• Last Updated:
  • Jun 5th, 2019 2:28 pm
Mar 13, 2009
781 posts
212 upvotes
Maple

Renovation costs

Hello all,

I would like to get an idea about some renovation costs. I know that things like plumbing and electrical are really difficult to estimate without seeing the actual place. However, some things are pretty straightforward. For example:

Bathroom demolition (shower, tiles, vanity, bathtub etc.) Bathroom size is around 120 sqft.
Garbage bin and disposal for that bathroom.
Framing, drywall, plaster, moldings, baseboards and paint of new room (around 15x10 feet).

Thank you!
78 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
4763 posts
2462 upvotes
ak1004 wrote: Hello all,

I would like to get an idea about some renovation costs. I know that things like plumbing and electrical are really difficult to estimate without seeing the actual place. However, some things are pretty straightforward. For example:

Bathroom demolition (shower, tiles, vanity, bathtub etc.) Bathroom size is around 120 sqft.
Garbage bin and disposal for that bathroom.
Framing, drywall, plaster, moldings, baseboards and paint of new room (around 15x10 feet).

Thank you!
Are you doing this work yourself and just looking for a general idea of cost of material or are you looking to hire a contractor to do the whole job?
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Mar 13, 2009
781 posts
212 upvotes
Maple
I'm looking to hire a contractor, and this is part of a larger job. I know other costs more or less, just trying to get an idea for those parts that I mentioned because they are pretty straightforward.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2004
1474 posts
438 upvotes
Toronto
ak1004 wrote: I'm looking to hire a contractor, and this is part of a larger job. I know other costs more or less, just trying to get an idea for those parts that I mentioned because they are pretty straightforward.
We need a lot more info. You can put in a $300 tub, or do a $15000 custom shower with lights, radio, multiple jets, marble, etc. Then a $150 toilet or a $10000 smart toilet. Also, size will impact it.

Either way, you are probably looking at 10k minimum to completely gut and redo a bathroom and this is barebones. This probably breaks down as about 9k labour, 1k materials.
Mar 13, 2009
781 posts
212 upvotes
Maple
James_TheVirus wrote: We need a lot more info. You can put in a $300 tub, or do a $15000 custom shower with lights, radio, multiple jets, marble, etc. Then a $150 toilet or a $10000 smart toilet. Also, size will impact it.

Either way, you are probably looking at 10k minimum to completely gut and redo a bathroom and this is barebones. This probably breaks down as about 9k labour, 1k materials.
I know. This is why I said I know the other costs (like tub, toilet, shower, tiles etc.) but I'm looking to see how much the things I mentioned will cost. If I know the cost per sqft (including materials and labor) for framing, drywall, plaster, moldings, baseboards and paint, I will have a better understanding of the overall expected cost.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2004
1474 posts
438 upvotes
Toronto
ak1004 wrote: I know. This is why I said I know the other costs (like tub, toilet, shower, tiles etc.) but I'm looking to see how much the things I mentioned will cost. If I know the cost per sqft (including materials and labor) for framing, drywall, plaster, moldings, baseboards and paint, I will have a better understanding of the overall expected cost.
Here is the thing...for laying tile, you might get a guy to give you a quote for $800 just to do the job whether it is 50sq ft or 100 because the majority of the time spent is traveling to the site and getting setup. Framing may not even be required, or your walls could be rotten and have half a day of work to reframe everything. What you are looking for is impossible to give you without more details...

Tell you what, if you are in Maple, and your house is under 2000sq ft; I will come and put in the bathroom for you for $150,000 not knowing any of these details. I take cash or cheque.
Mar 13, 2009
781 posts
212 upvotes
Maple
James_TheVirus wrote: Here is the thing...for laying tile, you might get a guy to give you a quote for $800 just to do the job whether it is 50sq ft or 100 because the majority of the time spent is traveling to the site and getting setup. Framing may not even be required, or your walls could be rotten and have half a day of work to reframe everything. What you are looking for is impossible to give you without more details...

