Regular EI and Minor self employment

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 10th, 2019 9:39 pm
[OP]
Nov 4, 2018
8 posts
1 upvote

Regular EI and Minor self employment

Greetings. I am a regular EI claimant after a full time job as the project funding was over and new to this concept. Got 6 weeks claims. Helped a young child with her home work (Grade 2) who just had a premature baby sister. The parents paid me $60 for two weeks (when the mother was recovering) for this help, though I refused. They said, take this as gift, as they don't want to abuse my help. I genuinely reported this $60 in my EI report. Now my claim is being reviewed and obviously no payments while under review. Will this affect my claim?. I feel bad for accepting the gift of $60, which is affecting my claim.
Please give your valuable input and thanking you profusely
11 replies
Deal Fanatic
May 18, 2009
5463 posts
1126 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Why did u even bother
[OP]
Nov 4, 2018
8 posts
1 upvote
Are you telling why I bothered to report?. I guess that is my mistake
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
2104 posts
1184 upvotes
SivaJay wrote:
Dec 15th, 2018 10:36 pm
Pretty much. This isn’t self employment unless you’re going to do it on a regular basis.

It will likely take up to 4 weeks for them to make a decision on your claim now.
Nov 20, 2016
123 posts
102 upvotes
SivaJay wrote:
Dec 15th, 2018 10:36 pm
I think in the end everything will sort itself out. Unfortunately, you do have to navigate some bureaucracy that will result in a delay in your claim. I don't know if you have a service agent or case officer assigned to you that you can contact and try to explain this situation. As a former federal public servant, I'm sorry you're in this mess when you're just trying to be honest.
[OP]
Nov 4, 2018
8 posts
1 upvote
Thank you, The review is on 4th week now. This is first ever cash payment i received in my entire life, which I was very much hesitant and I don't know how to report it. Before starting the homework help, I had an information session on for EI cliamants on November 7th and I asked the service Canada person, She only told me to report it as self employment (May be she must have thought I am going to do in regular basis,)
The family I helped out during their tough time, now back in to routines with their kids, mom is helping the child now and father got job in BC moving soon there. Being honest hurts not only me and also them. I hope and pray it gets smoothly resolved. Regret so much!! I should have asked a query in this forum instead.
[OP]
Nov 4, 2018
8 posts
1 upvote
Thank you so much. Yes being honest hurts not only me (yes claim is delayed, but being honest is wrong??), the other family also. The review is in the fourth week now, ..can I call them and explain the situation?
I had an information session for EI claimants on 7th November, I took notes on their presentation, it was never ever mentioned , one should not do Self employment. If they had told, I would not be in this mess. Regrets for not asking this forum instead. Good lesson learned, lots of sleep gone, but I WILL educate others. Thanks again, Merry Christmas.
[OP]
Nov 4, 2018
8 posts
1 upvote
Hanniballs wrote:
Dec 16th, 2018 5:28 pm
I think in the end everything will sort itself out. Unfortunately, you do have to navigate some bureaucracy that will result in a delay in your claim. I don't know if you have a service agent or case officer assigned to you that you can contact and try to explain this situation. As a former federal public servant, I'm sorry you're in this mess when you're just trying to be honest.
Thank you so much. Yes being honest hurts not only me (yes claim is delayed, but being honest is wrong??), the other family also. The review is in the fourth week now, ..can I call them and explain the situation?
I had an information session for EI claimants on 7th November, I took notes on their presentation, it was never ever mentioned , one should not do Self employment. If they had told, I would not be in this mess. Regrets for not asking this forum instead. Good lesson learned, lots of sleep gone, but I WILL educate others. Thanks again, Merry Christmas.
[OP]
Nov 4, 2018
8 posts
1 upvote
So during the period under review, am I supposed to do the job search efforts? Kindly enlighten me.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8671 posts
1528 upvotes
Edmonton
SivaJay wrote:
Dec 16th, 2018 9:34 pm
So during the period under review, am I supposed to do the job search efforts? Kindly enlighten me.
Yes. Unless you don't want to receive benefits.
[OP]
Nov 4, 2018
8 posts
1 upvote
Hanniballs wrote:
Dec 16th, 2018 5:28 pm
Thank you. My claim has been processed and rest of the claims for the wait period also processed. Thanks for your comforting answer.
[OP]
Nov 4, 2018
8 posts
1 upvote
OldMarriedGuy wrote:
Dec 15th, 2018 11:03 pm
Pretty much. This isn’t self employment unless you’re going to do it on a regular basis.

It will likely take up to 4 weeks for them to make a decision on your claim now.
My claim has been processed, Yes waited 6 weeks, but all together all the claims were processed. Learned my lesson for being honest. Thanks for your time.