• Sep 8th, 2016 8:00 pm
Tags:
Nov 29, 2014
680 posts
83 upvotes
Pitt Meadows, BC

Removing a threaded screw on a laptop

I didn't know where to put this.

So I didn't want to break the stuff in the laptop and the duck tape and elastic band trick didn't work. So another option was to cut a notch in the top but it was to tight of a space. I also didn't want to hammer directly on the screw cause stuff was under it.

So I figured the best way was to hammer diagonally really hard and break the lift it was on and expose the base of the screw that was seated below the lift. It wouldn't damage what was below. Sure enough it worked :D.

Once I banged the screw side hard enough to expose it. The screw came off. I was banging the metal lift, so it was a bit tricky. It deformed and smelled like burning metal... The stuff underneath survived though. Part of the lift was destroyed. So it looks bad but functions the same as before less a screw and screw hole.

That was my story of removing a screw on a laptop.
I play the video games H2, WC3. I bank with low fee or no fee banks like Implicity. If you got questions ask.
8 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 22, 2004
1163 posts
210 upvotes
what type of screw was it that you had to resort to this?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
Stripped?

Also why not crazy glue something to it?
The screw is screwed anyway (heh) so glue a handle of some sort to it so you can get it off.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6913 posts
5816 upvotes
Burlington
I think this is what you need

Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2010
1879 posts
1407 upvotes
Barrie ON
it's possible that the screw had been Locktite'd in position to prevent vibrations from loosening it. Locktite can be loosened with heat when removal is required. I suggest using a propane torch to get the heat that is required.

Using a hammer and torch should provide access to any part of a laptop. A reciprocating saw can also be useful for models that have heavier than normal cases.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2009
1985 posts
161 upvotes
How to remove a threaded screw: Turn in direction opposite to that which was used to install the screw.
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2012
2338 posts
345 upvotes
In another world
Using a hammer on a screw in a laptop.
I guess the laptop wasn't that important.