Remembrance Day corporate advertisements

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 8th, 2019 3:44 pm
[OP]
Nov 19, 2011
11 posts
34 upvotes

Remembrance Day corporate advertisements

Opened up the latest flyers in this week's paper, and saw these at the top of the front pages of the Walmart and Metro flyers:
IMG_20191107_051122.jpg
15731216857413514333736952712369.jpg

Yes, I am offended by these messages, especially that of Walmart, because these stores don't really give a rat's arse. They don't mean what they say. Walmart - "forever grateful"? What a stinking load of B.S. WMT is an American company, they don't care one bit about Canada's veterans/fallen soldiers/etc. If Walmart and Metro actually cared, all of their stores would be closed on Remembrance Day. All retail/grocery stores (and, for that matter, all businesses in Canada) should be closed every November 11th, no ifs ands or buts about it, and employees' attendance at a Remembrance Day ceremony should be mandatory and not optional. If it wasn't for our veterans (including my grandfather, a WWII vet in his 90s) and fallen soldiers, these companies probably wouldn't exist. To heck with Walmart and Metro... maybe I won't shop at either store ever again because of this crap in their flyers.
Last edited by Guest2738483 on Nov 7th, 2019 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title edit
15 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
1820 posts
796 upvotes
Vancouveresque
Workers deserve a day off. All the rest is.. not really that big of a deal. Walmart being closed won't bring those that died back.
employees' attendance at a Remembrance Day ceremony should be mandatory and not optional.
Isn't fighting this sort of authoritarianism what WWII was all about? :rolleyes:
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
16582 posts
8943 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
BoredOp wrote:
Nov 7th, 2019 5:27 am
Yes, I am offended by these messages, especially that of Walmart, because these stores don't really give a rat's arse. They don't mean what they say. Walmart - "forever grateful"? What a stinking load of B.S. WMT is an American company, they don't care one bit about Canada's veterans/fallen soldiers/etc.
I find this far preferable to the actions of a Canadian icon, e.g.
"Tim Hortons has apologized to a Royal Canadian Legion member who was stopped from selling poppies outside an outlet in Midland, Ont."
Controversial poppy doughnut sold at Calgary Tim Hortons pulled after social media stir

[I realize that Timmies is no longer owned by Canadians, but that's beside the point.]

If Walmart and Metro actually cared, all of their stores would be closed on Remembrance Day. All retail/grocery stores (and, for that matter, all businesses in Canada) should be closed every November 11th, no ifs ands or buts about it, and employees' attendance at a Remembrance Day ceremony should be mandatory and not optional. If it wasn't for our veterans (including my grandfather, a WWII vet in his 90s) and fallen soldiers, these companies probably wouldn't exist. To heck with Walmart and Metro... maybe I won't shop at either store ever again because of this crap in their flyers.
So your beef isn't with Walmart and Metro but rather with all Canadians in general and all businesses operating in Canada, regardless of ownership, in particular.

Would I be correct to assume that when you attend annual Remembrance Day ceremonies you do so proudly wearing your Canadian Forces uniform? (If not then why aren't you practicing the patriotism you preach by following in your grandfather's footsteps? No need to answer.)
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
1743 posts
1036 upvotes
Just Moved To Somewh…
@BoredOp You do realize that Walmart also recognizes the day in the U.S.A. It is just named Veterans Day in that country.
“Before one can have a Clue they must first accumulate 10 Inklings. That said, all it takes is one bad post and you erase all Clues accumulated'"
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
8825 posts
2245 upvotes
London
I bet your next post is going to be complaining about xmas decorations before nov 11.
Jul 15, 2003
655 posts
173 upvotes
Ottawa
Ottomaddox wrote:
Nov 7th, 2019 12:03 pm
I bet your next post is going to be complaining about xmas decorations before nov 11.
Not any more, it's going to be about you using xmas instead of Christmas Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
1642 posts
485 upvotes
Toronto
Remembrance day is not a holiday. Businesses still need to operate. Kids still need to go to school.

