Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

Removed

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 25th, 2010 5:41 pm
Tags:
None
Aug 7, 2006
419 posts
9 upvotes
Markham

Removed

Due to the rep requesting for a 2nd time that this deal not be posted on the Internet, it has been removed. Sorry.
230 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2004
2909 posts
396 upvotes
You should put Ontario only in the title.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2006
2820 posts
985 upvotes
GTA
yes door to door sale... i believe there are other ways, i forgot what it was though. can let you guys know when i go to work tomorrow.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
9280 posts
3004 upvotes
London
So are you under contract, and if so, how long?
Aug 7, 2006
419 posts
9 upvotes
Markham
In general I think that is true dnyc, but I gave the deal to my friend as a referral and the starchoice guy was able to sign him up over the phone without issue (as my friend lives in Ottawa, far from me in Brockville). I will call him tomorrow to find out for sure.

And yeah, NO CONTRACT. I can cancel anytime. He said if I cancel within the first year they would like their receivers back, but otherwise they are mine to keep.
Feb 24, 2003
397 posts
51 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks for posting the deal. Lot's of info.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2003
15540 posts
981 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Many of us got in on a similar deal a few years ago. We still have ours and the price has never changed from what we originally signed up for. You can also add additional packs of channels if you want but as long as you never change the original "package" you keep that price. We just swung a deal with them for an HD receiver for net of $99, got them down to $149 cash +$50 PPV credit.

OP, it would probably help folks out if you listed the actual channels you get. I know a few years ago with this offer it was a somewhat altered channel list from what was listed on the website for packages.
Thinking seriously about the 4 S's...Sun, Sand, Surf and ... Booked for Sept in Mexico and booked Samana DR for Jan!
Deal Addict
May 3, 2008
4442 posts
247 upvotes
Jon Lai wrote: So it's about the same price as the retentions deal for Rogers VIP...
Should I change from Rogers $36/month to this or get some other new promo with Rogers? I have an HD ready TV and a standard non-HD TV but don't have an HD reciever or anything. Ahhhh I wish I could get Dishnetwork again but it's so friggin complicated.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 21, 2006
5148 posts
101 upvotes
This is not a new deal. It has been running for the last 2 years, but in Ontario only as you pointed out. The rest of the country is getting hosed on prices by $haw Direct. :mad:
Aug 7, 2006
419 posts
9 upvotes
Markham
I am not surprised that this deal has been going on for a while... I just didn't see it anywhere, and I know a lot of people don't know about it so I decided to post it.

Sorry nettles, but I don't know anything about the Rogers plans so I can't make a recommendation.

What CSK'sMom said about the ability to add additional bundles at normal cost is true; furthermore you can pick and choose individual channels ala carte that are not otherwise included for $2.50/each, or $3.00 for two (and you can get up to 8 channels this way, for a total of $12 extra per month, each additional channel after this is a straightforward $2.50/each).

I will try to find a list of channels that are included, or find a way to scan the flyer that I got that has them listed or something. For now, if anyone has the public brochure that Shaw has available, the 38.98 package mentioned above is the exact same as the Digital Favourites package offered on the brochure for $54.99/mth. The brochure has the list of channels.

I'm sorry I can't help everyone else in Canada out. :( I don't know what kind of packages are offered elsewhere.
Jul 26, 2007
438 posts
693 upvotes
Darrington Darque wrote: I
And yeah, NO CONTRACT. I can cancel anytime. He said if I cancel within the first year they would like their receivers back, but otherwise they are mine to keep.
I bought a Starchoice receiver from BestBuy a few months back and signed up for one of their packages. The csr did not mention anything about a contract, nor was there anything on their website pricings. After having it for about 3 months, I decided to cancel my package so I called them up and the csr told me if I cancel within a year that I have to send the receiver back to them. I explained to the csr that I bought it from BestBuy (paid $199 full price) and that I own it and would not send it to them. Then they told me I would have a $200 fee if I did not return the receiver.

This was the exact same response I got from every csr that I called. I created an anology to make the csr's understand what the situation was: If i buy a virgin mobile phone from bestbuy for the full price, then sign up for a plan through virgin and later decide to cancel it, it would be equivalent to them asking me for the phone back that I bought and fully own because I want to cancel my plan (im talking about the no-contract plans). It baffled me why they would want me to send them a receiver that I did not purchase from them, it was a double whammy situation. If i sent them the receiver, I would be out the $199 I paid for it from bestbuy, and if I didnt send it then they would charge me another $200 bucks, so I would be out $400 (assuming I didnt sell my receiver to make back some of the money).

After days of going back and forth, I finally got a manager on the phone who canceled my package without charging me the $200 fee, and I got to keep my receiver but not with a hell of alot of fighting over something so obviously wrong.

TLDR; Bought a receiver from bestbuy for $200, signed up for a package with starchoice, tried to cancel after 3 months and they wanted me to send them the receiver or they would charge me another $200. Got it resolved in the end. Got to keep my receiver (sold it later on to recoup money), and canceled without any fees.
Aug 14, 2006
344 posts
64 upvotes
Kanata
CSK'sMom wrote: OP, it would probably help folks out if you listed the actual channels you get. I know a few years ago with this offer it was a somewhat altered channel list from what was listed on the website for packages.
I agree. If you could list the channels you get, it would help us understand the package.

I've read on the internet that this deal is called the "Extra Value Pack", but that some people calling Shaw Direct (formerly Star Choice) about it were told they could not get it. If anyone in the Ottawa area manages to get this deal, let me know as I would be very interested in getting it too.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2006
2863 posts
4092 upvotes
Toronto
noob queston but I googled it and couldn't find the answer anywhere: are receivers locked to an individual satellite dish? That is, can I buy the Shaw package with multiple receivers and buy a second dish off Craigslist and use one receiver at home and one at my cottage without having to sign up for a second monthly package?
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2004
1360 posts
107 upvotes
You need to register the second IRD with them to activate it on your account. But you don't have to tell them it's for your cottage. If you say it's a for a second tv in your house, they'll ding you the $4.99 and you can then take that second IRD to your cottage or a friends house or wherever.
toronto_slim wrote: noob queston but I googled it and couldn't find the answer anywhere: are receivers locked to an individual satellite dish? That is, can I buy the Shaw package with multiple receivers and buy a second dish off Craigslist and use one receiver at home and one at my cottage without having to sign up for a second monthly package?
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2002
1119 posts
208 upvotes
I know OP said this is for new customers, but anyone know if it'll work for existing customers? I'm on the $20 digital basic package, and I'd love to get the essentials package for almost the same price as I'm paying now for basic.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2004
3064 posts
517 upvotes
I have had this for two years, but you need to go through the sales person channel to get this deal. The only thing that has sucked is that they increased the price by $4 over time, used to be $34.99

Still beats the crap out of list pricing from anywhere, including Rogers.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 21, 2006
5148 posts
101 upvotes
Darrington Darque wrote: I don't know what kind of packages are offered elsewhere.
Shaw doesn't offer any deals on Shaw Direct (Starchoice) in the west because they would be competing with themselves. In other words, this is a typical Canadian anti-competitive situation.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)