Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2013
2896 posts
214 upvotes

Remote controls for XBMC?

Hey RFD,

Wondering if any of you have xbmc set-ups, and what kind of remote controls your using? I'm thinking of the Logitech Harmonys by default, but I'm not clear on whether they will work with a PC or not.

Any suggestions?
“My biggest problem with modernity may lie in the growing separation of the ethical and the legal.”
-Nassim Nicholas Taleb
17 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 28, 2014
1251 posts
120 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Maximize wrote: Hey RFD,

Wondering if any of you have xbmc set-ups, and what kind of remote controls your using? I'm thinking of the Logitech Harmonys by default, but I'm not clear on whether they will work with a PC or not.

Any suggestions?
Been using Unified Remote on the phone. Works with many programs and didn't cost me extra.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2006
9103 posts
4568 upvotes
12 days north of Hop…
I use a Microsoft MCE remote with my Linux XBMC setup:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Genuine-HP- ... 3a763b6d2b
(Mine's Gateway branded, though)

Works out of the box with XBMC and LIRC. After some script tweaks it wakes up and sleeps my HTPC fine. Strangely I can't get the wake/sleep to work in Windows 7, though.
Jan 15, 2010
568 posts
199 upvotes
Toronto

Any suggestions?
I run XBMC on a laptop connected to my TV and use a Harmony Remote to control it. You will need a IR reciever hooked up to the PC in order for you to use the harmony remote with it. I had ordered a cheap MCE remote on amazon and used that reciever with my harmony and love it. The more buttons on the remote the better as you can assign them to whatever you want in XBMC and get extra functions. (it can get complicated but very powerful).

You may also want to look into something like flirc.tv. It will allow you to use any remote to control you XBMC. It looks very interesting and if I didn't have something already I would have gone with this.

In terms of an app, XBMC has an official app on the iphone called XBMCRemote you can use to control your XBMC. But I'm not a fan of remote apps. I only use it when I have to enter a lot of text for searching or something.
Apr 6, 2003
429 posts
39 upvotes
I have several XBMC (KODI) setups in my house and use Logitech's diNovo Mini. its a full keyboard/mouse in small palmsize clamshell packaging. Important feature for me is the backlit keyboard Logitech diNovo Mini
Jan 15, 2010
568 posts
199 upvotes
Toronto
Betard wrote: I have several XBMC (KODI) setups in my house and use Logitech's diNovo Mini. its a full keyboard/mouse in small palmsize clamshell packaging. Important feature for me is the backlit keyboard Logitech diNovo Mini
I like the look of this. What is the battery life like?
Apr 6, 2003
429 posts
39 upvotes
GavinCampbell wrote: I like the look of this. What is the battery life like?
Excellent I find. I charge it overnight every 3-4+ weeks depending on use. It goes into its own sleep state. The battery is also replaceable (may not be an off-the-shelf battery), just mentioning it because it is not "built in". My oldest one is 5+ years old, and still works great.
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2004
3061 posts
182 upvotes

Any suggestions?
I use my Nexus 4 with XBMC Remote app.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2013
2896 posts
214 upvotes
Thanks guys. That flirc seems very interesting to me, but I'm just not sure if it will work to use my current remote (for the Bravia) on this, as I need the remote for TV itself. Will they work concurrently? Seems like this is better if you have an extra remote lying around not being used, no?
“My biggest problem with modernity may lie in the growing separation of the ethical and the legal.”
-Nassim Nicholas Taleb
Dec 24, 2004
231 posts
198 upvotes
Saint Hubert
Maximize wrote: Thanks guys. That flirc seems very interesting to me, but I'm just not sure if it will work to use my current remote (for the Bravia) on this, as I need the remote for TV itself. Will they work concurrently? Seems like this is better if you have an extra remote lying around not being used, no?
My TV remote has a button that allows my to control different devices, I think many / most remotes have this.

At the top it says TV / DVD / Aux 1 / Aux 2

When I press the TV button, all the buttons for the remote are used for the TV. When I push the DVD button, all functions are set for that device and no longer the TV part.

When I configured flirc (you run small application to program flirc), I simply set the remote to the DVD mode and configured the keys I wanted.

Now when I want my remote to to control my xbmc, I hit the DVD button on the remote and use what I need. Yes I could of used any other spare / old remote I had laying around, but this just means I have 1 less remote to find and put batteries in. Much more convenient.

To answer the question, yes they can be used concurrently, in the sense it does both at same time, it just depends on what mode the remote is in.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
7407 posts
2998 upvotes
Whitby
Using the free Yatse app on our Android phones here(S3, Nexus 5, S4) to control XBMC through WIFI. Works great, its not often we reach for actual remotes that game with XBMC media boxes (Pivos XS & DS)
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2013
2896 posts
214 upvotes
mcmoser wrote: My TV remote has a button that allows my to control different devices, I think many / most remotes have this.

At the top it says TV / DVD / Aux 1 / Aux 2

When I press the TV button, all the buttons for the remote are used for the TV. When I push the DVD button, all functions are set for that device and no longer the TV part.

When I configured flirc (you run small application to program flirc), I simply set the remote to the DVD mode and configured the keys I wanted.

Now when I want my remote to to control my xbmc, I hit the DVD button on the remote and use what I need. Yes I could of used any other spare / old remote I had laying around, but this just means I have 1 less remote to find and put batteries in. Much more convenient.

To answer the question, yes they can be used concurrently, in the sense it does both at same time, it just depends on what mode the remote is in.
I see, sounds convenient . I don't know think my remote has that (I know what you mean though). It could be the color buttons maybe.

-Nassim Nicholas Taleb
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2013
2896 posts
214 upvotes
Zamboni wrote: Using the free Yatse app on our Android phones here(S3, Nexus 5, S4) to control XBMC through WIFI. Works great, its not often we reach for actual remotes that game with XBMC media boxes (Pivos XS & DS)
Yeah I'm hearing alot about these apps, which would be fine for me but this media box is for the folks - they like good ol' fashioned remote controls. (I'll probably just use the app for with my own PC when I set it up with XBMC later though).
-Nassim Nicholas Taleb
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2013
2896 posts
214 upvotes
I'm leaning towards the flirc receiver right now. I'm thinking I'll try it with my Bravia remote, if it's a no go, then I'll just grab a Harmony and use that with the flirc. Plus with the Harmony I can set up some other devices as well, so might still be convenient and relatively organized - I do want to avoid having a slew of remotes hanging around.
ToniCipriani wrote: I use a Microsoft MCE remote with my Linux XBMC setup:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Genuine-HP- ... 3a763b6d2b
(Mine's Gateway branded, though)

Works out of the box with XBMC and LIRC. After some script tweaks it wakes up and sleeps my HTPC fine. Strangely I can't get the wake/sleep to work in Windows 7, though.
Yeah this looks really good too, just not sure how well it plays with Windows 8.1 (seems to have some issues, from what I read online).
-Nassim Nicholas Taleb
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2008
1655 posts
209 upvotes
Toronto
I used a generic usb ir remote from ebay for 10$ or less like this

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/USB-PC-Laptop-Wi ... 27e5b1dbc2

Then programed my harmony to work with the usb IR adapter it came with.

I could program pretty much everything except the letters (a,b,c on 1 key thing) Im sure theres a way but i dont need a keyboard.

For my second HTPC i also bought one of these. Full keyboard with a track pad and its rf not ir so line of sight is not required.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Portable-Mini-Wi ... 418e809050
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
13940 posts
5439 upvotes
yatse is the goto remote choice
The sweetest gyal

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)