Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2007
1064 posts
22 upvotes

Refurb Mp3 player ... should I trust?

I am interested in an mp3 player from factory direct, its a 4gb sandisk one (it has great reviews). Its about $59.99 and its a 4gb ... but its refurbished... and I've never bought anything thats a refurb.

I am skeptical if I would pay $60 and end up screwed over with a defective mp3 player (because factory direct's return policy is exchange only).

Should I trust it? :confused:

(there is also an 8gb one, for cheaper, but its pretty huge)
9 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2008
1281 posts
39 upvotes
Langley
Refurb does not always mean that particular product was defective but without any return policy I would not personally take a chance on it.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2007
1019 posts
4 upvotes
Well, if $60 is not a huge amount for you, and you really need an MP3 player, why not? Like you said, there's an exchange policy, so if you receive any defective ones, keep trading in until you get one that works.

If you're not willing to go through the hassle to make exchanges or deal with other consumer red tape, go the safe way and just buy something BNIB. At least that way, you know that you are the first to handle it, and do not have to worry about the prior handling and use of the product.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2007
1064 posts
22 upvotes
Its a tough choice.
I hate how I cant get my money back if its defective. If so, I would just buy it and try everything out the first day to see whatsup.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2006
3353 posts
66 upvotes
Well ask to try it on the spot and see everything is working properly. I bought a Philips DVD player there for 30$ exchanged twice.

First time it had no remote control and i wasn't about to get up off my couch and walk over there to turn on my dvd player.

As soon as i got back I spoke with one of the sales guy and he talk to the manager and i quickly grab another box and asked if i can test it on one of their Display TV's, so it can save me and them the hassle of dealing with me again later when i get home again.

They agreed and i spent about 6mins testing all the fuctions and stuff and was happy. Told the sales guy that everything is ok and he walked me to the door flashed my receipt to the RENT-COP to save myself the hassle.

Plug it into my TV and Unlocked, so it is now REGION-FREE. :cheesygri
2010 Rig: i7 930 @ 2.8Ghz, 6GB DDR3 G.Skill 1600, 256GB SSD, 1TB WB Black, R280C, Gigabyte EX58-UD3R, Thermaltake S-Spin H/S, Corsair HX650W, CM Scout Case, 2x LG Flatron W2343V,Win7 Ultimate 64bit
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2007
1995 posts
210 upvotes
Lol wtf does defected mean, the mp3 defected from Cuba? It's defective lol
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2007
1064 posts
22 upvotes
My mistake for typing defected*.

And if they say yes and let me try it... well, there wont be any music on it right, so I wont be able to see if it plays back music or anything else, and if the battery doesnt die really soon.
Deal Expert
Sep 3, 2007
15992 posts
375 upvotes
based on my experience, never ever buy refurb stuff.

even with warrenty etc., the retailer dont offer much help.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2007
1064 posts
22 upvotes
dragon_drift wrote:
May 3rd, 2008 11:39 pm
based on my experience, never ever buy refurb stuff.

even with warrenty etc., the retailer dont offer much help.
Yeah now I am kinda leaning more towards getting a new one.
I dont know if I should take the chance.
Or maybe I will go down there and talk to them about it... ask if people brought it back and what not.
Deal Expert
Sep 3, 2007
15992 posts
375 upvotes
pgfreak wrote:
May 3rd, 2008 11:48 pm
Yeah now I am kinda leaning more towards getting a new one.
I dont know if I should take the chance.
Or maybe I will go down there and talk to them about it... ask if people brought it back and what not.
they will most likely tell you what you want to hear. they're salesman, their job is to sell you the product no matter how bad it is. unless it's dirt cheap, don't go for it.