Health & Wellness

Reliable Chinese Herbal Medicine Doctor?

  • Last Updated:
  • Nov 5th, 2018 10:34 am
Member
Jan 18, 2017
340 posts
104 upvotes
cohenkaplan wrote:
Nov 1st, 2018 1:36 pm
Scientifically “illiterate people?” Since when do you know my background over your keyboard? If that’s the case, not sure what you’re doing with your life with those type of super powers sitting on RFD.

In fact I know many surgeons working for hospitals downtown who rely on alternative medicine. Maybe make friends with people in high places before trying to act high and mighty. I’m not here to brag, so I don’t have to engage in a discussion to prove myself (as some people here want ti do), but I suggest you do some proper research on how the human body actually works, nourishes and heals itself.

I’m not here to argue or ask you for your opinion. I think as adults we understand and choose our own risks. If you want to save the world, I suggest going to help others who choose to use drugs and alcohol to self medicate. Because let’s sface it, you don’t give two shits about helping anyone. You’re just here to feed off a debate.
Ouch! I did not mean to offend and I apologize if it came across that way. And it was not my intention to be act "high and mighty". Just having a conversation!

This may help explain what I meant by scientific literacy/illiteracy:


And I didn't mean you, I meant my poor mom (and people like her) that spends hundreds/month on TCM without understanding the scientific method and randomized double-blind placebo-controlled studies as I outlined in my previous post.

But you're right - you weren't looking to discuss TCM so I'll just leave it at that. Good luck. Cheers,
[OP]
Newbie
Nov 23, 2016
69 posts
56 upvotes
KevCnew wrote:
Nov 1st, 2018 1:48 pm
Ouch! I did not mean to offend and I apologize if it came across that way. And it was not my intention to be act "high and mighty". Just having a conversation!

This may help explain what I meant by scientific literacy/illiteracy:


And I didn't mean you, I meant my poor mom (and people like her) that spends hundreds/month on TCM without understanding the scientific method and randomized double-blind placebo-controlled studies as I outlined in my previous post.

But you're right - you weren't looking to discuss TCM so I'll just leave it at that. Good luck. Cheers,
I appreciate your reply. I did not mean to come off as a douche, I have extensive backgrounds in both, so I am quite aware of both sides. I didn't come here to ask opinions, correct, just if someone knows of a good TCM practitioner. The problem is, many are out to get your money. But it's the same with your family doctor if he/she isn't a good doctor. They will just keep prescribing you different medications you don't need in order to rack in that OHIP. Finding a good doctor is difficult, in any aspects of life. Many good TCM Dr's will tell you if they cannot treat a problem. This goes for if the person's disease is too progressed or if the person is elderly. In which they prescribe herbal pain killers, which believe me work, without the damage NSAIDS have on your body. If you study herbalism and how it works, you will start to understand it is well suited for the human body. Humans for thousands of years have relied in herbal medicine. They were stronger and healthier. The youth today have deteriorated.

But I will not continue to have a debate on this any further as I know where it will end up.

Your mom may be spending money because she physically feels it's helping her or she feels she has no choice. But I would keep searching if I were her.
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2007
1518 posts
1126 upvotes
cohenkaplan wrote:
Nov 1st, 2018 8:35 pm
I have extensive backgrounds in both, so I am quite aware of both sides.

Humans for thousands of years have relied in herbal medicine. They were stronger and healthier. The youth today have deteriorated.

But I will not continue to have a debate on this any further as I know where it will end up.
It's a good thing you won't, because it would end up where your alleged background gets exposed.
cohenkaplan wrote:
Nov 1st, 2018 1:36 pm
In fact I know many surgeons working for hospitals downtown who rely on alternative medicine.
Since you made two identical threads about looking for a TCM doctor, maybe one day you could make a thread where expanding on the above would be on topic. Some of us would be interested to know what kinds of alternative medicine these many surgeons rely on.
[OP]
Newbie
Nov 23, 2016
69 posts
56 upvotes
bombdiggity wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2018 2:40 am
It's a good thing you won't, because it would end up where your alleged background gets exposed.



