Automotive

Remote Starter

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 28th, 2018 12:41 pm
May 14, 2016
117 posts
40 upvotes

Remote Starter

Any idea where I can get a Remote Starter installed in Mississauga/Brampton region? I have a new car and want to maintain warranty. Dealer said if something goes wrong, I'd have to go back to who installed it, so I'm trying to avoid small shops. I called Canadian Tire and BestBuy, but neither of them do it anymore. Dealer wants about $700 after tax (seems overpriced).

Would appreciate suggestions for any reliable places I can get this done?

Hope this is the right thread for this, but didn't think people would have an answer in Requested Deals/not looking for a deal, just a place.

Thanks a lot!
35 replies
Apr 23, 2011
132 posts
81 upvotes
Toronto
My 2 cents fwiw.

I was in the same situation earlier this year when I purchased my new vehicle and ended up going with the oem dealer remote starter.

Aftermarket is likely a little cheaper plus you’ll get more features, range etc but at what price? Some will say it all depends on the installer but that is just another “what if” to deal with. Friend found this out the hard way. Reputable shop and she had nothing but electrical issues. She wished she spent the extra money and went with a factory starter. Maybe a one off, but not worth it imo.

In my case, I paid $50k for a new vehicle so what’s an extra $300 more than an aftermarket remote starter, with the peace of mind that nothing will go wrong. No spliced wires. No electrical issues. Plug and play, and you’re on your way, and all included in the factory warranty.
May 14, 2016
117 posts
40 upvotes
Hmm, yeah good point. I have a new car with warranty, but it's only $25k. Dishing out $800 on it feels like a lot haha.

I agree with you though, I'm glad you posted this. I debated going to a car shop, but after your post, I don't think I'll do that. If anyone is aware of a franchise, I'll consider that, otherwise I may just go to the dealership (or suck it up and sit in the cold haha).
Aug 23, 2017
299 posts
437 upvotes
DeShaun wrote: Hmm, yeah good point. I have a new car with warranty, but it's only $25k. Dishing out $800 on it feels like a lot haha.

I agree with you though, I'm glad you posted this. I debated going to a car shop, but after your post, I don't think I'll do that. If anyone is aware of a franchise, I'll consider that, otherwise I may just go to the dealership (or suck it up and sit in the cold haha).
My personal opinion is that you shouldn't see it as a cost of 800.

It would be the difference of what an after market dealer is coating minus the 800.

So even if the after market dealer is quoting only 50% of the dealer's cost, that 400 you are paying extra would be a good investment for peace of mind for a few years.

Considering you bought a brand new car.

Again, happy to be corrected.
May 14, 2016
117 posts
40 upvotes
Brian99 wrote: Personally I would go after market because of cost, features and I haven't encountered any botched installations. I also prefer the extended range and two way communication.
Any suggestions on locations?
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2013
3725 posts
479 upvotes
MONTR
you guys contradict yourselves alot here. There are many members buying aftermarket alarm systems like Clifford, Viper, etc.... but the dealer does not sell them. So why you both going aftermarket alarm and not aftermarket remote starter? It is the same unless you do don't plan to install one of those alarm systems.
Oct 13, 2015
102 posts
51 upvotes
Brampton, ON
Audio heaven, auto links, singh electronics, to name a few. I have appointment with singh electronics tomorrow. I’ll let you know how it goes.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
23680 posts
5122 upvotes
Niagara Falls
I don't have a suggestion of a shop for you, but i'd go to a small shop 100 times over Canadian Tire or Bestbuy for anything like that. Have you checked with the dealer to see if there are any approved shops that wont void your warranty? Seems like the exact excuse a dealership would use to not honour a warranty.
Aug 11, 2009
915 posts
229 upvotes
Brampton
Try hitech audio video. Theyve been around for more than 10years. And they specialize on alarms & remote starters.