Tell you what, if you are in Maple, and your house is under 2000sq ft; I will come and put in the bathroom for you for $150,000 not knowing any of these details. I take cash or cheque.
Well, I thought it was a pretty simple question. I'm building a new room on the second floor as part of the larger project. I did not ask about tiles or other costs because I know them. I know that building a new room involves framing, drywall, plaster, moldings, baseboards and paint. The room is around 15x10 feet. It will be using 2 existing walls and build 2 new walls to complete the structure.

Looks like a pretty simple question to me. If you can give me an approximate price, fine. If not, no reason to respond with sarcasm.

Thank you.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
4763 posts
2462 upvotes
ak1004 wrote: Well, I thought it was a pretty simple question. I'm building a new room on the second floor as part of the larger project. I did not ask about tiles or other costs because I know them. I know that building a new room involves framing, drywall, plaster, moldings, baseboards and paint. The room is around 15x10 feet. It will be using 2 existing walls and build 2 new walls to complete the structure.

Looks like a pretty simple question to me. If you can give me an approximate price, fine. If not, no reason to respond with sarcasm.

Thank you.
Pretty easy to calculate this cost yourself then. Just do an inventory of the material needed and price it out. Simple
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Mar 13, 2009
781 posts
212 upvotes
Maple
Red_Army wrote: Pretty easy to calculate this cost yourself then. Just do an inventory of the material needed and price it out. Simple
But i don't know the cost of labor and materials. If i knew i probably wouldn't ask.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
4763 posts
2462 upvotes
ak1004 wrote: But i don't know the cost of labor and materials. If i knew i probably wouldn't ask.
A bathroom gut and replace if you’re hiring someone will cost you at least 10k with basic materials
Mar 13, 2009
781 posts
212 upvotes
Maple
Red_Army wrote: A bathroom gut and replace if you’re hiring someone will cost you at least 10k with basic materials
Once again this was not my question.
Mar 13, 2009
781 posts
212 upvotes
Maple
Maybe I wasn't clear with my questions. I will try again.

I found this - http://ontariocontractors.com/costs.htm

Examples:
New Plaster - $8-11 sqft. Is this accurate? So for 10x15 feet room, the total surface is (10+15+10+15)*9=450 sqft, the plaster will cost around $4,000?? Sounds very high to me, what am I missing?
Install drywall - $1.50-3 sqft. According to same calculation, drywall for 10x15 feet room would cost $675-1300. Is it about right?

I need cost per sqft for other components I mentioned (framing, paint, moldings). Once again, I'm not asking about bathroom as I know costs will vary, based on what you select.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
7407 posts
2998 upvotes
Whitby
ak1004 wrote:
New Plaster - $8-11 sqft. Is this accurate? So for 10x15 feet room, the total surface is (10+15+10+15)*9=450 sqft, the plaster will cost around $4,000?? Sounds very high to me, what am I missing?
Plaster & lath is labour intensive and not nearly as many contractors doing it as drywall so not as much competition on pricing.

Install drywall - $1.50-3 sqft. According to same calculation, drywall for 10x15 feet room would cost $675-1300. Is it about right?
Yep......and cement board or Den shield in shower area will add to that

I need cost per sqft for other components I mentioned (framing, paint, moldings). Once again, I'm not asking about bathroom as I know costs will vary, based on what you select.
No one can estimate the framing until washroom is gutted. Baseboard and window trim install you can budget $1.50 per linear foot labour.
Mar 13, 2009
781 posts
212 upvotes
Maple
Thank you. I was referring to framing of the new room, not washroom.

So you are saying that plaster of one single room could be as high as $4,000??

