Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Newegg

*REFURBISHED* Nook Simple Touch $70

• Last Updated:
  • May 18th, 2012 10:42 pm
Tags:
None
23 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2007
2761 posts
882 upvotes

Not a bad price for a great e-reader; the form factor is the most comfortable I've used and having both touch and physical page turn buttons is nice.

B&N is selling this new for $79 but ordering it would require an Amerifriend and potential duty issues. Official cases and accessories can be shipped to Canada from B&N (via CanadaPost) and there is a first-time customer coupon floating around Google. They also charge GST at time of purchase.

That picture is incorrect however as this is a Pearl e-ink display (black text on off-white screen); they probably photoshopped what they thought the screen would look like - it's not black.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2002
3571 posts
2935 upvotes
GTA
klover wrote: Not a bad price for a great e-reader; the form factor is the most comfortable I've used and having both touch and physical page turn buttons is nice.

B&N is selling this new for $79 but ordering it would require an Amerifriend and potential duty issues. Official cases and accessories can be shipped to Canada from B&N (via CanadaPost) and there is a first-time customer coupon floating around Google. They also charge GST at time of purchase.

That picture is incorrect however as this is a Pearl e-ink display (black text on off-white screen); they probably photoshopped what they thought the screen would look like - it's not black.

I have one (non-refurbished) and this is exactly what the screen looks like

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/nook-si ... 1102344735

Newegg also has Refurbished Nook Color for $145, free shipping - should run CM9 (off the microSD if you like) without issues

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as ... 6858354003
Nov 14, 2010
414 posts
72 upvotes
Keep in mind though that is NOT manufacturer refurbished - it is refurbished by some third party which means your warranty on it is (i'm assuming) limited to the 30 day return to Newegg. the B&N refurbs int he states on the other hand come with a full years warranty.
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2007
2761 posts
882 upvotes
flaming homer wrote: I have one (non-refurbished) and this is exactly what the screen looks like

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/nook-si ... 1102344735

Newegg also has Refurbished Nook Color for $145, free shipping - should run CM9 (off the microSD if you like) without issues

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as ... 6858354003

Lol, Newegg switched the Nook Simple Touch and Nook Color screens around.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2002
3571 posts
2935 upvotes
GTA
klover wrote: Lol, Newegg switched the Nook Simple Touch and Nook Color screens around.
???
Nov 9, 2011
160 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto
I want to buy a ereader and the nook looks pretty good! I don't care about 3G as I will most likely be side loading everything. Don't even need audio or color (would prefer eink for the glare)
It's not mandatory for me to buy it so I want to wait for a good price, do you think I will find it for less or should go for it for $70?
Aug 24, 2009
852 posts
504 upvotes
Mississauga
Got it for my wife from Walmart US for Xmas, and she's been hooked ever since. You'll likely pay more for accessories than the ereader at this point - it won't get much cheaper.

Highly recommended if you want a simple ereader with a good screen.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2006
1028 posts
12 upvotes
I was seriously thinking about the Color, especially with cm9, etc. That looks like my cup of tea. However....the return policy for both the simple and the color scared me off. Can only return for a replacement, within 30 days. No refund at all.

Given that policy, I may only be willing to grab the simple touch and just live with ereader only functionality.
Jan 12, 2006
133 posts
129 upvotes
I was trying to decide between the Sony, Kindle, and Kobo, but now I can get this for a reasonable price too? I've read a bunch of comparisons and I still can't decide.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2002
3571 posts
2935 upvotes
GTA
zelara wrote: I was trying to decide between the Sony, Kindle, and Kobo, but now I can get this for a reasonable price too? I've read a bunch of comparisons and I still can't decide.
The Kobo's that I've played with are all horribly slow. Nook + calibre is da bomb
Dec 27, 2007
22706 posts
15194 upvotes
Kitchener
the newegg sale just ended this morning it was $64. They actually go on sale regularly.
The price on BN ebay store is $65 right now (shipped free) and is manufacturer refurbished unlike newegg's.
The BNIB nook touch from BN online store is currently for sale at $80 (shipped free)
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2007
2761 posts
882 upvotes
klover wrote: Lol, Newegg switched the Nook Simple Touch and Nook Color screens around.
flaming homer wrote: ???

The Newegg picture of the Nook Simple Touch shows a black reflective LCD panel (which should be a white e-reader screen) and the picture of the Nook Color shows a white screen (it's actually a black reflective LCD panel).
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2007
2761 posts
882 upvotes
zelara wrote: I was trying to decide between the Sony, Kindle, and Kobo, but now I can get this for a reasonable price too? I've read a bunch of comparisons and I still can't decide.

Contrast on all latest-generation models are similar if not identical since most are using Pearl displays.

Page refresh time between Kobo Touch and Nook is similar (Nook has the edge). Both models increase thier refresh speed by only doing a full screen refresh every so often (every 5-6 pages) - a full refresh is when the screen flashes pure black to remove residual text ghosting.

KOBO Touch is touch-only, Nook has both touch and physical buttons. Nook is most comfortable to hold, IMO.
Nov 30, 2009
93 posts
16 upvotes
This is a really good ereader (I own one) but if you've got the money and are near the border, you should get the newly released backlite version.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2002
3571 posts
2935 upvotes
GTA
klover wrote: The Newegg picture of the Nook Simple Touch shows a black reflective LCD panel (which should be a white e-reader screen) and the picture of the Nook Color shows a white screen (it's actually a black reflective LCD panel).
I've read what you wrote above, and I still don't understand what you're saying. I have both the Nook Simple Touch and Nook Color and they both look like the ones on the newegg site

Those of you considering CM9 on microSD for Nook Color, seek out Sandisk microSD, their class 4 cards works 10x better than anyone else's class 10 cards

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... ?t=1000957
Also note - not all SD cards are created equal. Here is a thread of interest is you have not bought one yet: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=12964262
Short version: buy Sandisk-branded class 4 microSD cards.
Oct 11, 2007
48 posts
40 upvotes
Regina
Would like to pick one of these up due to great price, but have some concerns about Nook.

From what I can see, there seems to be some major differences in ebook formats that the top 3 contenders can read (Kindle, Kobo, Nook). For Canadians who have bought the Nook Touch which seems to be more oriented to the States, have you found it a major issue dealing with B & N for books etc, and since it doesn't read a lot of the other formats that Kindle/Kobo read do you find that to be a limiting factor in what content you have access to? Thx
Sep 10, 2004
137 posts
77 upvotes
Montreal
BTW, hacked my STR so that it was unlocked and I could load android apps on it. Wasn't the simplest of processes, and its running a vulnerable version of Android so be careful, but it means I can run the Kindle app, Kobo app, Google books and android book readers - as well as Nook. No iTunes and no sony reader on it though. Basically, any store.

(Love that the Kindle app syncs pages - read it at night on my grey on black, dimly lit, iphone - switch to e-ink during the day. No effort to find the same page.)

When hacking make sure your method is for the Nook STR.

(Now I'm really curious if you can hack the glowlight version. Edit: YES)
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2007
3864 posts
1150 upvotes
Toronto
Are these authorized refurbished?

Worth it for the $90 after taxes?

Looking to get one, after getting my mum a Kobo.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2007
3864 posts
1150 upvotes
Toronto
Bought it for $90... Silly me, I didn't read the thread, and didn't realize it wasn't manufactured refurbished. Should've bought it from Ebay. Oh well. Hopefully it's not in terrible condition....