1625 Steeles Ave E #4, Brampton, ON L6T 4R7
Aug 11, 2009
915 posts
229 upvotes
Brampton
maxme09 wrote: Audio heaven, auto links, singh electronics, to name a few. I have appointment with singh electronics tomorrow. I’ll let you know how it goes.
Singh electronics are good. Plz avoid car audio heaven.
Apr 23, 2011
132 posts
81 upvotes
Toronto
Brian99 wrote: Personally I would go after market because of cost, features and I haven't encountered any botched installations. I also prefer the extended range and two way communication.
Guess it depends on Manufacturer, but my factory remote start is long range (similar to aftermarket) with two way communication and it was only $200 more.
nomdesplumes wrote: you guys contradict yourselves alot here. There are many members buying aftermarket alarm systems like Clifford, Viper, etc.... but the dealer does not sell them. So why you both going aftermarket alarm and not aftermarket remote starter? It is the same unless you do don't plan to install one of those alarm systems.
Who’s contradicting themselves and who said anything about getting an alarm? No alarm for me personally but I agree, it’s the same.
May 14, 2016
117 posts
40 upvotes
Evil Baby wrote: I don't have a suggestion of a shop for you, but i'd go to a small shop 100 times over Canadian Tire or Bestbuy for anything like that. Have you checked with the dealer to see if there are any approved shops that wont void your warranty? Seems like the exact excuse a dealership would use to not honour a warranty.
Dealership said going anywhere outside will not void my warranty, but if they find something and conclude its because of the remote starter, they'll refuse to help with that specific area of the car.
TheMaterial wrote: Where are you located?
Mississauga/Brampton area
maxme09 wrote: Audio heaven, auto links, singh electronics, to name a few. I have appointment with singh electronics tomorrow. I’ll let you know how it goes.
Thanks - would appreciate hearing how it goes and how much it costed!
Oct 13, 2015
102 posts
51 upvotes
Brampton, ON
It went well. Compustar G15 installed correctly. It was difficult and required additional relay but they did not charge for it. It was for 520 all in as I asked for cash deal to discount, otherwise 550.
Note: not sure about other cars but Hyundai will take more than avg time to install. They quoted 2 hrs and took 3 hrs but it was done right.
They have different model from various manufacturers. Take your pick. I went with reliable brand and model 2 way starter.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15169 posts
2742 upvotes
Give Lockdown Security in Markham a call.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2013
3725 posts
479 upvotes
MONTR
You do know that turning on and idling your car is a waste of resources and at the same destroying our environment.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
23680 posts
5122 upvotes
Niagara Falls
nomdesplumes wrote: You do know that turning on and idling your car is a waste of resources and at the same destroying our environment.
Yes, and no one cares.
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2006
2057 posts
56 upvotes
Toronto
eldiablo wrote: Give Lockdown Security in Markham a call.
Thanks, I am also looking for a shop that will install remote starter for my car. I bought the starter remote from CT.
iPhone 2G (x2)>>IPhone 3G (x3)>>iPhone 3GS>>iPhone 4 (x2)>>Nexus One>>Nexus S (x3)>>Moto Atrix>>BB Bold>>BB curve 3G (x2)>>Samsung Galaxy S2 UK (x2)>>Samsung Galaxy S2 India>>Samsung Galaxy S2 (2)>>Palm Pre Plus>>White iPhone 4>>Nokia N95>>HTC Sensation 4G(x2)>>HP Pre 3>>Samsung Nexus (x2)>>IPhone 4S White>>Samsung Galaxy Note UK (x2)>>Nokia Lumia 710>>Samsung Galaxy S3 UK White>>HTC One X LTE White ATT>>HTC ONE X Grey UK>>HTC Wildfire S>>IPhone 5 Black
Jan 4, 2010
778 posts
463 upvotes
Waterloo
For some reason, Hyundai's push to start models don't have OEM remote starters. So if I were to get a remote starter installed by them, they would have to call in some guy and charge me a stupid amount for a non OEM starter.

I went to 4x4 Shop Markham last week, installed my idatastart 1-way for my push to start Hyundai. $350 and it took between 2-3 hours.
I like how they programmed 4 remotes for me for that price. 2 OEM, 2 aftermarkets.
Some other shops, only program the OEM remote or you have to buy the aftermarket remote in.
They also install a lot of electronic stuff for the German car dealerships.
Fred is the owner and he has two friendly dogs following him around in the shop.

Never heard of anyone mentioning them on here, maybe they are new. I kinda bump into them by accident, glad I did.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)