Health & Wellness

Reliable Chinese Herbal Medicine Doctor?

  • Last Updated:
  • Nov 5th, 2018 10:34 am
[OP]
Newbie
Nov 23, 2016
69 posts
56 upvotes

Reliable Chinese Herbal Medicine Doctor?

Hey guys, anyone know of a trustworthy, honest Traditional Chinese Medicine Practioner in the GTA? I have tried tons but many of the ones I have tried did not help because they do it slow...

I know a few friends had went to one in Scarborough Dr. Benjamin Wu but he retired. He helped their bodies heal from various ailments.
30 replies
Penalty Box
User avatar
Apr 25, 2013
6902 posts
1203 upvotes
cohenkaplan wrote:
Oct 24th, 2018 7:25 pm
Hey guys, anyone know of a trustworthy, honest Traditional Chinese Medicine Practioner in the GTA? I have tried tons but many of the ones I have tried did not help because they do it slow...

I know a few friends had went to one in Scarborough Dr. Benjamin Wu but he retired. He helped their bodies heal from various ailments.
What are you looking to heal ? If you want something fast for sprains and bruises then generally martial artists are usually good at that. If you're looking for internal aliments then TCM masters with acupuncture certification is what you're looking for.

Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2012
3788 posts
394 upvotes
Ottawa
What about the guy from the old Kenny vs Spenny show? It was based in Toronto and the guy's probably still got his shop...
Deal Addict
Jun 23, 2010
1627 posts
215 upvotes
Markham
Don’t go
Chinese medicine = illegal poaching suffering and killing of endangered animals
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 31, 2017
3354 posts
1217 upvotes
PCUSER wrote:
Oct 25th, 2018 1:05 am
Don’t go
Chinese medicine = illegal poaching suffering and killing of endangered animals
Can be but not necessarily so. Some just use acupuncture.
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
5164 posts
498 upvotes
Are you not concerned that TCM is largely based on pseudoscience? Maybe that's why it didn't work ;)
Penalty Box
User avatar
Apr 25, 2013
6902 posts
1203 upvotes
amz155 wrote:
Oct 25th, 2018 2:17 pm
Are you not concerned that TCM is largely based on pseudoscience? Maybe that's why it didn't work ;)
LoL ...pseudoscience ? Just because western science can't explain it doesn't mean it's pseudoscience ! More and more health care centers around the world are adopting acupuncture and TCM as real alternatives in conjunction with western medicine to treat aliments that western medicine alone cannot treat effectively. Germany has incorporated TCM into their mainstream hospitals for over two decades now when Germans are the most analytical people in the world accept that it works !

Just one product off my head like a bottle of Yunnan Baiyao that you can buy off the shelf in Chinatown for under $10 won the Vietnam War ! Vietnamese soldiers were provided with Yunnan Baiyao from the Chinese to stop bleeding when shot, American soldiers needed a helo evacuation or face bleeding to death !
https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/ph ... nan-baiyao
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
5164 posts
498 upvotes
EdT586 wrote:
Oct 25th, 2018 8:59 pm
LoL ...pseudoscience ? Just because western science can't explain it doesn't mean it's pseudoscience ! More and more health care centers around the world are adopting acupuncture and TCM as real alternatives in conjunction with western medicine to treat aliments that western medicine alone cannot treat effectively. Germany has incorporated TCM into their mainstream hospitals for over two decades now when Germans are the most analytical people in the world accept that it works !

Just one product off my head like a bottle of Yunnan Baiyao that you can buy off the shelf in Chinatown for under $10 won the Vietnam War ! Vietnamese soldiers were provided with Yunnan Baiyao from the Chinese to stop bleeding when shot, American soldiers needed a helo evacuation or face bleeding to death !
https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/ph ... nan-baiyao
No science on the planet, east/west/north/south can provide proof that many TCM modalities work. Well, they do work at helping to ensure rhinos, pangolins, tigers risk extinction Angry Face
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 28, 2006
9759 posts
1424 upvotes
That's a faulty and unscientific generalization. TCM doesn't rely on rhinos, there are subs. Pangolins and Tigers have little value in TCM. In fact, most TCM ingredients are herbal medicine.

You didn't read all the mj in the planet, right? Does Aspirin work? Did you hear about Artemisinin? Do you know how university get research grants for studies? There is simply not enough money to study TCM from government and no pharmaceutical company will sponsor the research because it is difficult to apply for a patent. Some pharms may even see TCM as enemy by seeing how dirt cheap Artemisinin saved millions of lives. I don't deny that there is a portion of TCM is based on placebo effect, a part of it is even risky imo but it doesn't mean they don't work.
amz155 wrote:
Oct 26th, 2018 5:49 pm
No science on the planet, east/west/north/south can provide proof that many TCM modalities work. Well, they do work at helping to ensure rhinos, pangolins, tigers risk extinction Angry Face
Member
Nov 23, 2001
409 posts
25 upvotes
82 wrote:
Oct 29th, 2018 12:02 pm
That's a faulty and unscientific generalization. TCM doesn't rely on rhinos, there are subs. Pangolins and Tigers have little value in TCM. In fact, most TCM ingredients are herbal medicine.

You didn't read all the mj in the planet, right? Does Aspirin work? Did you hear about Artemisinin? Do you know how university get research grants for studies? There is simply not enough money to study TCM from government and no pharmaceutical company will sponsor the research because it is difficult to apply for a patent. Some pharms may even see TCM as enemy by seeing how dirt cheap Artemisinin saved millions of lives. I don't deny that there is a portion of TCM is based on placebo effect, a part of it is even risky imo but it doesn't mean they don't work.
I am a strong believer that science doesn't explain everything but everyone on this thread should at least read this book
https://www.amazon.ca/Trick-Treatment-A ... +treatment
Images
  • 51oK4iqmJ9L._SX318_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
[OP]
Newbie
Nov 23, 2016
69 posts
56 upvotes
Oh yeah because you know chemo and western medical treatments do cure you, right? I mean blasting a person to destroy all their cells to cure cancer must be the right way? Or how about just treat the symptoms and not the problem? How brainwashed some people are. It’s appalling. You think humans had modern medicine 1000 years ago? Humans have built the ancient and modern worlds. How do you think they survived?

You can’t cure a problem with just herbs, correct. You nerd a lifestyle and diet change and that requires discipline.
Member
Jan 18, 2017
340 posts
104 upvotes
amz155 wrote:
Oct 25th, 2018 2:17 pm
Are you not concerned that TCM is largely based on pseudoscience? Maybe that's why it didn't work ;)
+1.

By definition (I begin), alternative medicine (I continue) has either not been proved to work or been proved not to work. Do you know what they call alternative medicine that's been proved to work? Medicine.
-Tim Minchin

[OP]
Newbie
Nov 23, 2016
69 posts
56 upvotes
KevCnew wrote:
Nov 1st, 2018 9:09 am
+1.

By definition (I begin), alternative medicine (I continue) has either not been proved to work or been proved not to work. Do you know what they call alternative medicine that's been proved to work? Medicine.
-Tim Minchin

It works if you find a proper practicioner who is able to trrat the underlying cause. It’s an art. Medicine is an art. How often does Western medicine work the first time? Many people are still in the dark today after trying western meds so I don’t understand the point of this quote. Are we supposed to just give up and suffer then since west and herbal doesnt work? Logic.

And what I would like to know is if someone is seeking alternative treatment, why do you feel the need to step in and tell them they shouldn’t? What’s it to you? Seems more so of an aim to win an argument than to actually provide someone with advice.
Member
Jan 18, 2017
340 posts
104 upvotes
cohenkaplan wrote:
Nov 1st, 2018 11:50 am
It works if you find a proper practicioner who is able to trrat the underlying cause. It’s an art. Medicine is an art. How often does Western medicine work the first time? Many people are still in the dark today after trying western meds so I don’t understand the point of this quote. Are we supposed to just give up and suffer then since west and herbal doesnt work? Logic.

