Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Apple

Refurb 13" Macbook Air Rev C. $899 1.86GHz and $1149 2.13GHz on Apple.ca

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 29th, 2010 4:30 pm
Tags:
None
May 15, 2006
275 posts
22 upvotes

[Apple] Refurb 13" Macbook Air Rev C. $899 1.86GHz and $1149 2.13GHz on Apple.ca

1 year warranty on both.

http://store.apple.com/ca/browse/home/s ... TkyMTQ5Mjk

Was just $1599 for the 2.13GHz yesterday, prices dropped due to the announcement of new models. IMO it's more than warm pricing.

Ultra-portable laptop. No, not a netbook competitor, because it has a real CPU and GPU, and no it's not a rip off because you don't get an optical drive, the whole point is that it is an ultra-portable.
95 replies
Deal Addict
May 2, 2006
1336 posts
156 upvotes
only $150 less than new 11.6", i will prefer 11.6"
Deal Fanatic
Jul 22, 2005
5485 posts
384 upvotes
Mississauga
sz1999 wrote: only $150 less than new 11.6", i will prefer 11.6"

you are not comparing apples to apples (figuratively speaking :lol :) 11.6 is too small for me..so prefer the 13". I think its a warm deal..wish it was around $600
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2005
2368 posts
937 upvotes
Ottawa
dealsoutlook wrote: you are not comparing apples to apples (figuratively speaking :lol :) 11.6 is too small for me..so prefer the 13". I think its a warm deal..wish it was around $600

Pixel for pixel you're getting more pixels in the 11.6 than the 13 :confused:
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2005
2368 posts
937 upvotes
Ottawa
xpressmerchant wrote: how reliable are these things since they are so small.

More reliable than a netbook ;)
Banned
Jan 11, 2004
19816 posts
572 upvotes
Rudy wrote: More reliable than a netbook ;)

cause it's still 3x more expensive. And you should be comparing it to the abundance of ultralights out there, not a netbook. If you compare it to ultralights, the refurb is only 2x as expensive
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2004
7631 posts
2175 upvotes
People buying Apple products are prepared to pay a premium for the entire user experience. You're not just buying the hardware, but also the OS. Also comparing the all metal nicely designed Macbook Air is not the same as those cheap plastic PC netbook or notebook. No point in comparing. I used to be a PC user for 20 years before switching to Mac, 100x happier and will never go back.
Jan 8, 2008
489 posts
172 upvotes
My two year old Rev A is still going strong. The little 1.8" ipod hard drive is the only thing I dislike about it. My advice is try out the 11" before making a final decision on this one.
May 15, 2006
275 posts
22 upvotes
gilboman wrote: cause it's still 3x more expensive. And you should be comparing it to the abundance of ultralights out there, not a netbook. If you compare it to ultralights, the refurb is only 2x as expensive

Can you link to a few please? I'm looking for an ultra portable with decent processor and dedicated gpu.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2009
1297 posts
53 upvotes
Toronto
golden wrote: People buying Apple products are prepared to pay a premium for the entire user experience. You're not just buying the hardware, but also the OS. Also comparing the all metal nicely designed Macbook Air is not the same as those cheap plastic PC netbook or notebook. No point in comparing. I used to be a PC user for 20 years before switching to Mac, 100x happier and will never go back.
Same here.
Bill
My blog
Jan 29, 2007
79 posts
7 upvotes
golden wrote: People buying Apple products are prepared to pay a premium for the entire user experience. You're not just buying the hardware, but also the OS. Also comparing the all metal nicely designed Macbook Air is not the same as those cheap plastic PC netbook or notebook. No point in comparing. I used to be a PC user for 20 years before switching to Mac, 100x happier and will never go back.

Exactly, you can have your Honda Civic computer that you can tweek and install an fugly spoiler on, I'd rather have a luxury automobile that I don't need to fool around with to get it to do exactly what I want it to do. I had a netbook for about a month, couldn't stand it, returned it to Costco and went and bought myself a Macbook Pro and I will never go back.

