Shopping Discussion

Refunds for Defective Products: Consumer Protection Laws in Ontario

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 21st, 2018 2:16 am
Banned
Aug 9, 2017
18 posts
1 upvote
Well I think that refunds would be possible but since it is such high on sale season, these refunds might be tough on the companies. Hope for the good.
Dec 28, 2004
911 posts
217 upvotes
maybe we should do class action against trudeau as he seems to be giving everyone who sues his gov whatever they want :)
Feb 14, 2012
473 posts
247 upvotes
Toronto
Recently purchase a laptop/tablet from SDM. Upon inspecting it, I noticed a crackling/static sound coming from the left speaker. Do I have the right to ask for an exchange/refund even though they have a no exchange or refund on opened electronics?
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
13043 posts
5442 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
If it's defective--and based on what you describe it is--then they should either replace the unit or refund your money. If the unit is now say, over 30 days old, then they could require that you contact the manufacturer to get it repaired under warranty. But if it's defective out of the box then they can't do that.
veni, vidi, Visa
Feb 14, 2012
473 posts
247 upvotes
Toronto
bylo wrote:
Jan 18th, 2018 9:28 pm
If it's defective--and based on what you describe it is--then they should either replace the unit or refund your money. If the unit is now say, over 30 days old, then they could require that you contact the manufacturer to get it repaired under warranty. But if it's defective out of the box then they can't do that.
Yeah, I would clearly say its defective as it happens with different apps, programs. I will try and see. If they will replace it and hopefully I won't have to call their customer service. Thanks for the input.
Feb 14, 2012
473 posts
247 upvotes
Toronto
Well... They wouldn't replace or refund the defective tablet at the store so I had to call customer service. They ended calling the store and allowed me to do a return. I wanted a replacement but they explained that they only could refund. Also they give the cash value of the item back instead of the points I used. This experience would definitely make me think twice about purchasing electronics at SDM again.
Apr 19, 2018
47 posts
5 upvotes
Yes, I wonder if these laws apply to sellers outside Ontario on platforms like Amazon for smaller items. Many people get ripped off by low quality on the lower end of prices.