And what I would like to know is if someone is seeking alternative treatment, why do you feel the need to step in and tell them they shouldn’t? What’s it to you? Seems more so of an aim to win an argument than to actually provide someone with advice.
I disagree. Medicine is a science. That's why we have the scientific method and why we must rely on randomized double-blind (to remove bias) placebo-controlled (to prove efficacy) studies before relying on medical interventions. Only through this way, we can determine efficacy and safety of treatments.

Alternative medicine hasn't met any of these standards. At best you're tossing away money, but worse - you could also be actively harming yourself by alternative self-treatment. See chiropractors for example.

I'm not saying to give up if your "Western Medicine" treatment does not work, but continue to seek treatment with medical professionals (those who have attended medical school and specialists in their respective fields). You can always ask for a second (or third or fourth or fifth) opinion if you feel your doctor hasn't exhausted all his or her options. I haven't heard of any doctors that will give up on their patients/or turn them away and let them rot - that will surely make headlines in Canada.

And sure, in the future some of this TCM/Alternative Medicine may prove to show medicinal benefits (Alternative Medicine becoming Medicine) - it's best to allow research to be conducted and studies published before relying on them.

As for the why the need to stop them? I don't want scientifically-illiterate people to be taken advantage of (or get harmed in the process) rather than getting proper treatment. Or worse, not get proper treatment and have terrible consequences (Steve Jobs for example). Go to your doctor or the ER if something is wrong, we're lucky to live in a country with universal healthcare.
[OP]
Newbie
Nov 23, 2016
69 posts
56 upvotes
KevCnew wrote:
Nov 1st, 2018 12:38 pm
I disagree. Medicine is a science. That's why we have the scientific method and why we must rely on randomized double-blind (to remove bias) placebo-controlled (to prove efficacy) studies before relying on medical interventions. Only through this way, we can determine efficacy and safety of treatments.

Alternative medicine hasn't met any of these standards. At best you're tossing away money, but worse - you could also be actively harming yourself by alternative self-treatment. See chiropractors for example.

I'm not saying to give up if your "Western Medicine" treatment does not work, but continue to seek treatment with medical professionals (those who have attended medical school and specialists in their respective fields). You can always ask for a second (or third or fourth or fifth) opinion if you feel your doctor hasn't exhausted all his or her options. I haven't heard of any doctors that will give up on their patients/or turn them away and let them rot - that will surely make headlines in Canada.

And sure, in the future some of this TCM/Alternative Medicine may prove to show medicinal benefits (Alternative Medicine becoming Medicine) - it's best to allow research to be conducted and studies published before relying on them.

As for the why the need to stop them? I don't want scientifically-illiterate people to be taken advantage of (or get harmed in the process) rather than getting proper treatment. Or worse, not get proper treatment and have terrible consequences (Steve Jobs for example). Go to your doctor or the ER if something is wrong, we're lucky to live in a country with universal healthcare.
Scientifically “illiterate people?” Since when do you know my background over your keyboard? If that’s the case, not sure what you’re doing with your life with those type of super powers sitting on RFD.

In fact I know many surgeons working for hospitals downtown who rely on alternative medicine. Maybe make friends with people in high places before trying to act high and mighty. I’m not here to brag, so I don’t have to engage in a discussion to prove myself (as some people here want ti do), but I suggest you do some proper research on how the human body actually works, nourishes and heals itself.

I’m not here to argue or ask you for your opinion. I think as adults we understand and choose our own risks. If you want to save the world, I suggest going to help others who choose to use drugs and alcohol to self medicate. Because let’s sface it, you don’t give two shits about helping anyone. You’re just here to feed off a debate.

Top