Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2013
2126 posts
1449 upvotes
Durham

Relocating Bell fibe dry loop modem

I have no idea why, but I had Bell place the fibe modem in the basement (previous home I had no issues). However the reception is horrible. I use an extender, but I find the quality isn't great and I'd like to keep things simple. Seeing as this is installed as a dry loop, how can I relocate it to an upper floor on my own? Or does Bell have to do it?

Thanks,
6 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2013
2126 posts
1449 upvotes
Durham
Anyone? I really don't want to pay Bell to come and relocate the modem.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2002
4235 posts
880 upvotes
Ottawa
As long as it isn't true fibre optic service, and is one of the xDSL services that Bell markets as "Fibe", you can move it yourself. You should be able to plug it into another phone jack in your house, or just run an extension to the next floor up from where it is now if you don't have another phone jack that works.

Poor wireless performance can be a result of many things, including an overabundance of wifi routers in your neighbourhood. In that case, you may be forced to switch to a dual band router with 5 GHz to escape the cluttered airwaves.

Let me know a little more about your situation, and I can help you out without having to call Bell.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2013
2126 posts
1449 upvotes
Durham
I'll give it a shot today. I didn't think it would work on any other phone line since I have no house phone and the lines wouldn't be connected. But I'm no pro when it comes to this stuff.

I have a newer home with one of those "smart boxes" I guess you can call it. Every room has ethernet jacks, but we don't utilize that. My PS3 runs off the modem in the basement perfectly fine. Its the upper level that suffers mainly.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2012
2319 posts
620 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
Kkhan15 wrote: I'll give it a shot today. I didn't think it would work on any other phone line since I have no house phone and the lines wouldn't be connected. But I'm no pro when it comes to this stuff.

I have a newer home with one of those "smart boxes" I guess you can call it. Every room has ethernet jacks, but we don't utilize that. My PS3 runs off the modem in the basement perfectly fine. Its the upper level that suffers mainly.
Do you know if you have FTTN or FTTH? As that will make a big difference. What speeds are you signed up for?

FTTN: you should be able to use the telephone jacks

FFTH: you will have 2 devices from bell, the white one that has an Ethernet port going to the Black router? In that case you can use your Ethernet ports to send the signal to your router upstairs. However, you won't be able to use any other of the ports in the house then
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2013
2126 posts
1449 upvotes
Durham
Crzyrio wrote: Do you know if you have FTTN or FTTH? As that will make a big difference. What speeds are you signed up for?

FTTN: you should be able to use the telephone jacks

FFTH: you will have 2 devices from bell, the white one that has an Ethernet port going to the Black router? In that case you can use your Ethernet ports to send the signal to your router upstairs. However, you won't be able to use any other of the ports in the house then
I'm thinking it's FFTH, I'm not home but I am pretty sure there is a small white box going to the router. Would you suggest I invest in a proper router, as opposed to the extender I have now? Seem's to be the easiest solution if I am setup with FFTH.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2012
2319 posts
620 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
Kkhan15 wrote: I'm thinking it's FFTH, I'm not home but I am pretty sure there is a small white box going to the router. Would you suggest I invest in a proper router, as opposed to the extender I have now? Seem's to be the easiest solution if I am setup with FFTH.
Yeah, If your ok with spending a bit I would invest in a 2nd router instead of using the repeater. You can connect your bell modem to a jack in the basement and have the 2nd router upstairs.

I have my Bell router in the basement and it is used to wire all home theather equipment. I also have an Ethernet jack that runs up to a second router on the top floor, which is in access point mode and it services the rest of the house.

Should be an easy fix either way. I think I misinformed on the Ethernet jacks. How are your Ethernet jacks connected? Does each room have one, and if so where do all these connections go?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)