Home & Garden

Reliance Home Comfort --- home service plan SUCKS!!

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 22nd, 2017 7:40 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Mar 18, 2007
198 posts
57 upvotes
Toronto

Reliance Home Comfort --- home service plan SUCKS!!

Well, I thought I was being smart by switching from Direct Energy to Reliance for a home service plan for my AC and Furnace.

On Tuesday I noticed that my AC was causing a leak in my basement furnace room. I called Reliance at 10am to book a service call. Turns out they use subcontractors for their work so they passed my info to their subcontractor. The sub calls and leaves a message 5 hours later. I call back and no one calls me. I call again on Wednesday twice and I am finally told that their first available appointment is FRIDAY NIGHT!!!!! There is no way that direct energy would take 96 hours to respond to a call!!!! I had to shut off my AC because it was flooding the basement.

I tried to escalate the matter but Reliance is great at lip service but they have no employees to back it up!

Stay away from RELIANCE if you live in the GTA!!
17 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2007
1159 posts
94 upvotes
Brampton
The problem is that people wait until the hot weather arrives before testing their a/c out. The hot weather came early this year and took many by surprise. You should test your a/c out sooner so you aren't sweating it out waiting for a service call in a period of peak demand for service, which would be during the first heat wave of the year.

Perhaps Direct energy would have been faster, but likely they are stretched thin at this time as well and waits are higher than normal.

I would assume the a/c companies would also be busy doing installations during the first heat wave, so they would be spread pretty thin at this time, and supply and demand dictates you have to wait longer in periods of heavy demand.

In the meantime, I would check the water line out of your furnace/ac coil to make sure it is connected properly and has no blockages or kinks.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 6, 2004
6271 posts
276 upvotes
GT'eh
I am considering getting this plan for the summer and cancel it in August and maybe get it again in Winter to cover the cost of servicing my A/C in the summer and furnace in the Winter. The $15 per month fee they charge is considerably less than hiring a technician when something goes wrong.

Anyone else have stories about this Reliant protection plan?
Ne0's items:Finito
♠ G@mer & t3<h [onnoisseur ♠ Spitting t3<hy lingo since the 80's

Send PM's HERE♠ eBay|600+ ♠ | XB360 GT:Ask? ♠ PSN ID:ILLmatic_KINGPIN
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2009
1208 posts
57 upvotes
They are 'ok' at best. I used to work for RHC. If you have their protection plan be prepared for constant telemarketing phone calls and the techs will try to get you to replace your equipment.
almost any HVAC company will do the monthly service plans, Aire One does as well.
Usually there's a reason a company is "cheap". Value and cheap are different. Value means best product/service for the dollar spent. Cheap is just that. Cheap.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
10287 posts
2027 upvotes
GTA
janaka wrote:
May 27th, 2010 10:21 am
the techs will try to get you to replace your equipment.
EVERY tech that has ever come to our house to service the furnace/AC has tried to get us to replace our equipment.
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2009
1208 posts
57 upvotes
Hugh Jass wrote:
May 27th, 2010 10:47 am
EVERY tech that has ever come to our house to service the furnace/AC has tried to get us to replace our equipment.
how old is the equipment?
Usually there's a reason a company is "cheap". Value and cheap are different. Value means best product/service for the dollar spent. Cheap is just that. Cheap.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2008
1177 posts
29 upvotes
Sarnia
Never had any complaints with Reliance. They fixed my water heater quickly and they came checked out the boiler as well when I called.

No a/c service repair can come right away during a hot spell. I just called this mornhing to the local installer here and they told me it would be Tues/Weds at the earliest they could come and do an inspection.
Even a fool, when he holdeth his peace, is counted wise: and he that shutteth his lips is esteemed a man of understanding. Proverbs 17;28
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
10287 posts
2027 upvotes
GTA
janaka wrote:
May 27th, 2010 4:00 pm
how old is the equipment?
Furnace is about 20 but was maintained yearly by previous owners brother who's a hvac guy. It probably wastes gas bit is quite reliable.

AC is 8, never had a problem with it.

We get them serviced every other year, before their respective season.
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2009
1208 posts
57 upvotes
Hugh Jass wrote:
May 27th, 2010 4:58 pm
Furnace is about 20 but was maintained yearly by previous owners brother who's a hvac guy. It probably wastes gas bit is quite reliable.

At 20yrs its worth looking into replacing most likely. It *may* last a few more but the rebates do offset some of the cost and then utility savings ontop of that....
May 24, 2003
931 posts
42 upvotes
Hugh Jass wrote:
May 27th, 2010 4:58 pm

We get them serviced every other year, before their respective season.
At 20 years I would've told you the same thing, and it would've been in your best interest to do it when all the rebates were available. Now you have half the rebates available, and those will not be here forever.

But apparently every service tech is out to hose you to replace your equipment, even those on the internet who have absolutely no financial gain in your decision. Oh and just because someone works in the HVAC industry doesn't mean there equipment is kept up to snub. I work enough cleaning/servicing equipment and the last thing i want to do is to do work at home .
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2009
1208 posts
57 upvotes
Munchos wrote:
May 27th, 2010 8:57 pm
I work enough cleaning/servicing equipment and the last thing i want to do is to do work at home .
ain't this the truth! like everyone else, after work i wanna put my feet up and relax or see my family not do more work.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
10287 posts
2027 upvotes
GTA
janaka wrote:
May 27th, 2010 9:28 pm
ain't this the truth! like everyone else, after work i wanna put my feet up and relax or see my family not do more work.
I agree 100%. But in my case it was the guys brother, so it seems he did a good job.
Apr 19, 2017
0 posts
I'm not sure which Reliance you are talking about but Reliance Home Comfort uses no sub contractors. I don't have any affiliation with them but I have been in the service business for many, many years. There are what we call .....the 5 percenters. No matter how hard you try or bend over backwards for, will not be happy. Probably 2 percent of those are the screamers. They will concoct the must absurd, distorted story's just to be heard. You would have to ask a psychologist to do a work up on that. For sure some some sort of borderline personality disorder.

All customer service companies out there will do any reasonable thing possible to make a happy customer. It's just some people are beyond reason. These same people have devastating problems with eeevvvvryyyy single company they deal with. Their own personal relationships are also in tatters. Conflict with everyone.

Fortunatly most companies have just come to expect the 5 percenters and even the 2 percent screamers and have to move on. Retailers, customer service providers don't lose sleep. They just go that extra mile for the reasonable remaining 95 percent making their experiences that much better.
Mar 3, 2009
618 posts
146 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
^ Congratulations on creating a new account to reply to a 5 year old post. Welcome to RFD.