I know I could buy a cheaper computer, but it won't do what I want it to do, when I want it to do it, with the same reliability, in as nice a package as the Apple and I'm pleased with that.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2005
1521 posts
149 upvotes
Guelph
potzie wrote: Exactly, you can have your Honda Civic computer that you can tweek and install an fugly spoiler on, I'd rather have a luxury automobile that I don't need to fool around with to get it to do exactly what I want it to do. I had a netbook for about a month, couldn't stand it, returned it to Costco and went and bought myself a Macbook Pro and I will never go back.

I know I could buy a cheaper computer, but it won't do what I want it to do, when I want it to do it, with the same reliability, in as nice a package as the Apple and I'm pleased with that.

Someone's going to point out that Apple laptops actually have a somewhat high failure rate. THAT BEING SAID I own one, and will always own one (mbp 13 - mbp 15 i7).

Also I'd suggest at least looking at the newer model before jumping on this one as it's got...
Higher res screens
All have ssd (and it's not in harddrive form - they're connected right to the motherboard - i think)
Multitouch touchpad (this is BY FAR my favourite feature of my MBPs)
Better battery life
and I'm sure there's more...
Nom nom nom.
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2008
2778 posts
431 upvotes
Toronto
What killed it for me was the silver bezel around the screen of the new one. It is probably the only reason why I don't want it as much. if it has the black glass bezel like the MBP line, I'd be all over it!!! 13" goodness!
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2006
1268 posts
456 upvotes
Calgary

+1

Same here, I had over 30 PCs starting with a IBM8086, switched to an iMac a couple of years after Vista crippled my PCs
I now have three Macs with a bunch of other Apple products (Itouchs, Ipods, AppleTV, Time Machine). Happy with them all and the lack of support issues.
Although some programs that I use are better on a PC, the Mac has a better user experience, looks great and almost no support issues. I am happy that I switched.
Calgary, AB
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2005
1518 posts
364 upvotes
Toronto
potzie wrote: Exactly, you can have your Honda Civic computer that you can tweek and install an fugly spoiler on, I'd rather have a luxury automobile that I don't need to fool around with to get it to do exactly what I want it to do. I had a netbook for about a month, couldn't stand it, returned it to Costco and went and bought myself a Macbook Pro and I will never go back.

Well if you are talking about a 10" netbook, of course the MBP is going to be many times better. People buy a netbook because they just want to do some light surfing and word processing without paying too much. If you need the power and capability of a MBP, you shouldn't have bought a netbook in the first place. It simply wasn't what you needed. I have a first-gen 7" netbook and it still does what I need it to do - browsing the net. And it's more portable than any MBP!

Although it's not a direct comparison, it's like buying a Civic vs an Escalade. When you pay 8x more, you can get all the nice features and good looks, but both will transport you from A to B. At the end of the day, that's what a car is supposed to do. If you're more practical then you may opt for the Civic. If you like luxury and a better driving experience, you may go for the Escalade. It's all personal preference. Having said that, if I had $3000, I would probably get a decked out MBP :razz:
Deal Guru
Dec 20, 2003
11537 posts
1041 upvotes
Ottawa
zenzen wrote: My two year old Rev A is still going strong. The little 1.8" ipod hard drive is the only thing I dislike about it. My advice is try out the 11" before making a final decision on this one.

+1

I bought my Rev A Air as a refurb in January 2009, and frankly it was the best purchase I've made for a laptop. I backpacked around Europe with it for a month (yes, I dared to bring it to hostels with me), and love carrying it between work and home, compared to the clunker my office gave me.

I ended up getting the SSD drive on it which limits the amount of data I can put on it, but I should preface that by saying I have a desktop at home and work that I use for gaming, processor-intensive tasks, etc.

I was drooling at the latest models, but I'll run my current one into the ground first... which is shows no signs of doing.
- Absolute
Jun 3, 2007
579 posts
211 upvotes
Scarborough
Newer model has SSD drive on it..maybe grab the new one is a good idea.
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2004
2909 posts
396 upvotes
Rudy wrote: More reliable than a netbook ;)

The only reliability advantage over a regular netbook is because of the SSD, which anybody can add to a netbook for far less than the new Airs cost.
Banned
Jan 11, 2004
19816 posts
572 upvotes

that's why you have to compare it to similarly priced PC's and/or business lines of the HP/Dell/Lenovo and they run circles around apple in quality.

Apple quality is good for consumer products cause its so much more $$, but it's still a step or two below real business grade machines