• Last Updated:
  • Nov 30th, 2009 9:28 pm
Tags:
None
Nov 2, 2003
984 posts
21 upvotes

remove lug nuts with my drill

i have a 21V drill. i want to use it to remove the lug nuts from my tires becasue i dont want to strain too much. lazy me.
is there a special bit or socket that can be used. any pointers would be useful
13 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2002
1254 posts
Canadian Tire sells an impact adapter that converts your drill to an impact wrench. Make sure you have a decent drill.
FS Items:
Dec 8, 2005
630 posts
8 upvotes
Also be careful when putting the nuts back on to not overtorque them. Ideally, use a torque wrench.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2007
1989 posts
198 upvotes
Lol you so weak you can't even crack a lugnut and need a power tool hahaha
Dec 8, 2005
630 posts
8 upvotes
pupazzo wrote:
Nov 29th, 2009 6:40 pm
Lol you so weak you can't even crack a lugnut and need a power tool hahaha
Some of the gorillas who change your winter tires don't bother torqueing and can leave you with nuts which are all but impossible to remove. That said, a power drill might not do the trick in those instances either.
Jun 6, 2009
285 posts
6 upvotes
Vancouver
im gonna laugh if his next post is that be broke his wrist because the drill kicked back and he held onto it. just be careful and i hope its not a cordless cause if they are too tight you might ruin it.
Aug 17, 2008
665 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto
the idiots that over tighten the wheels are the same idiots that cause broken wheel studs... always use a torque wrench ppl
Apr 3, 2009
26 posts
Gloucester
this says alot about what i know about tires but what is a torque wrench ? what does it look like?
Apr 3, 2009
26 posts
Gloucester
so i googled it and now i know.They cost quite a bit.What would be the best way to know howw much to tighen the lug nuts just using the crow bar.

Thanks
Dec 8, 2005
630 posts
8 upvotes
I guess as an estimate, use the wrench to tighten as far as it will go using only one arm. There are cheaper type torque wrenches out there as well, you don't have to get the clicker type.

Of course, always loosen/tighten using the opposing lug method to ensure the wheel is seated flatly against the hub. Do in one lug, then do in the one opposite and move in a star-like pattern (for cars with 5 bolts). With four bolts, move diagonally.
[OP]
Nov 2, 2003
984 posts
21 upvotes
kmltick wrote:
Nov 29th, 2009 4:27 pm
Canadian Tire sells an impact adapter that converts your drill to an impact wrench. Make sure you have a decent drill.
I went to CT today and the guy there looked as if i was crazy and said there was no such thing. appreicate if you can point at a link or product number in CT. i was steaming mad at the CT guy today.
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2007
3078 posts
224 upvotes
get an impact wrench 200lb-ft+,and use it only to remove the lug nuts, when u install, just use to go in half way, and then use a torque wrench or tighten using a normal socket wrench or with the unit that comes with the car. I always hand torqued it lol.
Deal Guru
Apr 16, 2001
14339 posts
1292 upvotes
Oshawa
You want to find the manufacturer-recommended torque for your wheels, and buy yourself the appropriate torque stick to go with your impact wrench. Princess Auto supposedly carries them.

The other option is to buy a torque wrench, and do the final tightening by hand.

× < >