Request-A-Deal

Refurb T430 Laptop, good deal? Better options out there?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 13th, 2017 12:36 pm
[OP]
Nov 5, 2005
82 posts
2 upvotes
Calgary, AB

Refurb T430 Laptop, good deal? Better options out there?

Hey guys,

I've seen lots of comments about Lenovo refurbs being good deals, what about this one?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Lenovo-T430-14-0 ... rmvSB=true

Does this have the 9 cell battery with the long long battery life? If not, anything similar with 6-8 hr (usable) battery life?

Thanks

Tim
2 replies
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
10115 posts
3069 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Some general comments.

This is a reasonable price for a T430 with these specs (as much as they reveal.) I'd compare with what refurb.io has on offer.

You'll need to contact the seller about the battery. In any case battery condition is more important at this point. I doubt you're going to get 6-8 hr, probably even with a new 9-cell.

You'll also need to contact the seller about the screen resolution. These came in 1368x768 and 1600x900. Obviously the latter is preferable these days. But the panels weren't the best quality with very narrow field of view. Google for reviews to see what I mean,

The 128GB SSD is nice but most people want higher capacity these days. Since you will probably want to upgrade anyway, perhaps a T430 with HDD would be cheaper.

The 4GB RAM isn't much these days. Expect to add an 8GB module (or replace with 2x8GB.) Again, paying a bit more to get a T430 with 8GB+ may be worth it.

That said, the T430 is still a good system with adequate performance even if it's getting a bit old. It's still my "daily driver."
veni, vidi, Visa
[OP]
Nov 5, 2005
82 posts
2 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Hmm.. all good points, maybe I should be looking at something else? My requirements (in order):

- 14" or 15" screen
- good battery life (can be left unplugged for a few hours at like, 4-5)
- i5 processing performance (I know there are a ton of generations, but similar to this T430 is likely good enough)
- 8 gb ram is likely something to shoot for

Can I do better than a Lenovo refurb?

Cheers

Tim