• Last Updated:
  • Mar 21st, 2017 10:46 am
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
21223 posts
6991 upvotes
GTA

Remote audio trigger (over bluetooth?)

I don't know where to ask this question, but I am looking for a way to remotely trigger audio to a speaker. So when a button/trigger is pressed, a nearby (preferably wireless, like a BT speaker) plays an audio file.

What should I be looking for?

I was thinking of connecting a smartphone to a BT speaker, and getting a remote that will play an audio file over IFTT or maybe as a ringtone?

Do they still sell Yak baks?

2 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2005
3160 posts
639 upvotes
Toronto
Hmm. Could be done with a raspberry pi. Get a rpi3 with bluetooth/wifi. Pair the speaker with the rpi, and then set up a trigger to send a soundfile to the bluetooth device. For example, you could set up a web page with a simple html form that calls a cgi shell script to run the command upon form submission.

Later on, you could look to add an IR sensor and program a remote control to trigger the action.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
35606 posts
18999 upvotes
If the phone is paired to the speaker, starting any audio file will play on the speaker. I'm sure there's lots of BT remotes you can get for phones which do things like play/pause/etc. through AVRCP. However most portable BT speakers simply turn off after a period of inactivity (battery save measure), meaning if that timeout occurs you're SOL. Perhaps some speakers bypass this if they are plugged in/charging; or perhaps there's a way to bypass it on some; or, perhaps a unit that is always AC powered won't have this problem.

But then I might be missing what you're getting at because it seems like it's more complicated than I'm imagining.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)