Shopping Discussion

Refunds for Defective Products: Consumer Protection Laws in Ontario

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 6th, 2019 10:35 pm
Banned
Aug 9, 2017
18 posts
2 upvotes
Well I think that refunds would be possible but since it is such high on sale season, these refunds might be tough on the companies. Hope for the good.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2004
1151 posts
330 upvotes
maybe we should do class action against trudeau as he seems to be giving everyone who sues his gov whatever they want :)
Feb 14, 2012
713 posts
371 upvotes
Toronto
Recently purchase a laptop/tablet from SDM. Upon inspecting it, I noticed a crackling/static sound coming from the left speaker. Do I have the right to ask for an exchange/refund even though they have a no exchange or refund on opened electronics?
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
16437 posts
8776 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
If it's defective--and based on what you describe it is--then they should either replace the unit or refund your money. If the unit is now say, over 30 days old, then they could require that you contact the manufacturer to get it repaired under warranty. But if it's defective out of the box then they can't do that.
veni, vidi, Visa
Feb 14, 2012
713 posts
371 upvotes
Toronto
bylo wrote:
Jan 18th, 2018 9:28 pm
If it's defective--and based on what you describe it is--then they should either replace the unit or refund your money. If the unit is now say, over 30 days old, then they could require that you contact the manufacturer to get it repaired under warranty. But if it's defective out of the box then they can't do that.
Yeah, I would clearly say its defective as it happens with different apps, programs. I will try and see. If they will replace it and hopefully I won't have to call their customer service. Thanks for the input.
Feb 14, 2012
713 posts
371 upvotes
Toronto
Well... They wouldn't replace or refund the defective tablet at the store so I had to call customer service. They ended calling the store and allowed me to do a return. I wanted a replacement but they explained that they only could refund. Also they give the cash value of the item back instead of the points I used. This experience would definitely make me think twice about purchasing electronics at SDM again.
Apr 19, 2018
47 posts
5 upvotes
Yes, I wonder if these laws apply to sellers outside Ontario on platforms like Amazon for smaller items. Many people get ripped off by low quality on the lower end of prices.
May 13, 2018
75 posts
9 upvotes
I bought a diffuser at CT and realized that it doesn't work, the receipt says no refunds, only exchanges. Is that allowed??
Banned
Dec 19, 2018
8 posts
1 upvote
Wow, some good research is done there by you! I really didn't know about this. Thank you for posting this and giving us a really informative article. So the question now is how often are these laws used by the people. Like is everyone informed about this? That they can really get a refund for damaged stuff. And does the law work for people who do try to seek a refund.
Dec 14, 2012
109 posts
4 upvotes
Does anyone know if there is a loophole for defective eyeglass frames? It is technically working. The optical store has a new pair being shipped to the store but it has been two months already. Apparently coming from overseas.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
16437 posts
8776 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
aub3rgine wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2019 10:14 pm
Does anyone know if there is a loophole for defective eyeglass frames? It is technically working. The optical store has a new pair being shipped to the store but it has been two months already. Apparently coming from overseas.
Perhaps you could be a bit less vague. In what way are they defective? How does that interfere with their use? Who is the seller and where are they located?

In any case, if the lenses properly correct your vision and the frames hold the lenses in place on your face then this becomes a quality, customer satisfaction issue. If the seller won't rectify it then you could perhaps contact the optometrists regulator in your province.

As for their excuse for the two months delay (coming from overseas) that's bullshit. I've bought glasses online from US sellers who get their lenses ground in Asia that were delivered to my home in about a week. Don't let the store stall using this feeble excuse. (Or better still, next time buy online where you'll get faster service, generous return/exchange privileges--and pay a lot less.)
veni, vidi, Visa
Dec 14, 2012
109 posts
4 upvotes
It's a bit difficult to explain but in short, the left and the right arms are not made evenly and has a bit of a crack. However, the lenses are fine and does not interfere with the function of the glasses. I bought these glasses from a small optical store in Markham.

The optician claims a new pair has been shipped since mid November. Since I've dropped off the defective pair, I've ordered a few pairs online without issues and happy with their service. Anyway, I don't know what else to do but wait. I was thinking of demanding my money back. I highly doubt they will give me my money back.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
16437 posts
8776 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
aub3rgine wrote:
Jan 5th, 2019 11:24 am
It's a bit difficult to explain but in short, the left and the right arms are not made evenly and has a bit of a crack. However, the lenses are fine and does not interfere with the function of the glasses. I bought these glasses from a small optical store in Markham.
Had you been able to keep and use these glasses while waiting for new frames then I think the optician is being reasonable...
The optician claims a new pair has been shipped since mid November. Since I've dropped off the defective pair, I've ordered a few pairs online without issues and happy with their service. Anyway, I don't know what else to do but wait. I was thinking of demanding my money back. I highly doubt they will give me my money back.
...but if they've had the glasses for this long a period then they owe you an interim solution. It's not your fault that their supplier and/or shipper are dragging their heels.

I'd ask for a refund based on the argument that you've waited a reasonable amount of time and had to buy "backup" glasses elsewhere. If they refuse and you paid by credit card then you could call the CC and request a chargeback.
veni, vidi, Visa