Parenting & Family

Regulation urged to protect kids from entertainers with criminal pasts (campaign resurrected in GTA)

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 1st, 2018 2:14 pm
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8694 upvotes
GTHA

Regulation urged to protect kids from entertainers with criminal pasts (campaign resurrected in GTA)

Related to the alleged serial killer Bruce McArthur previous criminal charges

Linda Beaudoin was outside the College Park courthouse when alleged serial killer Bruce McArthur, a former mall Santa Claus, appeared in court.

The Mississauga woman has resurrected her campaign for legislation that will make it mandatory for anyone working as a children’s entertainer to undergo a criminal background check and acquire a licence to ensure he or she is safe to work with kids.

“Some notorious people in the home entertainment industry — clowns or Santa Clau[/center]ses — have criminal records, including McArthur,” Beaudoin said. “He had a conviction for violence and yet worked with children.”

from http://torontosun.com/news/local-news/r ... inal-pasts
16 replies
May 31, 2011
16 posts
2 upvotes
CANADA
Its extremely important
Learn more at my youtube channel
Or my website
Thank you for agreeing !
We need to keep kids safe.
Cheers
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
3731 posts
1526 upvotes
Woodbridge
So this would basically be a vulnerable sector screening but she's proposing that it be expanded to anybody who works near/for children? Sounds reasonable. Parents need a vulnerable sector check to act as volunteers on school field trips or at school functions even with school staff present. Seems fair to ask the same of a mall Santa or a clown or other entertainer.
May 31, 2011
16 posts
2 upvotes
CANADA
Vulnerable sector check ok
But need to include a license
Entertainers are given access in homes in communities.
Entertainers must be regulated
Please support protecting kids
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
3731 posts
1526 upvotes
Woodbridge
CARINGONE wrote: Vulnerable sector check ok
But need to include a license
Entertainers are given access in homes in communities.
Entertainers must be regulated
Please support protecting kids
What would a license do to ensure safety that a vulnerable sector check wouldn't? Seems all a license would be is a tax.
May 31, 2011
16 posts
2 upvotes
CANADA
jvnanu wrote: What would a license do to ensure safety that a vulnerable sector check wouldn't? Seems all a license would be is a tax.
Adult entertainers (exotic dancers) are licensed they are self employed.
A drivers license is updated to ensure drivers qualify for renewal.
A license will help to verify and control those who choose to be in positions with access to children and homes in communities.
This is a matter of public safety.
Look up case of "Chad Bogle aka Bogle the clown"
His victim a mentally disabled woman.
Your text to link here...
Last edited by CARINGONE on May 11th, 2018 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2012
4102 posts
2980 upvotes
Kitchener
CARINGONE wrote: Adult entertainers (exotic dancers) are licensed they are self employed.
A drivers license is updated yearly to ensure drivers qualify for renewal.
A license will help to verify and control those who choose to be in positions with access to children and homes in communities.
Bolded the incorrect statement. Licenses generally last 5 years (at least in Ontario) and only a visual check (if needed) is done and some questions (more or less related to health). I do testing every 5 years for my 'Z' endorsement (air brakes) but that's it, pictures every 10 years.

As for the rest, it's a good start. Sad thing though, you're not going to be able to stop everything. There are still perps out there that haven't been caught, or they have deep pockets to pay off the right people, or simply they haven't done anything wrong yet. Take Bruce McAurthur, no record prior to Oct, 2001 (possibly 2003 -- as that is when his court case was). Yet we can almost certainly guarantee he was doing crap before that.

Personally, though, I think things like Santa Clause and clowns are creepy as hell. Why the hell would anyone let their children sit on some strangers red pants is beyond me. That's my opinion though. Perhaps I know too much, including knowing some cases. I've kept my kids clear of people that I haven't personally vetted, which is a long process for me.
Why can't we all just get along?
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
3731 posts
1526 upvotes
Woodbridge
CARINGONE wrote: Adult entertainers (exotic dancers) are licensed they are self employed.
A drivers license is updated yearly to ensure drivers qualify for renewal.
You still haven't answered what a license would do that a vulnerable sector check wouldn't. I'm a teacher. I don't have a license to teach. I'm a member of the Ontario College of Teachers; however, membership is not required to teach at private schools. Membership can be revoked for certain criminal activity but that criminal activity would also result in a failed vulnerable sector check. There is nothing that my OCT membership does to ensure my students' safety that the vulnerable sector check can't do.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
9295 posts
3156 upvotes
Mississauga
This is so ironic, as I 100percent agree with this.

What I find ironic is when my at the time 16 year old daughter had to do her volunteer hours for school, she volunteered at a daycare and had to get a criminal check in order to be around the kids.