Let me ask it from a different angle: what would be a total cost to build a new room on the second floor? It basically involves using two existing walls, and adding two more walls. Total size: 10x15 feet. It is built inside an existing living area (big loft), so using the existing floor and ceiling.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27801 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Hey, I hear your frustration
But the PLAIN JANE TRUTH IS
NO ONE ON AN INTERNET FORUM
Is gonna be able to give you any sort of ACCURATE info
To the extent you want
Even if they have Building / Contracting experience

Ya need to consult with a Contractor
Who will actually SEE & MEASURE the space
EVALUATE what’s there now
And WHAT IT IS YOU WANT DONE

Even then, a Contractor is gonna tell you...
NOTHING IS CAST IN STONE
Until they bring down the current walls to see what’s what
(Drywall rip out is fairly straight forward, if you currently have lath & plaster, then that’s a whole other kettle of fish)

Thing is, it’s hard to estimate cuz once the walls are down
That’s when they could find a whole multitude of hidden issues
Leaks, Rot, Old Plumbing, Heating Ducts, Old Wiring etc

All of which based on TODAYS BUILDING CODE
WOULD HAVE TO BE ADDRESSED
So at some point ... there is no going back
It’s full on commitment

Which is exactly WHY ya need not only a decent budget
But a contingency fund
An average bath new build is $ 10 to $ 20 K (all in)
BUT this isn’t a NEW BUILD ... it’s a Reno
And as such, the older the house ... the bigger the cost / potential issues
I say budget $ 20 to $ 30 K for a Reno
And you are probably in the right ball park

But only a Contractor who EVALUATES it will be able to say for sure

Start there, go get yourself some Consultations / Quotes
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12694 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
ak1004 wrote: Thank you. I was referring to framing of the new room, not washroom.

So you are saying that plaster of one single room could be as high as $4,000??

Let me ask it from a different angle: what would be a total cost to build a new room on the second floor? It basically involves using two existing walls, and adding two more walls. Total size: 10x15 feet. It is built inside an existing living area (big loft), so using the existing floor and ceiling.
Without seeing it, 5k for framing and basic drywall plus finishes.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2011
9598 posts
2225 upvotes
Somewhere
PointsHubby wrote: Hey, I hear your frustration
But the PLAIN JANE TRUTH IS
NO ONE ON AN INTERNET FORUM
Is gonna be able to give you any sort of ACCURATE info
To the extent you want
Even if they have Building / Contracting experience

Ya need to consult with a Contractor
Who will actually SEE & MEASURE the space
EVALUATE what’s there now
And WHAT IT IS YOU WANT DONE

Even then, a Contractor is gonna tell you...
NOTHING IS CAST IN STONE
Until they bring down the current walls to see what’s what
(Drywall rip out is fairly straight forward, if you currently have lath & plaster, then that’s a whole other kettle of fish)

Thing is, it’s hard to estimate cuz once the walls are down
That’s when they could find a whole multitude of hidden issues
Leaks, Rot, Old Plumbing, Heating Ducts, Old Wiring etc

All of which based on TODAYS BUILDING CODE
WOULD HAVE TO BE ADDRESSED
So at some point ... there is no going back
It’s full on commitment

Which is exactly WHY ya need not only a decent budget
But a contingency fund
An average bath new build is $ 10 to $ 20 K (all in)
BUT this isn’t a NEW BUILD ... it’s a Reno
And as such, the older the house ... the bigger the cost / potential issues
I say budget $ 20 to $ 30 K for a Reno
And you are probably in the right ball park

But only a Contractor who EVALUATES it will be able to say for sure

Start there, go get yourself some Consultations / Quotes
I agree.
:confused:
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
4763 posts
2462 upvotes
Sounds like you need to have some people in to get quotes. You wanted a general idea and you got it, but now that’s not enough. Time to call someone in
Mar 13, 2009
781 posts
212 upvotes
Maple
Thank you everyone for replying.

I completely understand that bathroom reno has too many moving parts (plumbing, different selection of fixtures etc.). But adding a room should be pretty straightforward in terms of costs. So here is a quote I got for adding a room as described above (using an existing space and adding 2 walls to get a room of ~15x10 feet:

electrical/pot.lights $1,000
framing $3,000
insulation $600
drywall $1,500
plaster $1,000
paint work $600
pain cost $250
moldings $800
trims , baseboards, doors $800

Total $9,550

Any comments are welcome.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12694 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
ak1004 wrote: But adding a room should be pretty straightforward in terms of costs.
Any comments are welcome.
Only it’s not, and literally everyone in this thread has told you that. And you have a quote. Get 2 more and pick.

Or if it’s so easy, DIY it.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)