[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2008
2126 posts
108 upvotes
Regina

Regina Auto Body: Worst Shop I Have Ever Dealt With

Okay... so here's the back story.

In May 2009 I was driving my car through a parking lot when a Civic floored it in reverse and t-boned the drivers side of my car. There was a lot of damage for a parking lot accident. My car spent 2 months at Regina Auto Body. They replaced the front and rear drivers side doors, the back rim, all 4 tires (only supposed to do 1 but I sprung for the other 3), some damage to the C-Pillar, and remove and re-install the back bumper. Long story short I get there after 2 months to get my car and none of the doors line up, the back bumper is practically hanging there, everytime I go over a bump the speaker in the drivers door cuts in and out, there's a metal on metal rattling sound inside the drivers door, and somehow there's now a mosquito inside my tail light (not a big deal but just something I noticed).

I complained about the workmanship and they agreed to take the car in and look at it. They fixed most of the problems except the mosquito inside the tail light. Over the summer I typically ride my motorcycle and around middle of July I noticed that everytime I didn't drive my car for a week the battery would go dead. I figured no biggy, it's a 2007 and I wanted an excuse to replace the battery anyways, so I go get a new battery. This battery lasts a week and a half before going dead. I complained to them and pointed out my car never did this before the accident, and based on their repairs I'm lead to believe they just slapped my car back together at the last minute in the hopes I wouldn't notice anything.

Whatever, no one is taking responsibility for this problem, I'll figure it out in the spring.

Now here's the part that really has me mad. The drivers door that they replaced and painted is starting to rust. I called the owner and explained the problem to him, he asked to take a look at it. I brought it down and he says that it's because I hit my door against something. I pointed out the front passenger door has struck something but yet there's primer there and not rust. He argued with me, told me it's my fault, and he wouldn't stand behind his work.

I took my car to another shop (I really don't want RAB to ever touch my car again) and that shop said the rust is showing up because they scraped the primer off when they were working on it. But regardless it's a really small area and as long as they're replacing my back bumper (someone rear ended me about 3 weeks ago) they would fix the rust for free as well as fix up any other little stone chips and what not on the car.

Just wondering if anyone has any advice on this... The two things that concern me right now are the fact the back bumper was never put on correctly and there may be damage that RAB didn't repair properly and this new shop is going to ding me for it. Or the shop is going to find something else wrong that RAB did wrong and I'm also going to be stuck paying for it.

Anyone have any experience with these kinds of situations?
3 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
15930 posts
6116 upvotes
Have you asked SGI what sort of guarantee they provide? In Alberta, when you use an insurance company's "preferred shop" you get a lifetime guarantee on the work, which would cover all the issues that you are having.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2008
2126 posts
108 upvotes
Regina
TrevorK wrote:
Nov 10th, 2009 9:41 am
Have you asked SGI what sort of guarantee they provide? In Alberta, when you use an insurance company's "preferred shop" you get a lifetime guarantee on the work, which would cover all the issues that you are having.
I have. SGI says unless I can prove it was a result of the collision they won't cover it. The only proof they will accept is something from a mechanic.
May 4, 2004
474 posts
23 upvotes
antichrysler wrote:
Nov 10th, 2009 10:06 am
I have. SGI says unless I can prove it was a result of the collision they won't cover it. The only proof they will accept is something from a mechanic.
get the new shop's mechanic to write you up something for the insurance company supporting your claims.