• Last Updated:
  • Jun 28th, 2011 9:26 am
Tags:
None
Nov 8, 2005
198 posts

Is Rent Deductible?

Hi guys, I know this is probably the dummest question of the form but I want to make sure..

Is rent deductible on your taxes? Can you deduct the rent you pay annually from your income? I live in an apartment by the way.

I tried googling this but I haven't got a clear answer. I am thinking it isn't deductible.

Any input appreciated.
20 replies
Feb 20, 2007
6 posts
If you don't have a home-based business, I do not believe you can claim your rent.

If you do have a home-based business, I heard you can claim a portion. That's all I heard, someone else probably has better answer on this...

Or, call CCRA at 1-800-959-8281. Press * to speak to someone. I called last night 8:30 (and on a weeknight 2 weeks ago), the wait time is less than 2 minutes.
[OP]
Nov 8, 2005
198 posts
thanks..

I believe thats how it works too. If you run a business from home, you can claim some amount of your rent. I think thats how it is. But I dont have a home business.. I am just renting... what is the answer to that. thanks
Mar 17, 2006
268 posts
12 upvotes
If you live in Ontario, there is a Property tax credit that you can claim if you pay rent or property tax. Not sure about other provinces. The amount of the credit is reduced as your income goes up so depending on the amount of income you earn, this credit may or may not be effective.
Property tax credit (lines 6 to 12)

You can claim this credit if all of the following conditions apply:

* you were a resident of Ontario on December 31, 2006;
* rent or property tax on a principal residence (as defined below) was paid by or for you in 2006; and
* you were 16 or older on December 31, 2006.

You cannot claim this credit if on December 31, 2006, you were under 19 and you lived with someone who received a Canada Child Tax Benefit payment for you in 2006.

A principal residence is a housing unit in Ontario that you usually occupy during the year. It can be a house, apartment, condominium, hotel or motel room, mobile home, or rooming house. A principal residence does not include a residence exempt from municipal and school tax.
http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/tg/5006- ... P208_24451
Deal Fanatic
Apr 6, 2003
8452 posts
7 upvotes
I've deducted my rent the last few years and don't own a home business.
People who are in my gang: Nikita, Spidey, weedb0y, jcoltage, deep, pitz, Sylvestre, Icedawn, 3weddings, Ambermoon, CSK'sMom, jazzsax, bokep, matdwyer, Dash, KorruptioN, angekfire, sxz, WontonTiger, YYZFA, king_george, 45ED, sxz, Ojam

*WE GONNA GIT YOU!
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
1364 posts
49 upvotes
ullyeus wrote:
Mar 7th, 2007 5:25 pm
I've deducted my rent the last few years and don't own a home business.
If you ever get audited, you gonna face some large tax penalties.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 6, 2003
8452 posts
7 upvotes
halflife150 wrote:
Mar 7th, 2007 8:42 pm
If you ever get audited, you gonna face some large tax penalties.
Not in Manitoba, it's all legite.
People who are in my gang: Nikita, Spidey, weedb0y, jcoltage, deep, pitz, Sylvestre, Icedawn, 3weddings, Ambermoon, CSK'sMom, jazzsax, bokep, matdwyer, Dash, KorruptioN, angekfire, sxz, WontonTiger, YYZFA, king_george, 45ED, sxz, Ojam

*WE GONNA GIT YOU!
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2003
3897 posts
112 upvotes
Toronto
What WildEmu posted is correct.
--
There is no happy ending
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2007
3579 posts
108 upvotes
You don't have to own a home business to deduct rent. I've done it for a few years now... WildEmu is bang on with this.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2006
2374 posts
52 upvotes
Saskatoon
ullyeus wrote:
Mar 8th, 2007 8:11 am
Not in Manitoba, it's all legite.

No it doesn't. There is an education property tax credit but that is not a deduction.

Tax credits and tax deductions are not the same thing.
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2004
3070 posts
46 upvotes
I'll have to check my Act, but isn't there some bizzaro situation where if you were travelling for work purposes and had to rent a trailer up in the Yukon or something you could claim it as an employment related expense?
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2006
1507 posts
52 upvotes
WildEmu wrote:
Mar 7th, 2007 4:22 pm
If you live in Ontario, there is a Property tax credit that you can claim if you pay rent or property tax. Not sure about other provinces. The amount of the credit is reduced as your income goes up so depending on the amount of income you earn, this credit may or may not be effective.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/tg/5006- ... P208_24451
You can not deduct rent. It is a provincial tax credit, and it actually goes away after you make a certain amount of gross income for the year. I believe its around 40k. Therefore if you make more than 40k you won't get the rent credit, it's used the same as the property tax credit. If you're married then you get the lower income spouse to claim it.

Therefore when you or someone is preparing your taxes, make sure they include your rent paid in the Ontario tax return. You will also need to cite who it was paid to, and for what address. The system will automatically calculate for you if the rent credit even applies.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 6, 2003
8452 posts
7 upvotes
Chigu wrote:
Mar 8th, 2007 11:18 am
You can not deduct rent. It is a provincial tax credit, and it actually goes away after you make a certain amount of gross income for the year. I believe its around 40k. Therefore if you make more than 40k you won't get the rent credit, it's used the same as the property tax credit. If you're married then you get the lower income spouse to claim it.

Therefore when you or someone is preparing your taxes, make sure they include your rent paid in the Ontario tax return. You will also need to cite who it was paid to, and for what address. The system will automatically calculate for you if the rent credit even applies.
thanks for clarifying.

*WE GONNA GIT YOU!
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2001
3785 posts
267 upvotes
Kitchener
Chigu wrote:
Mar 8th, 2007 11:18 am

Awesome.

It is not worth getting irritated, it is not worth it.... Wish everyone happiness, and you yourself will be happy.
× < >