Since you made two identical threads about looking for a TCM doctor, maybe one day you could make a thread where expanding on the above would be on topic. Some of us would be interested to know what kinds of alternative medicine these many surgeons rely on.
Oh boy. Someone’s triggered. At the mere thought of someone’s knowledge. How do you survive in your day to day life if something so trivial sets you off?

Expose me, oh wise one.

Let me ask you this, since you know so much, which ancient physician's research is our modern medicine based on? Before you go googling this, I'm not talking about Hippocrates. That would be too easy for someone like you to Google.
Another question for you, oh wise on... Which books was on every single physicians desk in the United States of America before 1970?

Good luck.
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2007
1518 posts
1126 upvotes
cohenkaplan wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2018 10:40 am
Oh boy. Someone’s triggered. At the mere thought of someone’s knowledge. How do you survive in your day to day life if something so trivial sets you off?
There's nothing to indicate I was "triggered". I merely made one statement and one suggestion. Seems like the one "triggered" is you. How do you survive in your day to day life if something so trivial sets you off? Also, you haven't displayed any "knowledge" in this thread, but there's no reason why knowledge, let alone the thought of it, would "trigger" me. I am allergic to bullsht though.
cohenkaplan wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2018 10:40 am
Expose me, oh wise one.
As somebody who made claims such as humans being stronger and healthier a thousand years ago as well as youth being worse off today, you have done a good enough job exposing yourself without any additional help.
cohenkaplan wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2018 10:40 am
Let me ask you this, since you know so much, which ancient physician's research is our modern medicine based on? Before you go googling this, I'm not talking about Hippocrates. That would be too easy for someone like you to Google.
Another question for you, oh wise on... Which books was on every single physicians desk in the United States of America before 1970?

Good luck.
We learned this in science center in kindergarten, and none of it is relevant to your posts nor my reply. Hippocrates is also literally called "the father of modern medicine". Although you seem to have have made some incorrect assumptions on my stance on this topic, that too is irrelevant. What is relevant is that you boast about extensive background and knowledge but then contradict that with absurd claims. It is what it is.

Good luck with your many "surgeon" "friends in high places" and your search for a reliable TCM doctor.
[OP]
Newbie
Nov 23, 2016
69 posts
56 upvotes
bombdiggity wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2018 11:10 am
There's nothing to indicate I was "triggered". I merely made one statement and one suggestion. Seems like the one "triggered" is you. How do you survive in your day to day life if something so trivial sets you off? Also, you haven't displayed any "knowledge" in this thread, but there's no reason why knowledge, let alone the thought of it, would "trigger" me. I am allergic to bullsht though.
Oh so I must prove myself to you now sensei? This thread was to ask others who they have used, not come here and prove myself. Why do you want me to prove myself so bad? Because you have insecurities within yourself you felt the need to come here and ask me to prove my backgrounds. It triggered you. You sound like the typical miserable person who is bothered by someone who may have more knowledge than yourself.

bombdiggity wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2018 11:10 am
As somebody who made claims such as humans being stronger and healthier a thousand years ago as well as youth being worse off today, you have done a good enough job exposing yourself without any additional help.
Books and research are your friend. I'm not here to fast-track you into knowledge and learning. That you can not be lazy and do on your own time. Again, you're triggered.

bombdiggity wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2018 11:10 am
We learned this in science center in kindergarten, and none of it is relevant to your posts nor my reply. Hippocrates is also literally called "the father of modern medicine". Although you seem to have have made some incorrect assumptions on my stance on this topic, that too is irrelevant. What is relevant is that you boast about extensive background and knowledge but then contradict that with absurd claims. It is what it is.
Looks like you learned history in Kindergarten but didn't learn how to read? I already said it's not Hippocrates. Nice Googling you got there. There's another physician that books are based on but of course only people with "extensive" knowledge would know that. Before you challenge someone you should have the knowledge to back yourself up. You still didn't answer what books every physician on their desk had until the 1970s. I'm asking you questions that only people with some background would know. Since you know so much, oh wise one.
bombdiggity wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2018 11:10 am
Good luck with your many "surgeon" "friends in high places" and your search for a reliable TCM doctor.
I already said they used Benjamin Wu and he retired. School didn't teach you reading comprehension, I assume?
I'm loling so hard at the fact that you think surgeons and doctors are some supernatural hero beings that no one can know in day to day life. You're bothered by the fact that someone random online, whom you don't even know, knows educated people? And that bothers you? Rofl. Your life must be so simple. Oh simple joe. You attract what you project. Maybe that's your problem?
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2007
1518 posts
1126 upvotes
cohenkaplan wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2018 11:28 am
Oh so I must prove myself to you now sensei? This thread was to ask others who they have used, not come here and prove myself. Why do you want me to prove myself so bad? Because you have insecurities within yourself you felt the need to come here and ask me to prove my backgrounds. It triggered you. You sound like the typical miserable person who is bothered by someone who may have more knowledge than yourself.
I don't care what your background is or want you to prove your background. You made a claim about your background yourself in this thread and then proceeded to make statements that undermined and eradicated your own claim about your background. If you want to keep insisting that pointing this out means somebody is "triggered" then by all means continue to do so. You can also continue to froth at the mouth in angry posts to prove you actually are triggered by something so trivial as somebody pointing out your own contradictions. I don't think you have more knowledge than me, so there goes your logic about me having that to be bothered about.
cohenkaplan wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2018 11:28 am
Books and research are your friend. I'm not here to fast-track you into knowledge and learning. That you can not be lazy and do on your own time. Again, you're triggered.
The only "books and research" needed to know your statements about human health a thousand years ago are nonsense is a high school science/biology textbook. Thank you for not fast tracking me into knowledge and learning since that would make me feel sad considering how much time and effort I spent on that already.
cohenkaplan wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2018 11:28 am
Looks like you learned history in Kindergarten but didn't learn how to read? I already said it's not Hippocrates. Nice Googling you got there. There's another physician that books are based on but of course only people with "extensive" knowledge would know that. Before you challenge someone you should have the knowledge to back yourself up.
Ironic considering you're the one who seems not to have learned how to read. I know you said it's not him, that doesn't change the fact that he is the figure whom modern medicine is most attributed to being from, which I pointed out. You may have heard of the Hippocratic Oath. Oh nevermind, you'd have to Google it to know, am I right? If you could read, you would also know that your extensive knowledge exists in science center, accessible to children.
cohenkaplan wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2018 11:28 am
I already said they used Benjamin Wu and he retired. School didn't teach you reading comprehension, I assume?
Uh, from the OP:
Reliable Chinese Herbal Medicine Doctor?
Hey guys, anyone know of a trustworthy, honest Traditional Chinese Medicine Practioner in the GTA? I have tried tons but many of the ones I have tried did not help because they do it slow...

I know a few friends had went to one in Scarborough Dr. Benjamin Wu but he retired.
You made two threads asking for somebody to recommend a TCM doctor, but I'm the one with no reading comprehension because I said good luck on your search for a TCM doctor? You take self-owned to a whole new level, like an art form. Maybe I should report this thread to be closed since it's a troll thread and you're not looking for a TCM doctor. You need to make a PSA about which schools you went to so that parents can not enroll their children there. Please do the right thing.
cohenkaplan wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2018 11:28 am
I'm loling so hard at the fact that you think surgeons and doctors are some supernatural hero beings that no one can know in day to day life.
More lack of reading comprehension irony displayed. That is not it at all, but you said many rely on alternative medicine, which is a stretch, so I was actually curious for you to expand on that since alternative is very broad and rely on is very vague. There is also the issue of your surgeon doctor friends allowing you to make claims that are at odds with their field/knowledge. It's like being an anti-vaxxer and being unchecked by your friends. Not impossible, but highly unlikely.
cohenkaplan wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2018 11:28 am
You're bothered by the fact that someone random online, whom you don't even know, knows educated people? And that bothers you? Rofl. Your life must be so simple. Oh simple joe. You attract what you project. Maybe that's your problem?
I think I know what your extensive knowledge base, education, and research is in...arm-chair psychology. I hope I win something for getting this right.
[OP]
Newbie
Nov 23, 2016
69 posts
56 upvotes
bombdiggity wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2018 12:15 pm
I don't care what your background is or want you to prove your background. You made a claim about your background yourself in this thread and then proceeded to make statements that undermined and eradicated your own claim about your background. If you want to keep insisting that pointing this out means somebody is "triggered" then by all means continue to do so. You can also continue to froth at the mouth in angry posts to prove you actually are triggered by something so trivial as somebody pointing out your own contradictions. I don't think you have more knowledge than me, so there goes your logic about me having that to be bothered about.



The only "books and research" needed to know your statements about human health a thousand years ago are nonsense is a high school science/biology textbook. Thank you for not fast tracking me into knowledge and learning since that would make me feel sad considering how much time and effort I spent on that already.



Ironic considering you're the one who seems not to have learned how to read. I know you said it's not him, that doesn't change the fact that he is the figure whom modern medicine is most attributed to being from, which I pointed out. You may have heard of the Hippocratic Oath. Oh nevermind, you'd have to Google it to know, am I right? If you could read, you would also know that your extensive knowledge exists in science center, accessible to children.



Uh, from the OP:



You made two threads asking for somebody to recommend a TCM doctor, but I'm the one with no reading comprehension because I said good luck on your search for a TCM doctor? You take self-owned to a whole new level, like an art form. Maybe I should report this thread to be closed since it's a troll thread and you're not looking for a TCM doctor. You need to make a PSA about which schools you went to so that parents can not enroll their children there. Please do the right thing.



More lack of reading comprehension irony displayed. That is not it at all, but you said many rely on alternative medicine, which is a stretch, so I was actually curious for you to expand on that since alternative is very broad and rely on is very vague. There is also the issue of your surgeon doctor friends allowing you to make claims that are at odds with their field/knowledge. It's like being an anti-vaxxer and being unchecked by your friends. Not impossible, but highly unlikely.



I think I know what your extensive knowledge base, education, and research is in...arm-chair psychology. I hope I win something for getting this right.
TLDR. You realise how much energy you invested in me right? On my own thread, which you chose to come and derail, yourself? LOL. Your insecurities wreak so bad. It’s amusing. What are you trying to gain from a thread you chose to come on and start a debate with a random person? What does that say about you?

I am not benefiting from this conversation and you have no benefit to provide me or for my time, for that reason, I’m out. Have a good one.
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2007
1518 posts
1126 upvotes
cohenkaplan wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2018 12:25 pm
TLDR. You realise how much energy you invested in me right? On my own thread, which you chose to come and derail, yourself? LOL. Your insecurities wreak so bad. It’s amusing. Have a good one.
Typing some words by moving my fingers didn't require much energy on my part, but frothing at the mouth like a rabid dog in anger probably did for you. Comments like these amuse me.

You're the one who said you wouldn't debate here so I pointed out that's a good thing and then suggested perhaps in future you could make a new thread for discussion. You chose to reply, which is fine. My post saying good luck was also a way to end things since you were so triggered and rabid, but again you chose to reply, which is fine. But don't talk about derailing being my fault. You were already discussing off topic things before I posted and I didn't force you to reply to me.

The reason why you had to keep doing so was precisely because my initial post bothered you so much because of your insecurities. Instead of addressing the topic of my post, you went nuts bringing up a bunch of irrelevant fallacious arguments because your apparently huge ego was bruised. It's amusing. Good luck on your troll thread of not actually looking for a TCM doctor.
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2007
1518 posts
1126 upvotes
cohenkaplan wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2018 12:25 pm
What are you trying to gain from a thread you chose to come on and start a debate with a random person? What does that say about you?
As to your edit, repeating myself here: You posted that you had extensive backgrounds in western medicine and alternative "traditional" medicine. You posted a nonsense claim about the state of human and also specifically youth health at present compared to human health a thousand years ago. You posted to another member telling him he should make friends with "people in high places" such as yourself because you have so many friends who are surgeons, who apparently rely on alternative medicine. I had a problem with these things seemingly contradicting each other. If you feel like you can say those things and entitled to being free from others posting about them in a thread on a public discussion forum what does that say about you? Start a debate? If you are so ego sensitive that you don't want to discuss things you say in your posts on a discussion forum, or to even have people reply to your posts, don't post.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 28, 2006
9760 posts
1424 upvotes
Stereotype is not science but that's basically the only thing I read in this thread. When you hear Mayo started to provide TCM treatment, it's time to open your mind.

There is science behind TCM, but most have not been proven using modern methodology for the reasons I mentioned earlier, it doesn't mean they don't work or they are evil but since they didn't go thru large-scale systematic studies, we have to be careful when consider it as an option (Artemisinin is a rare exception because it saved so many lives). Nevertheless, you can find lots of small studies from reliable source, here are some meta-studies from H1N1 patients, for those who don't not know, Tamiflu is the drug of choice for H1N1. TCM Herbs is doing quite well compared to a multi-billions drug molecule. These aren't double-blind studies but good enough to support TCM as evidence based medi.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26935853
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22164232

And here’s a study for fascinating TCM pulse diag
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3171770/

There is no wild animal involved in these studies, but be aware that some TCM treatments can be dangerous, especially if you have kidney condition. Always consult with your doctor and pharmacist first.
Penalty Box
User avatar
Apr 25, 2013
6902 posts
1203 upvotes
82 wrote:
Oct 29th, 2018 12:02 pm
That's a faulty and unscientific generalization. TCM doesn't rely on rhinos, there are subs. Pangolins and Tigers have little value in TCM. In fact, most TCM ingredients are herbal medicine.

You didn't read all the mj in the planet, right? Does Aspirin work? Did you hear about Artemisinin? Do you know how university get research grants for studies? There is simply not enough money to study TCM from government and no pharmaceutical company will sponsor the research because it is difficult to apply for a patent. Some pharms may even see TCM as enemy by seeing how dirt cheap Artemisinin saved millions of lives. I don't deny that there is a portion of TCM is based on placebo effect, a part of it is even risky imo but it doesn't mean they don't work.
Not just that, TCM can "cure" aliments that big pharma can't or won't because they want life long dependency on their drugs which is in reality license addiction ! This is what is really wrong with western medicine ...it doesn't cure, but merely cover up the aliments like pain killers !
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 28, 2006
9760 posts
1424 upvotes
I know where are you coming from but I still want to emphasize that Western Medicine should still be the primary option. The risk of TCM is when people believe it is the only choice and ignore or miss the treatment opportunities.
EdT586 wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2018 12:10 pm
Not just that, TCM can "cure" aliments that big pharma can't or won't because they want life long dependency on their drugs which is in reality license addiction ! This is what is really wrong with western medicine ...it doesn't cure, but merely cover up the aliments like pain killers !
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
4665 posts
780 upvotes
Toronto
I use tcm myself but only for non serious or life threatening like acne or general health maintenance (flush out toxins).
Penalty Box
User avatar
Apr 25, 2013
6902 posts
1203 upvotes
82 wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2018 12:37 pm
I know where are you coming from but I still want to emphasize that Western Medicine should still be the primary option. The risk of TCM is when people believe it is the only choice and ignore or miss the treatment opportunities.
Even true TCM practitioners in China suggest a combination of both as the most effective treatments. Western medicine is good for trauma type injuries that require immediate pain killing or surgery while TCM is is good for aliment that are internal with no visible injury marks.

Top