Are you trying to say the Canadian side of Walmart's business can't honour those that have fallen? Some businesses operate in multiple countries. Each side of the business in the various countries probably does something like this in their respective country.

Would it be better if no company ever mentions anything about Remembrance Day? :rolleyes:
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
16582 posts
8943 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
1642 posts
485 upvotes
Toronto
bylo wrote:
Nov 7th, 2019 3:15 pm
Actually it is a federal statutory holiday in most of Canada. See Statutory holidays for federal employees... "the following holidays are mandated by federal legislation for federally regulated employees. All banks and post offices commemorate these holidays, and they are statutory in some provinces and territories."

As for whether it should be as the OP seems to suggest, no less an authority than the Legion disagrees:
Sorry, I just meant it's not a holiday like Labour Day and Christmas where all companies and businesses are closed. Actually, I have no idea what Labour Day is. I never bothered looking it up and I can't recall if anybody ever explained it to me. The only thing anybody cares about is you get the day off, which is exactly what you quoted above -> "Over time, the holiday side of the day may overtake the meaning of the day, and the tradition of pausing in our daily routine to observe a moment of silence for Fallen Veterans may be lost," the Legion said in a brief to Parliament.

At least when I was in school I learned some stuff about the war and what Remembrance Day is about (again, this is exactly what you quoted above).
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2003
6803 posts
1456 upvotes
T dot 6
OP, is this your thing. You are super bored so you ONLY make negative posts and upvotes crapping on charities and retailers like 9 posts over 8 years? You have nothing positive or else to contribute to RFD?

stubhub and clearly.ca suck, like really suck
[OP]
Nov 19, 2011
11 posts
34 upvotes
Fine. I'm leaving RFD and never using it again. I'm shutting down my account. All because you people aren't seeing the kinds of posts that you want to see and because you totally crap all over people like me who have the unconditional right to complain.

Nobody will listen to me. Nobody will hear me out when it comes to retail, shopping and related topics. You people won't listen to me. Store staff won't listen to me. Corporate offices won't listen to me. Not even my god damn wife will listen to me. I'm sorry that I complain so much, but these are, in my opinion, completely legitimate complaints that need to be heard and acted on.

Goodbye.
Jan 20, 2010
360 posts
97 upvotes
toronto
BoredOp wrote:
Nov 8th, 2019 10:04 am
Fine. I'm leaving RFD and never using it again. I'm shutting down my account. All because you people aren't seeing the kinds of posts that you want to see and because you totally crap all over people like me who have the unconditional right to complain.

Nobody will listen to me. Nobody will hear me out when it comes to retail, shopping and related topics. You people won't listen to me. Store staff won't listen to me. Corporate offices won't listen to me. Not even my god damn wife will listen to me. I'm sorry that I complain so much, but these are, in my opinion, completely legitimate complaints that need to be heard and acted on.

Goodbye.
You can send your complaints to relevent government agency, but not here, this is a deal forum. People come here to find cheaper staffs and would enjoy every possible opportunity to save. And when nobody in the world listens to you, shouldn't you sit back and think if this is really legitimate complaints.
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2012
4902 posts
3829 upvotes
Toronto
In case anyone is wondering this is what the original post is referring to as the images they posted are not showing up.

I honestly do not see what the big deal is and how anyone should be offended.
Guest2738483 wrote:

Goodbye.
Well good luck to you. Perhaps other people do not share your opinion.
Nov 2, 2015
656 posts
259 upvotes
Markham
Guest2738483 wrote:

Goodbye.

Hey what happen to you?? Chill man
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
16129 posts
3239 upvotes
Toronto
lioncar wrote:
Nov 7th, 2019 5:14 pm
I see outrage culture is alive and well. Do you see Rakuten calling this as “remembrance day bonanza”? As others have alluded to, this is most likely to tie in to the “singles day” sale in China.

So are we supposed to not have sales on September 11 now? Or any other day where tragedy had happened years past?
Yes, that's correct. No sales on September 11th in Canada.
RedFlagDeals addict