Shopping Discussion

Refunds for Defective Products: Consumer Protection Laws in Ontario

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 2nd, 2016 8:58 pm
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
5834 posts
591 upvotes
I agree. Without a receipt you simply cannot hold a store responsible for a refund/replacement on a problem item. They might choose to do so, but that's at their discretion.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2007
2261 posts
428 upvotes
Scarborough
When I retire, I am going to give Dollaramas et. al. a hard time with this.... :razz:

Just last night the brand new back scrubber broke with reasonable force!...$1.50+hst down the drain...> :(

Sounds about right, if I am not mistaken, I believe you cannot "make up" your own terms and conditions when renting out your house/basement...not allowed.
Dec 23, 2014
1 posts
London, ON
dailce wrote:
Mar 9th, 2011 9:13 pm
If you buy a car that's defective a few months down the road, I doubt the dealership will give you any refund.
im not sure of the details and have not done any research but there is a lemon law that applies to vehicle purchases intended to protect consumers in Ontario Canada and may even be Canada wide as far as i know.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10455 posts
1976 upvotes
What's with all the newbies bumping old threads? Or is this something else? It is really getting annoying.
Jan 16, 2015
2 posts
Maple, ON
Hi, My name is Alex Noudelman and I had a problem with a carpet that I added to my house. They failed to explain that the there is a specific vacuuming system that needs to be added. Oops it ripped. Consumer protection said the complaint was customer service related, not fraud.

Alex Noudelman
Jan 15, 2005
133 posts
6 upvotes
anoudelman wrote:
Jan 17th, 2015 9:06 am
Hi, My name is Alex Noudelman and I had a problem with a carpet that I added to my house. They failed to explain that the there is a specific vacuuming system that needs to be added. Oops it ripped. Consumer protection said the complaint was customer service related, not fraud.

Alex Noudelman
Hi Alex,

Welcome to RFD. If you are looking for help here you need to provide more information than that,

1) The store - to understand their return policy
2) The price - if it was clearance or not
3) How long ago
etc.

Thank you
Oct 16, 2005
188 posts
30 upvotes
does this apply to vehicles. I mean I bought in 2012 a Ford Escape. In March of 2013 I told the manufacturer that the car kept producing industrial fallout and my paint package was supposed to inhibit this rust like debrey. The dealership refused to do anything. Can I still call them out on consumer protection act because to this day it is still happening. I believe the product "paint protection" wasn't install properly has other owners say they have never had it.
May 19, 2015
1 posts
Toronto
Hi there, i found your article very useful since I am currently experiencing similar issue where I purchased a wooden table which cost 1200$ in Toronto 6 months ago. And the wood table top started to crack badly where the whole top (10inches thickness) is cracked through at multiple places. After I addressed the issue with the seller for a refund they refused to do so. Saying "that's how this industry works, no stores issue refund after 6 months". However their store policy did mention "as is", " no exchange / refund".

I have filed complaints towards them with Ontario Consumer protection after uncessfully communicating to achieve an agreement. I'm considering taking them to the Small Claim Court and ask for full refund and additional costs ( time costs, transportation fee, etc). Do you think I have a good chance in winning?

I'm a full time college student with no income, still supported by my parents, however, in this case the merchant who has years of operating experience is deceiving me by selling something that has no reasonable lifespan- cracks in 6 weeks. And there isn't misused on my part since the table is displayed in my apartment at a room temperature and normal sunlight. He should have no reason to defend himself against my use- since it's a coffee table and he sold it in Toronto so obviously the temperature and weather and humidity conditions should been taken in his consideration before he sells.

Also, I will not except anything less than the value I initially paid for given the table is supposed to hold value and not as he said "since you already used for 6 months, there is no new replacement or refund." A table costs 1200$ should not have been depreciated so rapidly - however in this condition he refused refund or exchange because he understand by taking back the table, it will not worth as much. But in refusing it, he is intended to make me, the consumer, to be punished for his wrongful action. Although lawfully it is written for warrity guaranteed but laws are entitled with moral principles where being rewarded for his wrongful action shall not be allowed.
Please let me know what do u think in terms of my chance in receiving a refund with the Consumer Protection organization or in small claim court. (pS there are numerous similar customer complaints towards this merchant online which proves it is not a one time case. And since the model he sold me was handmade by his manufacture (not customized), so there isn't a same model, therefore the durable of other goods he sales does not guarantee the quality of this table which no one has prior experience of using it.)
Jul 12, 2016
102 posts
24 upvotes
I don't know about the law but i even returned defected profuct in dollarstore last year, in canadian tire as well, I've never had a problem
Dec 19, 2011
17 posts
1 upvote
Sears and lemon coverage :
sears most return tax with lemon coverage ?
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2008
2188 posts
218 upvotes
Toronto
I bought the kids hover boards last year. The manufacturing company (US based) issued a recall (battery) and are offering to replace the battery Free. Or pay an additional $200 for a new unit? Should I have any other legal options?
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel