then it should be a slam dunk.
Jul 25, 2008
37 posts
10 upvotes
Montreal
Update:

I finally got in touch with someone at Hyundai Canada.
They sent me the cancellation form which the finance manager told me he has "never heard of..."
I'll go back to the dealership today (same place I bought the car) and insist that they sign it.
Of course whoever sold me the policy may get their commission clawed back but that's not my problem.
I already showed them the fine print and you can cancel for any reason, but I know they're in the business of making money so generally they want people to think that these policies cannot be cancelled.
Deal Fanatic
May 4, 2014
5217 posts
7141 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Scummy dealership... glad it came through for you by going through corporate.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2017
3132 posts
1307 upvotes
I'd be sure to post a short review at google since they gave you such a runaround.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2004
12887 posts
13083 upvotes
dandevilfish wrote: I already showed them the fine print and you can cancel for any reason, but I know they're in the business of making money so generally they want people to think that these policies cannot be cancelled.
We need to push for direct sale again.
Jul 25, 2008
37 posts
10 upvotes
Montreal
Update #2:

I returned to the dealership today with the form in hand.

I met with another "business manager" who seemed much nicer than the last one I dealt with.
He signed the form without a problem and explained how to send it in and get my refund.

When I pressed him on whether he knew about this form and had copies in the dealership, he admitted he did but "I'm not sure if I have any copies left".

"So the other guy was just giving me the runaround, then?" I asked him.

He tried his best to be diplomatic and tell me how the other guy was "old school" and the "admin department usually handles the cancellation forms" etc etc...
In the end, he knew that I knew it was all bulls**t.

Needless to say, I won't be returning there when it's time to buy a new car.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
33234 posts
21163 upvotes
Toronto
What is the name of this dealership?
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
13461 posts
4619 upvotes
GTA
dandevilfish wrote:

I met with another "business manager" who seemed much nicer than the last one I dealt with.
He signed the form without a problem and explained how to send it in and get my refund.

*snip*

Needless to say, I won't be returning there when it's time to buy a new car.
So one ahole manager ruins it? Other guy seemed fine, why not go to him in the future?

Most dealerships are like this, just want the sale, then ignore you. Good ones keep customers coming back for years.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)