None
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2012
9823 posts
862 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
i6s1 wrote:
Mar 15th, 2013 1:34 am
Boooo urns. If I wanna read the news, I'll go to a news site. Pls make a separate forum.
Xactly... is RFD trying to be the next TMZ? or reddit? or LSA? or CNN? etc., etc. People know where to go and discuss topics on relevant sites.
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2002
2876 posts
446 upvotes
Wow, I'm disappointed and saddened to read this.

Republishing content from another site (even when a link is also posted) is copyright infringement, unless it is republished for journalistic/educational/discussion purpose.
Seeing as RFD Admin is encouraging users to not need bother to put any effort in generating discussion when they lift content from elsewhere, then when you get a cease-and-desist/copyright infringement suit, you won't even be able to claim that it was the user's fault.

That you're an advertising supported site and think this is acceptable is not only disappointing, it's disturbing.
I seem to recall over the years a handful of sites that lifted RFD content. Some of them just lifted the first post from a thread and put a link to it. The purpose of course - steal search engine hits from the content source and generate income from ad revenue due to the traffic that came to their site.

That's lazy, it's unethical, and it's something that is done by scum.

You should be encouraging discussion and member effort, not telling people it's okay to steal and post on a discussion forum without actually discussing anything.

Meanwhile, a current event news story thread -- the one on the disappearance of Tim Bosma [link] -- was locked this evening and moved to the archives by a moderator who said they couldn't be bothered to moderate. There were 45 people viewing the thread when I went to post an update in it and noticed it was *locked* and 32 viewers a half hour later when I noticed it had now been moved (and 27 viewers right now, 4 hours after it was locked). I PM'd the moderator who locked it/moved it, but an hour later it was still unread. Significant developments in this news story were happening this evening and the ability to discuss it was killed.

Brilliant..

PS: I had to go to another forum to read the latest discussion on that story: there were OVER 800 people currently viewing the thread there.
Banned
Jan 16, 2015
869 posts
84 upvotes
Toronto, ON
[QUOTE]1. No religious or political news articles.[/QUOTE]

Huhh? Most new is political. You might want to rethink this one, it makes no sense. Most topic currently are political.

[QUOTE]3. Any article with the intention of starting an e-war or flame-war will not be allowed.[/QUOTE]

Can you explain this is adult English? That makes no sense unless you live in a video game world of 12 year olds.
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13357 posts
1210 upvotes
I think that a bump of this thread is appropriate given recent events.
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.