Remote camp jobs

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 15th, 2018 1:20 am
Tags:
[OP]
Aug 7, 2018
4 posts

Remote camp jobs

A few years back, all the friends in my circle were up and leaving to fort mac but it looks like things have dried up. Whats the scene like now?

I'm ready to pack up and leave Ontario. I'm 27 and I hate where I am at right now. Currently making 55k a year in an office job thats souls sucking. I've got a BBA and a marketing diploma but im now looking to break into the trades. I think I might take a year off and go back to school learn a trade (though I'm not sure what). The lifestyle of camp rotation is really appealing to me and I can see myself doing that as a career. What do you lads think?
16 replies
Sep 25, 2017
12 posts
2 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
IMO - come on over. Get your tickets, apply to a bucket load of labour jobs. Youll get work but dont expect camp or 100k, especially being green to the field.

You may get a camp job but apply to a lot of places with your resume, put down a list of tickets (even though you dont have them, but if you get a bite, go get them asap), and put your address as per the job ad location i.e. edmonton, fort mac, grande prairie etc. If you get a call, best pack up and start booking a ticket.

Good luck.

Patch and 'patch money' is done unless you have a special skill. A lot of trade industrial guys are sitting, electricians, pipe fitters, welders and these are people with experience and tools.

No harm in trying whatsoever but it isn't like a few years ago where you can walk into an office, get a job paying 25-30 bucks an hour and earn 100k+ a year as a laborer/new apprentice.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
2510 posts
482 upvotes
Edmonton
No idea what you guys are talking about. The only thing that has dried up is the construction. Maintenance has been and still going strong. And if you have your tickets (including jman) I don't know anyone here making under 100k. Some people making 100k over the course of the year, some only need 5 months.

I agree office jobs suck. Soul sucking and feels like body is rottinf. To get a trade find an employer to sign you a blue book. Work first 10 months then goto school for 2. Good luck and enjoy the pay. I know an acquaintance that is making $32 an hour so roughly 85k a year first year. So under 1 year experience
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8
Deal Fanatic
May 29, 2006
9010 posts
1702 upvotes
tmkf_patryk wrote:
Aug 9th, 2018 7:01 am
No idea what you guys are talking about. The only thing that has dried up is the construction. Maintenance has been and still going strong. And if you have your tickets (including jman) I don't know anyone here making under 100k. Some people making 100k over the course of the year, some only need 5 months.

I agree office jobs suck. Soul sucking and feels like body is rottinf. To get a trade find an employer to sign you a blue book. Work first 10 months then goto school for 2. Good luck and enjoy the pay. I know an acquaintance that is making $32 an hour so roughly 85k a year first year. So under 1 year experience
its not all roses, your social life and family like take a large toll working in camps. plus many people are working a lot of hours up there. do you like working and sleeping for 14 days in a row? then to have 7 days off? 2 of which will be travel days, its 5 hours to Edmonton by car.

if I was 25 I would be all over a camp job, im 40 now, 2 kids, I like my 35 hours a week workweek with weekends off.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
2510 posts
482 upvotes
Edmonton
rocking23nf wrote:
Aug 9th, 2018 1:08 pm
its not all roses, your social life and family like take a large toll working in camps. plus many people are working a lot of hours up there. do you like working and sleeping for 14 days in a row? then to have 7 days off? 2 of which will be travel days, its 5 hours to Edmonton by car.

if I was 25 I would be all over a camp job, im 40 now, 2 kids, I like my 35 hours a week workweek with weekends off.
I don't do 14/7 bro.

I am happy with my 3 months of work making 100k then take the rest of my time off. I travel for 4-5 months out of the year.
Thank you very much
[OP]
Aug 7, 2018
4 posts
tmkf_patryk wrote:

Appreciate the response. Any trades you'd recommend looking at as well as tickets worth getting. Right now im in the process of getting my h2s, csts and first aid tickets.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
2510 posts
482 upvotes
Edmonton
ChadChasingStacy wrote:
Aug 9th, 2018 5:35 pm
By the way, do companies still Fly in/Fly out from Ontario to Alberta?
Not anymore that I know of. Last one was PCL in fort hills.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
2510 posts
482 upvotes
Edmonton
ChadChasingStacy wrote:
Aug 9th, 2018 5:34 pm
Appreciate the response. Any trades you'd recommend looking at as well as tickets worth getting. Right now im in the process of getting my h2s, csts and first aid tickets.
Depenss what you plan on doing. The first aid needs to be the 2 say course with the letter C and AED I believe

On-top of those I have confined space entry/monitor (longer course that gives both)
Flal protection, and aerial work platform (awp)

Edit:. You can get whmis free from aixsafety. I needed it for a few jobs and they even said to use this site. Apparently the only one that's still free?
Dec 9, 2013
249 posts
108 upvotes
Toronto
rocking23nf wrote:
Aug 9th, 2018 1:08 pm

+1 don't listen do tmkf_patryk. I spent years in Fort Mac doing maintenance work in most of the oil sand camps (shell and many PTI camps) and that itself is soul sucking, even though I had to option of working however many days I wanted in a row. I've done 21 days straight, 14 days straight etc... I got a job back in a large municipal city and never looked back. You will never be close to friends or family in fort Mac. The town it self is very small and not very cultural at all. I can go on but I digress.

I will say, the money will be better there vs the same position elsewhere but make sure you do your research. Rent is high there for example, but my employer had townhouses for its employees rent-free. But it is very secluded.

Oh and I did all this in my early 20s. No one else at the company that had family and kids wanted to do it so I was voluntold to go up and was even asked if I could stay there permanently.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
2510 posts
482 upvotes
Edmonton
miscbrah1 wrote:
Aug 11th, 2018 12:07 pm
+1 don't listen do tmkf_patryk. I spent years in Fort Mac doing maintenance work in most of the oil sand camps (shell and many PTI camps) and that itself is soul sucking, even though I had to option of working however many days I wanted in a row. I've done 21 days straight, 14 days straight etc... I got a job back in a large municipal city and never looked back. You will never be close to friends or family in fort Mac. The town it self is very small and not very cultural at all. I can go on but I digress.

I will say, the money will be better there vs the same position elsewhere but make sure you do your research. Rent is high there for example, but my employer had townhouses for its employees rent-free. But it is very secluded.

Oh and I did all this in my early 20s. No one else at the company that had family and kids wanted to do it so I was voluntold to go up and was even asked if I could stay there permanently.
Don't listen to me regarding what. The truth?
There's lots of work up there, pay is good, what else do you want, or what else do I say?

I can make 100k in 3 months working straight. I am not saying you should do it, but if you want to, it is definitely doable.

You keep sitting at a desk there. Keep pushing the papers. I will gladly take my many months vacation off. I can send you pictures
Dec 9, 2013
249 posts
108 upvotes
Toronto
tmkf_patryk wrote:
Aug 11th, 2018 11:06 pm
Don't listen to me regarding what. The truth?
There's lots of work up there, pay is good, what else do you want, or what else do I say?

I can make 100k in 3 months working straight. I am not saying you should do it, but if you want to, it is definitely doable.

You keep sitting at a desk there. Keep pushing the papers. I will gladly take my many months vacation off. I can send you pictures
Except its not the truth, it's your personal opinion. I never said the pay wasn't great, because it is. However, the cost of living in the city itself is high (rent, food, gas) so it may balance out if your employer isn't paying for it. I mean... An oil change was $100 bucks for my company vehicle for regular oil. The city is soul sucking, so are the camps, just my opinion.

BTW I don't sit at a desk nor push papers all day. Try again and that isn't really a terrible thing even if I did.
Dec 26, 2005
121 posts
7 upvotes
Not much to do up there besides gamble and drink. Seen lots of guys that came home broke.
Sep 25, 2017
12 posts
2 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
tmkf_patryk wrote:

He's coming here as a green hand!

As a green hand, with no formal academics and combined with next to no construction experience, what is his chance of landing a job getting 100k?

Right now, the goal is to get his foot in the door, start a job/career/apprenticeship and go from there.

Without a doubt there are still a butt load of guys here working and getting the almighty 6 figure sum (ahem), but one thing is for sure, and during these times, they have either or a combination of post secondary education and a few years of industrial experience (not resi or comm exp).
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
2510 posts
482 upvotes
Edmonton
RumbleRo wrote:
Aug 12th, 2018 5:38 pm
He's coming here as a green hand!

As a green hand, with no formal academics and combined with next to no construction experience, what is his chance of landing a job getting 100k?

Right now, the goal is to get his foot in the door, start a job/career/apprenticeship and go from there.

Without a doubt there are still a butt load of guys here working and getting the almighty 6 figure sum (ahem), but one thing is for sure, and during these times, they have either or a combination of post secondary education and a few years of industrial experience (not resi or comm exp).
Notice I said tickets including jman. Obviously as a green hand he wont make anywhere near that much. All I do is industrial. No idea on Resi or commercial. And I don't have the option of going to fort mac the town too often, usually fly in/out from Edmonton

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)