• Jun 29th, 2007 10:09 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
May 18, 2006
994 posts
24 upvotes

Removing Mouldy Particleboard?

I'm hoping that some of the construction professionals that contribute to this forum can shed some light on this for me.
We bought a 3 year old house last March, so it's now 4. We had virtually no reason to go into the cold storage room in the basement, so we didn't, for a long time. This whole "sump pump" thing was new to me, and I didn't know it needed to be checked/flushed regularly. Apparently, neither did the original owners. When I finally noticed our "problem", Lord knows how long the sump pump had not been working (the internal switch was toast).
Well, the problem we noticed is a considerable amount of green/ grey/black/white mould on the particle board sitting atop the 2X4s which run across the ceiling of the cold room. What I've been told is that the particle board was basically used as a form to pour the porch cement. If this is so, would it be OK to cut out all that particleboard now? I'm going to use that "concrobium" stuff from HH regardless - it just seems to make sense to get rid of the stuff altogether. Maybe I could leave the particleboard that is actually lodged between the 2X4s and the concrete and cut out everything else?
Any opinions or input would be greatly appreciated, I (obviously) don't have much of a clue.
Thanks,
J
:confused: :confused: :confused:
8 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 9, 2004
21622 posts
262 upvotes
Mississauga
put a mask on and spray/wipe the area with a bleach solution. See if that solves the problem first.
Thanks for the memories, RFD.
Good-bye.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
33665 posts
7638 upvotes
Ottawa
I am not a pro but I would first kill the mold, then remove the particle board. A product like http://www.propertyperfections.net/ may work for you. Do a search on the net for many other types.
You know, when you get somone in to fix your sump pump, get them to do the whole job. That way they will have to dispose of the particle board as well. Sometimes it is just smart to hire the pros to do the job.
Jan 9, 2005
672 posts
Vancouver, BC
That concrobium stuff works awsome, I was a little skeptical considering the home depot people told me it was a gimmick because nothing kills mold...well this stuff annhiliated my mold issue.
INSERT SIGNATURE HERE OR HERE OR HERE BUT NOT HERE OR HERE Do you have a bad case of mahjongmaniacitis?
[OP]
May 18, 2006
994 posts
24 upvotes
stealth wrote:
Jun 28th, 2007 2:43 pm
put a mask on and spray/wipe the area with a bleach solution. See if that solves the problem first.
Actually, I've read that's usually one of the least effective ways, because it doesn't get to the literal "roots" of the problem, plus the fact that it isn't a smooth, readily-wipeable surface. Thanks anyway :)
Pete_Coach wrote:
Jun 28th, 2007 6:50 pm
I am not a pro but I would first kill the mold, then remove the particle board. A product like http://www.propertyperfections.net/ may work for you. Do a search on the net for many other types.
You know, when you get somone in to fix your sump pump, get them to do the whole job. That way they will have to dispose of the particle board as well. Sometimes it is just smart to hire the pros to do the job.
I actually was able to fix the sump pump myself (thank you, thank you - actually it was pretty easy), but I think you're right about hitting it with the concrobium first. It seems like the link you provided has organic products very much like concrobium. The makers claim you can drink the stuff because it's all-natural and safe, but Meg Ruffman (that home reno chick) and other pros swear by it, so I already bought some. My only big question now is whether there is any reason I SHOULDN'T remove that particleboard, i.e, is it structurally safe to do so? I don't see why not, but maybe someone else knows better than I.
Jan 9, 2005
672 posts
Vancouver, BC
I don't see how it could harm anything but what about painting over it once treated with concrobium. You can buy a bathroom type paint like "Killz" that has a mildew/mold inhibitor in it. Still, I would be more inclined to get rid of the particle board.
INSERT SIGNATURE HERE OR HERE OR HERE BUT NOT HERE OR HERE Do you have a bad case of mahjongmaniacitis?
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2007
1186 posts
132 upvotes
Brampton
I think you should remove the piece, since it is unlikely particleboard is supporting anything structurally and it sounds like the mold has reached a point where trying to kill/paint over it etc is not reasonable.

I remove a lot of moldy drywall and I just wear a mask, hat and gloves. Buy a decent mask and carefully take the piece out of the house, or put it in large bags and then take it out of the house. Try not to disturb the mold too much.

You might try painting it first with a paint like Zinzer BIN to contain it before removing the piece.
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2002
2107 posts
33 upvotes
lapopal wrote:
Jun 28th, 2007 7:33 pm
That concrobium stuff works awsome, I was a little skeptical considering the home depot people told me it was a gimmick because nothing kills mold...well this stuff annhiliated my mold issue.
WHAT?!?!?!!??

Concrobium is the real deal. My wife worked on the product. Home Depot is the main distributor, and the company she works for would be very interested to know they are claiming the product is a "gimmick".

Technically, it doesn't kill mold, but it encapsulates it and prevents it from growing and spreading. It is extremely effective. Just don't wash the concrobium off. Spray the area and then leave it, cover it, build over it, whatever.
May 31, 2006
153 posts
Yes you can safely rip out all the 2x4's and "particle board". They never use particle board in concrete formwork - perhaps you have misnamed it.

Laundry bleach is not very powerful at killing mould. Swimming pool stuff is better. Purox from CanadianTire sells for $5 a 4L jug and has a nice fresh clean soap kinda sent.

Put a pool "puck" in the sump if its real nasty. You can break the puck into smaller bits as you see fit. Keep a puck there all the time like they do with those urinal cake things in mens washrooms.