• Jan 18th, 2018 3:15 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
1236 posts
219 upvotes
Toronto

Refund issued to cancelled visa debit

So I made a thread about having to cancel my visa debit due to a fraudulent website anyway I was just issued a refund from amazon on that cancelled card, I spoke to them and they said they can’t change it and that the bank will automatically route it to the new card and it will go to my account, can anyone confirm if this is true? Because I called td and the guy said amazon has to take my new card number.
12 replies
Jan 2, 2012
115 posts
31 upvotes
I've done this before and the refund did find its way to my new account. This was with RBC though.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
3596 posts
2748 upvotes
Toronto
In my experience, the card issuer will figure it out and issue the refund onto your new card. Don't worry about it. It's not like this doesn't happen all the time (new expiry dates, fraudulent cards cancelled, etc.).
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
1236 posts
219 upvotes
Toronto
jm1 wrote:
Jan 13th, 2018 11:02 am
In my experience, the card issuer will figure it out and issue the refund onto your new card. Don't worry about it. It's not like this doesn't happen all the time (new expiry dates, fraudulent cards cancelled, etc.).
I called the td again and yet another representative is telling me the refund will not go to my account
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2005
8285 posts
8414 upvotes
There will be a credit floating around associated with your card number. Give it a few days for the credit to process, then give them a call, they should be able to find the credit and then apply it back to your account.

Don't worry, your money won't dissapear, there's an obvious paper trail that can be traced back.
Last edited by Wizard1 on Jan 13th, 2018 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
1236 posts
219 upvotes
Toronto
Heavenleigh85 wrote:
Jan 13th, 2018 11:06 am
I called the td again and yet another representative is telling me the refund will not go to my account
Had her go to ask her supervisor and she was wrong you all were correct thanks
Apr 10, 2011
406 posts
181 upvotes
This has happened to me as well. You have to deal with your bank company and not amazon.

I eventually had to escalate it to a supervisor who was able to open the old account back up, and transfer the refund to the new account. It took like, 3 phone calls with a CS agent before I got angry and asked for a supervisor (who was able to help me in like 3 minutes). This was with PC Financial.
Jan 16, 2018
3 posts
Toronto, ON
I had this happen as well, I went to a supervisor and was able to resolve it.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
1236 posts
219 upvotes
Toronto
HAD NO issues went straight to current account
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2014
4622 posts
2135 upvotes
lemmiwinks wrote:
Jan 17th, 2018 7:05 pm
This has happened to me as well. You have to deal with your bank company and not amazon.

I eventually had to escalate it to a supervisor who was able to open the old account back up, and transfer the refund to the new account. It took like, 3 phone calls with a CS agent before I got angry and asked for a supervisor (who was able to help me in like 3 minutes). This was with PC Financial.
You are talking about different accounts. OP is talking about a different card with the same account.
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
2396 posts
258 upvotes
Toronto
I know a little different, but I still have my old CC numbers under my payments list and my payments still make it to my account
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
3009 posts
607 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
My anecdotal evidence.

Capital one mastercard. My card was compromised and there was a textbook fraudulent purchase made. Called cap one and they cancelled that card, erased the transaction, and issued me a new card with a new number.

A few weeks later i did need to get a refund to the cancelled card. On the next credit card statement it showed a refund transaction to the old cc number and correctly credited it to my new card.

Also, i forgot to change the credit card number in my online banking pay bills profile. i kept paying my bill to the old cancelled number for months. Each time it would show up on my statement as a separate line under with the old cc number next to it.

So at least capital one links all your cancelled cards to your existing account and you can pay/refund them all you want with no issues.
Apr 10, 2011
406 posts
181 upvotes
hvwozq wrote:
Jan 18th, 2018 1:59 am
You are talking about different accounts. OP is talking about a different card with the same account.
Yeah that’s what I meant. Different card same account.