Reminder! Code of Practice: Scanner Price Accuracy

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 11th, 2020 11:31 pm
Deal Addict
May 18, 2002
3261 posts
530 upvotes
Brampton
Works for me at Superstore (Don Mills) all the time.
For the last week they have large container of mixed nuts (good ones) labeled at $8.99 scanning as $9.99. My girlfriend has gone every 2-3 days and gets one for free. And canned peas have worked for the last 2 months.
They dont seem to correct prices in any hurry. :cheesygri
Mar 27, 2005
182 posts
1 upvote
prod wrote:For the last week they have large container of mixed nuts (good ones) labeled at $8.99 scanning as $9.99.
Large container? Are you talking about bulk foods? If so then you are lucky. The last time I found a pricing error on their bulk foods I was told that the scanner code only applies to items which are scanned. Bulk foods are entered manually and do not apply.
Dec 28, 2003
190 posts
32 upvotes
FYI

All Shoppers Drug Mart stores prominently displays the 'Scanning Code of Practise' at the front of their stores or at the front of each cash register to remind you. If you get rejected, call the SDM support line to lodge a complaint.
Jan 4, 2005
881 posts
1 upvote
At No Frills, there was one time I thought Bits & Bites were still 99 cents a bag... I thought, good price, let's get 2. They scanned at 1.97 or something... so the cashier asked another cashier... she scanned it... duh... obviously it will scan the same.. then they called some another clueless employee over to check the price... of course he comes back saying 1.97. I was like sorry (I said that because I held up the line and they came back saying it's 1.97).

Anyway, I was sure I saw 99 cents... so I dropped off my grocery, went back in, took down the 99 cent sign I saw and brought it back to the same cashiers... then I was told to go to another aisle and waited for someone to come... that same clueless dude who went to check the price asked me if I wanted to buy it. I said no, I wanted to get one for free. He wasn't impressed.

This is the second time I had this happened to me at No Frills... they make you wait... and stare you down too. It's so lame considered the policy is posted at each register.
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2004
1184 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto
I'm familiar with the basics of SCOP & use it often but this is the first time I've run into this particular problem. Can anyone answer & save me time going through the entire SCOP policy?

DS & I were @ SDM & purchased an item that had a price sticker on it saying Reg. $14.99 SPCL $8.00 (in red) just one sticker top 1/2 white, bottom half red ...not like the all red clearance stickers.

Cashier scanned it in & it showed $14.99. I said no, that's not the price. She voided the item & was about to key it in (override) $8 when I said "don't I get if for free then?" When this exact same scenario happened to me at Pharmaplus, they gave me the item for free ... maybe I was just lucky??

Mgr came over & said, no, when its a clearance item they have to manually key in the override. I said the price should be in the computer (shouldn't they change the price in the computer and/or draw a black line through the UPC code to prevent the cashier from scanning it?). He had the entire SCOP policy there but with DS, I couldn't even attempt to go through it. We amicably agreed to disagree, told him I'd check it out & come back if I was correct since my receipt showed everything I needed on it.

Should the item have been free or did SCOP not apply in this case? I want to be sure of my facts before calling SDM customer service to complain.
Deal Addict
May 11, 2004
3134 posts
1079 upvotes
Airdrie
beripari wrote:purchased an item that had a price sticker on it saying Reg. $14.99 SPCL $8.00 (in red)

Cashier scanned it in & it showed $14.99.

Should the item have been free or did SCOP not apply in this case? I want to be sure of my facts before calling SDM customer service to complain.
I believe SCoP applies to unticketed items only. Since the item had a tag on it, you knew how much it should be & error was easily corrected.
"Success is the happy feeling you get between the time you do something and the time you tell a woman what you did." -Dilbert
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2005
2287 posts
316 upvotes
jimbarric wrote:I tried at Walmart a while back, but the lady looked at me like I was an idiot.
If the manager knew about that, they would probably be fired. There is a strict policy at Walmart to conform with the recommended standards.
May 30, 2005
382 posts
52 upvotes
Toronto
I went to Futureshop to buy something but when they scanned it the system it came up as the wrong product and had a lower price but they refused to give it to me for that price. The manager and sales rep treated me like I was an idiot and refused to sell it to me. I called that 1-800 number on the Code of Practice... F/S Corp. called a few days later and offered me a $50 giftcard because of the mistake.
Oct 27, 2002
611 posts
15 upvotes
GTA
The stores that do the pricing code have it (should) at the enterence of the store as well should have it on every register. The funny thing is most ppl the work at these places dont even know how it works. I remember i was at walmart once and i guy got 15+ fishing lures. They were under the wrong label, they were suppose to be $10+ each but the label said $2.99. The cashier ended up giving him each lure for $2.99 :s...for that matter half the stuff in walmart is usually mislabeled > :(
Nov 22, 2002
545 posts
57 upvotes
Hah, nice timing. I was just searching for this thing yesterday (forum was returning a mysql error ).

