• Last Updated:
  • Mar 20th, 2017 6:23 pm
[OP]
Oct 21, 2013
223 posts
18 upvotes
North

Renewal with GoDaddy

I've been using Godaddy for a couple of years and my domain is up for renewal. Now the price is CAD$20+tax for a year which is too high.
Couldn't find any coupons online. Any other alternatives you guys recommend which is cheaper?
14 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
1429 posts
664 upvotes
Richmond
Same here. I've been transferring my GoDaddy domains to Namecheap.com. They're not the absolute cheapest, but I've been using them without problems for years. You might want to check out Google Domains too, esp. if you want cheap domain privacy.

Namecheap is US $9.69 including free domain privacy for the first year when you transfer a domain, US $10.69 per year (optionally +$2.88 for privacy) on renewal.
Last edited by Faith24 on Mar 17th, 2017 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2004
2847 posts
218 upvotes
Mississauga
Try rebel.com
I've seen them advertise before, never tried it.
I'm also thinking of transferring .ca domain to them.
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2014
3025 posts
1181 upvotes
I don't "renew" domains. I transfer them between different registrars.
Transferring adds 1 year. It is cheaper. If there is a promotion, even better.
Charging more for renewals clearly shows that domain registrars don't give a shit about customer loyalty.

Namecheap is expensive too.
Transfer between GoDaddy, 1and1, Hover, Rebel.com, WHC.ca.
Feb 25, 2009
471 posts
78 upvotes
Montreal
I'm in the same boat. I have about 5-6 domains, now it becomes expensive at 20$/year. It seems that Namecheap has good reputation?
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
16648 posts
1674 upvotes
GTA West
Namecheap, NameSilo, Gandi are all good choices.

Gandi is a little more expensive but I have had amazing help from their support people.
- Not Collecting AIR MILES Since 2016/07 -
- Casual Gastronomist -
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2014
3025 posts
1181 upvotes
Jucius Maximus wrote:
Mar 18th, 2017 8:23 pm
Namecheap, NameSilo, Gandi are all good choices.

Gandi is a little more expensive but I have had amazing help from their support people.
What kind of help do you need for a domain?
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
16648 posts
1674 upvotes
GTA West
hvwozq wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 6:46 am
What kind of help do you need for a domain?
Had problems in which certain emails from certain services sent to my domain weren't getting through. Their support people went digging deeply into the situation and eventually found exactly how the sender's mail server was misconfigured and was therefore blocked but anti spam.
- Casual Gastronomist -
Feb 25, 2009
471 posts
78 upvotes
Montreal
Godaddy support may be the worst on the world. They shutdown/reboot/change the configuration the server, our website down, they always say that users fault on the scripting/programming, however the website was running since years. We must go through several times to reach a higher level support that they know more technically. Those people at the 1st level support are dump guys who only search their knowledge base for the similar error message .

The only thing I still have with Godaddy is their email servers quite stable and fast. Email sending and receiving is very fast.
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2014
3025 posts
1181 upvotes
Jucius Maximus wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 10:40 am
Had problems in which certain emails from certain services sent to my domain weren't getting through. Their support people went digging deeply into the situation and eventually found exactly how the sender's mail server was misconfigured and was therefore blocked but anti spam.
ThomasTran wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 10:54 am
Godaddy support may be the worst on the world. They shutdown/reboot/change the configuration the server, our website down, they always say that users fault on the scripting/programming, however the website was running since years. We must go through several times to reach a higher level support that they know more technically. Those people at the 1st level support are dump guys who only search their knowledge base for the similar error message .

The only thing I still have with Godaddy is their email servers quite stable and fast. Email sending and receiving is very fast.
These are not related to domain registration. They are email, website hosting problems.
Feb 25, 2009
471 posts
78 upvotes
Montreal
hvwozq wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 12:43 pm
These are not related to domain registration. They are email, website hosting problems.
So we don't have right to discuss something similar here? Are you playing police role?
Usually, but not all the time, when register a domain with a registrar we also use their email, hosting services, etc, and their support is also an important point to consider.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
16648 posts
1674 upvotes
GTA West
hvwozq wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 12:43 pm
It's true that e-mail server issues are not directly related to domain registration, however, the only money I ever paid to Gandi was for domain registration.
And the support I received also suggests they have a competent back-end crew in general.
- Casual Gastronomist -
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2009
2261 posts
224 upvotes
Ottawa
ThomasTran wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 12:57 pm
So we don't have right to discuss something similar here? Are you playing police role?
Usually, but not all the time, when register a domain with a registrar we also use their email, hosting services, etc, and their support is also an important point to consider.
no need to become aggressive, others are entitled to their opinion exactly the same way as you are
IT Services provider in Ottawa area.
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
1429 posts
664 upvotes
Richmond
If you are planning to transfer your domain away from GoDaddy, you can probably get an offer of 20% off by clicking on the option "Transfer domain away from GoDaddy" under the domain settings. This is obviously an unnecessary function since the transfer is always initiated from the other end, but its purpose is to give GoDaddy a chance to make you an offer. Of course 20% off isn't likely to change your mind if you have already found a cheaper registrar, but it will help if you prefer to stay with GoDaddy. In my experience you only get this offer once per domain, so don't discard it and then try to get back to it later.
Jun 8, 2007
240 posts
305 upvotes
Langley
I started off with GoDaddy, but got sick of their efforts to cram more services onto the bill. I've been using 10dollar.ca for the past 5 years, and I have had no problems with them. Moving my domains from GoDaddy was a fairly painless process.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel