Shopping Discussion

reliable vacuum cleaner brands

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 14th, 2019 9:19 am
[OP]
Nov 8, 2017
10 posts

reliable vacuum cleaner brands

I've gone through 3 vacuum cleaners in 3 years so far, would like to know if there is a place that lists brand reliability?
I'm not looking for personal opinions or experiences, just an objective list.
Looking for upright or canister vacuums. thanks
16 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2018
1285 posts
904 upvotes
sahands334 wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 12:44 pm
I've gone through 3 vacuum cleaners in 3 years so far, would like to know if there is a place that lists brand reliability?
I'm not looking for personal opinions or experiences, just an objective list.
Looking for upright or canister vacuums. thanks

See here.
The first person you should love, is yourself. Otherwise you are asking others to do something that you refuse to do yourself.
[OP]
Nov 8, 2017
10 posts
That list doesn't talk about reliability, what's the point of having the most powerful vacuum if it doesn't work!?
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2003
4819 posts
809 upvotes
Mississauga
which 3 vacuums did you own in 3 years?

motor died? didn't clean/replace filters?

I've used 1 vacuum in the past decade...
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2018
1285 posts
904 upvotes
sahands334 wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 1:02 pm
That list doesn't talk about reliability, what's the point of having the most powerful vacuum if it doesn't work!?
Reliability is normally not a problem with vacuum cleaners. I wonder what you do with your vacuum cleaners... We never had one dying on us.

Kenmore (Sears - now from America only) have been very reliable. Panasonic is also another good brand. We still have a Black & Decker from the 1980's still going strong. Also have 2 Kenmore upright, a Dirt Devil from the 90's and a small Eureka for the stairs.

I remember when I was a university student people would leave vacuum cleaners in the garbage room of my building and I would pick them up, clean them and everything was working fine.
The first person you should love, is yourself. Otherwise you are asking others to do something that you refuse to do yourself.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
7004 posts
4520 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Kenmore vacuums are / were AMAZING
They are built strong and last
Like others, we’ve had ours for well over a decade

Tough to find though now that Sears Canada has gone belly up
And with Sears USA not far behind.. that alone might warrant a trip stateside for a look see

Everything else ... meh
Used Dirt Devils & Sharks and other stuff at rental cottages, and family / friends homes
And NOTHING performs like my Kenmore
(Although an old Hoover came close at a rental once)

Have not used a Dyson, but heard they too are great. Just Uber expensive
That’s probably what i’ll be buying the next time

PS... know what is also great... my shop vac
Those suckers do it all.
On my second in 40+ years.
Black & Decker and Stanley two brands I can recommend there
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
18222 posts
1728 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Here, read though this guys AMA on Reddit.

Repair tech AMA

I think general consensus at the moment is Miele though. I have a soft sport for Filter Queens. They'll last for damn ever. Only issue is they are heavy and annoying to move around and the filters are expensive. I'd be very surprised if you could break a Filter Queen in 1 year though. I know people who still have ones working from the 80's. Mostly relegated to the garage but they still work.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
5059 posts
1450 upvotes
Alberta
Electrolux is what we have and no problems yet. Bissel is probably another good brand. Dirty filters is what usually kills the vacuum cleaner.
May 28, 2012
9969 posts
2111 upvotes
Saskatoon
I've had a Dyson canister vac for close to ten years. Had a couple of Kenmores prior to that but didn't want to buy bags any more. Might switch to a Miele when this one dies - too bad you have to buy bags for those.
Jun 5, 2016
346 posts
344 upvotes
Mars2012 wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 2:53 pm
I've had a Dyson canister vac for close to ten years. Had a couple of Kenmores prior to that but didn't want to buy bags any more. Might switch to a Miele when this one dies - too bad you have to buy bags for those.
Miele has a canister vacuum now but I still prefer the bag for the extra filtration & no mess clean up.
Sep 28, 2017
279 posts
169 upvotes
i don't think it's a case of what lasts the longest and is more reliable. it's more to the fact of how well you keep it clean and what you are using it to clean..... i've had cheap ones to the more expensive dyson one we use now and they all worked and lasted years. in fact our dirt devil we have had for well over 10 years now was free (left behind by the previous house owner we bought the house from) and it still has it's full day one power ! but we bought the dyson V6 because we needed a second one for small jobs and easier to take from main floor to upper floor. the dirt devil is a full size upright and we now use it for the basement cleaning.

if you are sucking up tons of animal hair or dirt in a garage or front foyer then it's going to put strain on the motor having to work harder, so you have to clean the filer and brush often.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
8616 posts
1936 upvotes
London
PointsHubby wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 1:42 pm
Kenmore vacuums are / were AMAZING
They are built strong and last
Like others, we’ve had ours for well over a decade
Kenmore is just a label. The actual units were made by Panasonic in most cases.
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2018
1285 posts
904 upvotes
And Panasonic makes very reliable vacuum cleaners ;)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)