Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2010
2352 posts
382 upvotes
Toronto

Renovation tax credit?

I am changing some windows at home and the total cost is about $1730 (including tax)

Just wondering if I can apply for any renovation tax credit? I saw one for Ontario and it only applies if there is a senior living at home. Anything else? I thought there was another one a few years ago, but nothing comes up when I search for it.

And assuming I am eligible for it, can I file it I'm this year's income tax return? Or since the work was done in 2015, then I can only file it for the 2015 tax year?
My Signature is empty. My signature space is not for sale. You may not contact me to advertise your RFD-related activities here. I repeat, this signature-space is not for sale, unless it is a ......day
1 reply
Mar 2, 2010
452 posts
44 upvotes
Home renovation tax credit existed few years ago (does not exist now). Now there is a healthy home renovation tax credit, if changes are done to assist with elderly living in the house.

I do not believe upgrading windows qualifies for the tax credit.

If the work is done in 2015, then you can only claim the tax credit next year. Just hope that home renovation tax credit is back. If no changes to tax rules take place for next year, then most likely you won't be able to claim anything.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)