And then there are these psychos (strangers, adult males) who no history checks being allowed access to the most vulnerable.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
May 31, 2011
16 posts
2 upvotes
CANADA
Thank you for correction what i meant to give as example was Adult entertainers (exotic dancers) who are self employed and have to have a yearly license.
Yes I realize its not 100% full proof as there are some who do not get caught however it still need be legislated versus leaving it open to anyone and those who would likely use it as a ruse even when in disguise.
Compiled over 125 cases of entertainers to show the need to regulate.
Look up Friendly the clown
Look up Bogle the clown
Both victims was mentally disabled women.
Look up "Ronald Brown puppeteer"
And the cases are appaulling.
See info at youtube channel Linda Beaudoin
I have been seeking regulations.
Had there of been regulations perhaps Stephen Lynn a magician could of been prevented Lynn from being around the child victim he targeted from his magic show Lynn has convictions (different places / countries) of sex crimes involving minors .
There are more cases to prove the need to regulate. One is a NAMBLA member telling other members how to be a mall Santa Claus This is very troubling
Keep kids safe and REGULATE.
Deal Guru
Jun 26, 2005
10111 posts
1966 upvotes
Toronto
jeff1970 wrote: Bolded the incorrect statement. Licenses generally last 5 years (at least in Ontario) and only a visual check (if needed) is done and some questions (more or less related to health). I do testing every 5 years for my 'Z' endorsement (air brakes) but that's it, pictures every 10 years.

As for the rest, it's a good start. Sad thing though, you're not going to be able to stop everything. There are still perps out there that haven't been caught, or they have deep pockets to pay off the right people, or simply they haven't done anything wrong yet. Take Bruce McAurthur, no record prior to Oct, 2001 (possibly 2003 -- as that is when his court case was). Yet we can almost certainly guarantee he was doing crap before that.

Personally, though, I think things like Santa Clause and clowns are creepy as hell. Why the hell would anyone let their children sit on some strangers red pants is beyond me. That's my opinion though. Perhaps I know too much, including knowing some cases. I've kept my kids clear of people that I haven't personally vetted, which is a long process for me.
Exactly!! My wife insists on putting our kid on the lap of a stranger. Many by now. I bet you many are pedofiles and get a hard on every time.
Deal Guru
Jun 26, 2005
10111 posts
1966 upvotes
Toronto
I do risk assessment for a living. Bottom line is, for parents if you want to keep your kids safe, then you must assume everyone is dangerous unless they are 100% monitored. Sounds harsh, but in reality, you cannot screen for pedophilia, horniness, violent thoughts, etc.

Volunteer police checks means nothing. It just means they have never been caught before. Doesn't mean they are a safe person. It is not 0 or 1 type of thing.

If I have a thing for little kids, where would I work? Teachers, clowns, Santa (now this is a big one, where else would parents WILLINGLY put kids on your lap, like 1-2cm away from your penis? And a new child every few minutes, talk about heaven on Earth).

Doctors: just think about that US Gymnast Dr Nassar. He was in a perfect position. Access to amazing young women, under aged, new ones every time. And parents willingly bring them to him.

Scouts: again, best volunteering if you were into kids.

Solution: Unless you have 100% video monitoring or in person monitoring (eg. you can see the leader/doctor/etc in person whenever the activity is going on with your kid), then assume something can happen.

DOn't have the false sense of security like, oh, they all passed their Police check.

Also, tell your children to inform you of anything, ask them afterwards what the leader/teacher did. Any touching, where, etc.

Even relatives. If I was your Uncle and actually a pedophile, would I actually tell you? Or would I take any opportunity to have your kid hug me, kiss me, or sit on my lap at a family dinner/picnic.

as a smart parent, watch out for these things. Be alert, be smart.

Until kids are old enough, they don't have the idea to watch out for themselves.

In conclusion, I don't need any regulations to help me protect my kids from these people. And their regulations are not realistically effective anyways.

parents: be your own protection/regulation for your kids.
May 31, 2011
16 posts
2 upvotes
CANADA
RFD RFD
You've made some very good points.
I agree regulations are not the only way to keep kids safe. Yes parents need monitor childrens activities always keeping in.mind at any opportunity a child can be vulnerable to sexual predators. So what if the parent is a pedophile? Then what? Society needs to do more to protect children. Regulations to keep pedophiles away from children is a no brainer. It is a must. Anyone coming up with excuses to avoid regulations we need ask ourselves why? Why would anyone oppose laws to keep children safe? Please support keeping children safe and stand up for regulations. Pedophiles don't want laws to prohibit access to kids.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2001
1754 posts
589 upvotes
GMA
The best way to push criminals toward crime is to prevent them to work. Having a criminal record should not prevent someone to be able to work except for specific cases where the committed crime and the potential work are similar. Like I wouldn't want a pedophile to be in situation where he'd be unsupervised with kids but should we prevent this person from mowing lawns commercially ?

I understand that these ideas are coming with good intents but there's undesired consequences to preventing convicted criminals to work. They've been sentenced already so we have to be careful by not adding another sentence by preventing them to get out of their criminal ways.
Penalty Box
Nov 13, 2010
7814 posts
1867 upvotes
Scarborough
How about saving or preventing kids from drugs and gangs in schools.......nobody talks about this obvious big problem in public schools in canada.........