Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2010
2505 posts
571 upvotes

Relaxed News bot policy

You complained and we listened. We have now relaxed the News bot policy in OT. You can now post a news article without posting a thought, opinion or question to start the conversation. As this is OT, I did have to define some guidelines to what is not acceptable.

Relaxed policy:

You don't have to start an news article with a question, opinion or thought to encourage the conversation.

News-bot Guidelines

1. No religious or political news articles

2. Any article with the intent to generalize/discriminate a race, ethnicity or sex will not be allowed.

3. Any article with the intention of starting an e-war or flame-war will not be allowed.

4. Please include in your post the first few paragraphs of the article, then provide a link underneath. This way those who don't want to be redirected off our site can still read the article.

As Always: Posts/Threads deemed inappropriate will be removed at the discretion of the admin/moderators.

Thanks!

Thanks Syne for the heads up about the potential about copyright infringement!
For all community related matters, please PM TomRFD
18 replies
Banned
Jan 4, 2009
2765 posts
200 upvotes
Wow, that is great. Thanks, Oran! Although I am a bit surprised by how the OP doesn't need to post a question or opinion. This should be encouraged to generate discussion and avoid spam.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 3, 2007
7562 posts
902 upvotes
Toronto
I agree a sub category like 'Current Events' would be more appropriate. I fear Off Topic will be flooded with stupid little news articles now with no content.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2008
6122 posts
983 upvotes
Fort Saskatchewan
projectmoonlightcafe wrote:
Feb 20th, 2013 10:23 am
Why not a sub-category?
appleb wrote:
Feb 20th, 2013 10:30 am
I agree a sub category like 'Current Events' would be more appropriate. I fear Off Topic will be flooded with stupid little news articles now with no content.
It was considered actually, and if need be it can be looked at again. For now this is the route we choose to take.
˙dlǝɥ ɹoɟ ǝɯ WԀ oʇ ǝɯoɔlǝʍ lǝǝℲ ˙spɹolɹǝʌO pℲɹ ʎɯ ɟo ǝɔᴉʌɹǝs uᴉ ƃuᴉʇɐɹǝpoW ʎlᴉddɐH
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2006
9765 posts
855 upvotes
I like the current event sub category idea.
Jul 5, 2004
22173 posts
2072 upvotes
appleb wrote:
Feb 20th, 2013 10:30 am
I think this is likely to happen at first. As with all things, it will be abused at first, but I think if the mods weather the storm a bit it will go back to normal with only the odd news article posted
Toronto Maple Leafs tickets for sale. PM me for details
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2010
2505 posts
571 upvotes
We will monitor the situation and if it gets to a point where all we get are just verbatim copies of news articles and no real discussions, then we will revisit the idea of having a sub forum for current events. Let's see how this goes and then we will evaluate how things are progressing and see what action, if any, needs to be taken.

Thanks
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13370 posts
1216 upvotes
Good stuff - a step in the right direction.
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2010
2505 posts
571 upvotes
Slight modification to the rule:

We will ask that you post the article in the post and a link, some users do not want to have to redirected off the site to read the article. Please be nice and include the article in your post and a link so those who want to visit an outside site can.

Thanks
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13370 posts
1216 upvotes
Hi Oranr,

Careful you're not posting full articles from pay sites. I know in the past that certain sites have made a stink about copyright infringement, because they feel that they are losing potential hits or subscribers on their site when people read the entire article from a link on a different site.

My suggestion is to post the first few paragraphs of the article, then provide a link underneath. This avoids any potential liability to RFD and gives readers a slice of information about the issue, as well as the ability to read further if interested.
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.
Penalty Box
Feb 9, 2003
16174 posts
1696 upvotes
Langley
Boooo urns. If I wanna read the news, I'll go to a news site. Pls make a separate forum.
Banned
Apr 27, 2010
6282 posts
443 upvotes
Help me
Would it make sense to have a sticky for all the news articles? Users looking for the latest news can go there and discuss in one big giant thread?