• Jan 17th, 2019 7:30 am
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
6154 posts
1772 upvotes
Whitby
dani6634 wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 9:39 am
I have a router table / dado stack that could cut the rabbet, it is the length that is the concern.
Couple of feather blocks and outfeed/infeed support would do it....another set of hands on the outfeed side would be best.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
6154 posts
1772 upvotes
Whitby
On of the feather blocks goes on the fence pushing down, I should have mentioned. Long pieces of MDF trim are a bit unwiedly to start but with your second set of hands starting at the back on infeed side and then going to outfeed as piece is pushed through its an easy job. At least trim is uniform size so thats not an issue.

Hate MDF on a router table, its like working with dirt. At end of day you don't have nice aroma of wood in the air and terrible dirt boogers if you don't wear a mask. Its cold but don't consider doing this in the garage, its definetly a driveway/backyard job.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2009
1568 posts
507 upvotes
Toronto
Sorry to go off-topic slightly but I have wanted to replace/install new hardwood/laminate in my house that has 10" baseboards and plaster walls like the OP. Can this be done without taking off the baseboards? It seems like a ton of work and will most likely destroy the already cracking walls. Would removing the quarter round suffice to replace the flooring?? Thanks
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2011
2820 posts
1023 upvotes
hoponpop wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 2:22 pm
Sorry to go off-topic slightly but I have wanted to replace/install new hardwood/laminate in my house that has 10" baseboards and plaster walls like the OP. Can this be done without taking off the baseboards? It seems like a ton of work and will most likely destroy the already cracking walls. Would removing the quarter round suffice to replace the flooring?? Thanks
That is the most common way of doing jobs like that, whether or not there already is quarter round. Lay your new floor, and install quarter round.
"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is."
Just a guy who dabbles in lots of stuff learning along the way. I do have opinions, and readily share them!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
6771 posts
3046 upvotes
Paris
Zamboni wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 10:19 am
On of the feather blocks goes on the fence pushing down, I should have mentioned. Long pieces of MDF trim are a bit unwiedly to start but with your second set of hands starting at the back on infeed side and then going to outfeed as piece is pushed through its an easy job. At least trim is uniform size so thats not an issue.

Hate MDF on a router table, its like working with dirt. At end of day you don't have nice aroma of wood in the air and terrible dirt boogers if you don't wear a mask. Its cold but don't consider doing this in the garage, its definetly a driveway/backyard job.
Mask and solid dust collection. Not just a vacuum, but a dedicated machine can be had for 150 or less.
For sale: Ego 56V 5aH batteries, BNIB
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/ego-law ... h-2294293/
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
16510 posts
1537 upvotes
Thornhill
Zamboni wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 10:19 am
+1 on terrible dirt boogers.

bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2005
1542 posts
100 upvotes
Toronto
dani6634 wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 9:15 am
Thanks everyone for your input/advice. I am going to think over the weekend but I might do a 2 part base to get to 8". The top part is the base I already have, biggest concern will be how do I mill 12ft sections for the bottom base because I will have to make that in house.

Screen Shot 2019-01-12 at 9.09.50 AM.png
Off-topic, but I'm looking for the 5.5" bevel baseboard you have in this diagram; where did you get it?
Mar 22, 2017
577 posts
454 upvotes
For what it's worth, I think that 8" baseboards in homes that don't have high ceilings can look disproportionate - too much of the vertical space is taken up by the baseboard, making the wall seem stubby and the ceilings low. This is worsened if you also do crown moulding. The 5.5" baseboards (in real wood, it lasts longer!) can definitely be appropriate in a home with sub-9 foot ceilings. Homes that are build with 9-10 foot ceilings can more easily take a 7+ inch baseboard.

Don't use quarter round, the look is dated. Use shoe molding matched to the baseboard style.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2005
3671 posts
987 upvotes
Ottawa
grumble wrote:
Jan 14th, 2019 3:19 pm
For what it's worth, I think that 8" baseboards in homes that don't have high ceilings can look disproportionate - too much of the vertical space is taken up by the baseboard, making the wall seem stubby and the ceilings low. This is worsened if you also do crown moulding. The 5.5" baseboards (in real wood, it lasts longer!) can definitely be appropriate in a home with sub-9 foot ceilings. Homes that are build with 9-10 foot ceilings can more easily take a 7+ inch baseboard.
Agreed. It's surprising how many posters are commenting on the appropriateness of OPs plans and downvoting the thread knowing no more than the age of the property.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2011
2820 posts
1023 upvotes
dirtmover wrote:
Jan 14th, 2019 6:20 pm
Agreed. It's surprising how many posters are commenting on the appropriateness of OPs plans and downvoting the thread knowing no more than the age of the property.
You clearly overlooked something completely. Those 'posters' you are referring to know much much more than the age of the property. They know the size of the original baseboards~!
"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is."
Just a guy who dabbles in lots of stuff learning along the way. I do have opinions, and readily share them!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2002
7029 posts
582 upvotes
Toronto
anom wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 10:57 am
Thanks. I was looking for the bevel without the step like you have there to match the rest of my house.
Did you check Central Fairbank yet?
20171007_115319.jpg