Shopping Discussion

Reminder! Code of Practice: Scanner Price Accuracy

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 11th, 2020 11:31 pm
Jul 23, 2015
682 posts
477 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
krs wrote: Make sure to send it to collections if Safeway doesn't pay!
Not til they build up some interest
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2006
1244 posts
270 upvotes
Ottawa
First time coming up against the new verbiage. Item on display with a large sale sign. Didn't argue at the time, but I think now I should have gotten SCOP. The sign had a date, but no regular price.

As far as I can see, SCOP is dead now. All stores have to do is add date + regular price in small print, and it will create enough doubt and confusion that they will never have to apply SCOP. Removes any incentive to ensure correct signage, which is the entire purpose of SCOP.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
5697 posts
935 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
mabba18 wrote: As far as I can see, SCOP is dead now. All stores have to do is add date + regular price in small print, and it will create enough doubt and confusion that they will never have to apply SCOP. Removes any incentive to ensure correct signage, which is the entire purpose of SCOP.
You have a point there.
SCOP was a proposal by the Retail Council way back when there was a move afoot to legislate retailer in Canada to post the price of a product directly on each product directly because consumers were complaining about being overcharged constantly at the cash.
SCOP was the alternative the government at the time accepted to control that overcharging, but SCOP seems to be getting watered down over the years.

Maybe time to bring this up with the government again.
Mar 6, 2008
79 posts
39 upvotes
I purchased an item in December that rang up higher than the shelf tag. The customer service person told me the tag was expired, so they refused to honor SCOP when I asked. I called the retail council to clarify as the tag did not have the regular price on it and they told me if the tag shows an expiry date, SCOP does not apply. The tag doesn’t actually have to state the regular price. There is a zero incentive now for stores to actually ensure expired shelf tags are removed and it is super annoying that as a customer, I now have to look for the sale expiry date in tiny print on the shelf tags to confirm the price is valid.
Jul 23, 2015
682 posts
477 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
mabba18 wrote: First time coming up against the new verbiage. Item on display with a large sale sign. Didn't argue at the time, but I think now I should have gotten SCOP. The sign had a date, but no regular price.

As far as I can see, SCOP is dead now. All stores have to do is add date + regular price in small print, and it will create enough doubt and confusion that they will never have to apply SCOP. Removes any incentive to ensure correct signage, which is the entire purpose of SCOP.
Same story for me, store manager called, explained how the verbiage changed re: expiry date. He said they will have to honour the sale price but no freebies. He still gave me a $10 gift card.

Hopefully the retailers will train the new verbiage same as the old ie. not at all.

I'll continue trying to get things free.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
12725 posts
2031 upvotes
City of Vancouver
trystee wrote:
I was at RCSS Grandview yesterday where there was an end aisle display stocked entirely of Old Dutch Restaurante chips, with a gigantic $2.48 sign displayed above it. The customer service desk said I wasn't allowed SCOP because the shelf tag, taken from the proper chips section a couple of aisles over, had the correct price. The aisle display had no shelf tag for the Restaurante chips. I feel like I got scammed out of SCOP. I guess I gotta register my complaint at that number shown above.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Sep 16, 2019
238 posts
290 upvotes
Walmart had a coffee maker on the wrong display listed for $39.99 when it's real price is $89.99. We mentioned the SCOP and they called manager. Manager tried refusing but I'm a very outspoken person when needed, so the manager reluctantly went to check the price. Although the item on the shelf had the right price, the display did not. She honoured it for $39.99. When she walked away I mentioned to the cashier that an additional $10 should be taken off, and she clearly knew because right away she did it without refusal. $29.99 for a $89.99 coffee maker, solid deal. Moral of the story? A manager isnt doing me a favour by honoring the SCOP, they are following the law. So be sturn and get what you're entitled to.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2011
3784 posts
3282 upvotes
The NORTH
Parrajara wrote: Walmart had a coffee maker on the wrong display listed for $39.99 when it's real price is $89.99. We mentioned the SCOP and they called manager. Manager tried refusing but I'm a very outspoken person when needed, so the manager reluctantly went to check the price. Although the item on the shelf had the right price, the display did not. She honoured it for $39.99. When she walked away I mentioned to the cashier that an additional $10 should be taken off, and she clearly knew because right away she did it without refusal. $29.99 for a $89.99 coffee maker, solid deal. Moral of the story? A manager isnt doing me a favour by honoring the SCOP, they are following the law. So be sturn and get what you're entitled to.
Im sorry, what Law are they following again?
Sep 16, 2019
238 posts
290 upvotes
kr0zet wrote: Im sorry, what Law are they following again?
Competition law.... If you advertise something, you must honour it or its false advertisement. Don't join the SCOP if you dont want to honour it. If you have a sign of it in your store, advertising that you follow it, the business now has an obligation.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2011
3784 posts
3282 upvotes
The NORTH
Parrajara wrote: Competition law.... If you advertise something, you must honour it or its false advertisement. Don't join the SCOP if you dont want to honour it. If you have a sign of it in your store, advertising that you follow it, the business now has an obligation.
Just for clarification, the competition law has nothing to do with the scanning code of practice, and the scanning code of practice is not a law. I agree with you that the price should have been $29.99 but you should really get your facts straight.
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2001
3808 posts
1842 upvotes
Yesva Scotia
kr0zet wrote: Just for clarification, the competition law has nothing to do with the scanning code of practice, and the scanning code of practice is not a law. I agree with you that the price should have been $29.99 but you should really get your facts straight.
It's the law in Quebec. Anywhere else, you're correct.
Sep 16, 2019
238 posts
290 upvotes
kr0zet wrote: Just for clarification, the competition law has nothing to do with the scanning code of practice, and the scanning code of practice is not a law. I agree with you that the price should have been $29.99 but you should really get your facts straight.
Yeah tbh I didn't care to find the specific law and book it's written in. Anyone interested can go and do it themselves. I should not have said competition law as a general reference, I agree, could have simply left that specification out.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
18406 posts
11048 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Parrajara wrote: Moral of the story? A manager isnt doing me a favour by honoring the SCOP, they are following the law.
Perhaps this manager is a leftover from when those stores were owned by Zellers and had their own version of SCOP even before there was SCOP.

veni, vidi, Visa
Jul 23, 2015
682 posts
477 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
Becks wrote: I was at RCSS Grandview yesterday where there was an end aisle display stocked entirely of Old Dutch Restaurante chips, with a gigantic $2.48 sign displayed above it. The customer service desk said I wasn't allowed SCOP because the shelf tag, taken from the proper chips section a couple of aisles over, had the correct price. The aisle display had no shelf tag for the Restaurante chips. I feel like I got scammed out of SCOP. I guess I gotta register my complaint at that number shown above.
I'd complain to corporate RCSS/Loblaws before the retail council. I've done both at the same time and only ever heard back from corporate customer service. They usually offer PC points/gift card in lieu of cash.

All the shelf tags have to match. If there's one tag with wrong price you should be ok to SCOP in my experience.
Mar 4, 2020
1 posts
Rexall Eglington-Mt Pleasant Branch. When I complained to the manager, he said that they don't follow that! I swear not to shop there again!