Happened at [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=24]Canadian tire[/rfdlink] couple days ago. cable advertised as 9.99, rang up as 14.99. The cashier went to verify the price on the tag in the aisle, and came back and said I was getting it for free. No arguing, no nothing.

Cant complain about that.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
43099 posts
3648 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Captin Howdy wrote:The stores that do the pricing code have it (should) at the enterence of the store as well should have it on every register. The funny thing is most ppl the work at these places dont even know how it works. I remember i was at walmart once and i guy got 15+ fishing lures. They were under the wrong label, they were suppose to be $10+ each but the label said $2.99. The cashier ended up giving him each lure for $2.99 :s...for that matter half the stuff in walmart is usually mislabeled > :(
or people just had fun peeling labels off and switching labels of other products.
Oct 27, 2002
611 posts
15 upvotes
GTA
Jon Lai wrote:or people just had fun peeling labels off and switching labels of other products.
Nah...Wal-mart doesn't use sticker for there labels anymore. I use to work there and trust me half the stuff is under the wrong label. The problem is when the people work at night and have to put the items on the shelves they run out of room so they stick it anywhere :s

But i'm sure some people do move labels around, you can usually tell who those ppl are tho. They wanna speak to the manager etc
Jul 20, 2005
334 posts
104 upvotes
I did this at London Drugs a few weeks ago. No one had any idea what was going on, even though it was posted on the front of the till. The store manager came over and did it, but glared daggers at me the whole time. It happens that my fiance works there and was standing with me at the time.

The store manager approached him later and told him she was "very dissapointed in his actions and judgement", and it's "not appropriate for employees, or family of employees".

I think that's a load of BS! She just conveniently made this part of the policy up. We're pursuing it with the Retail Council of Canada, and LD HR. That's harassment... Needless to say, I don't think it was worth a pack of paper towels to me.

If they're going to comply with this code, they should educate employees and management, or just scrap the whole idea!!
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
43099 posts
3648 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Captin Howdy wrote:Nah...Wal-mart doesn't use sticker for there labels anymore. I use to work there and trust me half the stuff is under the wrong label. The problem is when the people work at night and have to put the items on the shelves they run out of room so they stick it anywhere :s
So you're saying they input the wrong price into the computer?
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2005
4988 posts
2 upvotes
Leahjz wrote:I did this at London Drugs a few weeks ago. No one had any idea what was going on, even though it was posted on the front of the till. The store manager came over and did it, but glared daggers at me the whole time. It happens that my fiance works there and was standing with me at the time.

The store manager approached him later and told him she was "very dissapointed in his actions and judgement", and it's "not appropriate for employees, or family of employees".

I think that's a load of BS! She just conveniently made this part of the policy up. We're pursuing it with the Retail Council of Canada, and LD HR. That's harassment... Needless to say, I don't think it was worth a pack of paper towels to me.

If they're going to comply with this code, they should educate employees and management, or just scrap the whole idea!!
I totally agree with u. I had an incredible difficult time with this at StupidStore.

They even had a 8.5 x 11 cardboard sign with the lower price and I showed it to them, yet they were still denying it even though it was right in front of their frickin faces. Now this was BEFORE the scanner code of practise discount. they didn't even want to give me! their lower advertised price, giving me! some sort of BS saying maybe is was for another similar product. yah nice bs there, STupidstore :mad:

I asked had two of the same item that I wanted to get, but STupidstore would only give me! one item. No where does it say that they have to honour only one item of their advertised price. :mad: Again, this was BEFORE the scanner code of practise discount. THey would not admit to their frickin' mistake, but had to own up to at least one discounted price, but not the other. I was arguing for about 15 mins. with managers. I even think they had some sort of security guy monitoring the argument in the background. Freakin dumbass Stupidstore.

I should have gotten the displayed, advertised price on BOTH items, not just one.

But i did get the 10$ discount. Serves them right. dumbasses. :evil: