Tags:
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2009
3623 posts
1341 upvotes
Toronto
LongLiveRFD wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 8:50 pm
That's basically it. If grown adults can't sort things out themselves, then govt assigned a time and place for real adults to provide parenting services to show them how to act like adults.
I don't think 50% increase is a good place to start the negotiations. If I were op and I am open to discussion, I will still take landlord to ltb to make examples.

I might get something better than one month of rent.

The way I see it is that landlord wants to get market rate, then he has to pay a premium to get it now.
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2006
3935 posts
232 upvotes
lately, we've been seeing too many tenants here play victim card here, its's getting ridiculous!
you gotta blame partly on the government with these new rules. as explained in the other long thread.
landlord has been benefiting from cheap mortgage rates and cheaper management fees now that both costs are going up, it makes sense for rent to go up.
ie if the market rate of that same unit goes for $1500 and tenant has been paying ancient rate of $1000, meet in the middle and call it a day.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2009
3623 posts
1341 upvotes
Toronto
mingyang wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 8:56 pm
lately, we've been seeing too many tenants here play victim card here, its's getting ridiculous!
you gotta blame partly on the government with these new rules. as explained in the other long thread.
landlord has been benefiting from cheap mortgage rates and cheaper management fees now that both costs are going up, it makes sense for rent to go up.
ie if the market rate of that same unit goes for $1500 and tenant has been paying ancient rate of $1000, meet in the middle and call it a day.
It doesn't work that way buddy. You don't like the law, pay up and evict the tenant.

Did you ask your employer to give you annual raise every year because inflation goes up?

You landlord sounds like we tenant need to pay for your investment decision when all tenant has to do is to follow the law.
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2011
3065 posts
257 upvotes
GTA
Ceryx wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 8:49 pm
The landlord right is to continue getting the rent at the current rate or risk a year of rental income and hope he can a equally good tenant at higher rate at long term.

Either way, it is worse than getting increase rent from existing tenant so why would op go with it when he can either stay paying the current rent rate or get a month of rent for free moving.

You landlords here with the negotiations suggestions make me laugh. The new law is precisely to prevent landlords like you guys to evict tenant for higher rent/sales of the unit.

That's why landlord pay one months of rent to move in and cap rent increase to 2% through ltb.
It's you who has taken sides and you just assumed I have also taken side.

The one month is minimum, not max. It neither discourages negotiation nor encourage but it does points out new direction. Otherwise LTB office will explode.

Further, when the net benefits accrue to one side, the other would be under heavy scrutiny.

Does Op has any outstanding repairs, neighbor complaints or fines from condo board. Now Op just needs to get one thing wrong, his landlord would immediately issue eviction. I personally don't like that kind of pressure but if you do, feel free.

And remember, N12 abuse is not invented just today. But no one asked why the amount of abuse rose so quickly.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2009
3623 posts
1341 upvotes
Toronto
LongLiveRFD wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 9:00 pm
It's you who has taken sides and you just assumed I have also taken side.

The one month is minimum, not max. It neither discourages negotiation nor encourage but it does points out new direction. Otherwise LTB office will explode.

Further, when the net benefits accrue to one side, the other would be under heavy scrutiny.

Does Op has any outstanding repairs, neighbor complaints or fines from condo board. Now Op just needs to get one thing wrong, his landlord would immediately issue eviction. I personally don't like that kind of pressure but if you do, feel free.

And remember, N12 abuse is not invented just today. But no one asked why the amount of abuse rose so quickly.
LOL, you talk about cheap shot can be used by landlord and you are telling me you are not taking sides?

The bottom.line is that 50% increase is not a negotiations and tenant will see it as a violationl of laws.

I would talk to landlord what's going on and let him understand his options before taking him to ltb. If he is really concerned about the rate and op wants to stay, then maybe a rent increase in the middle can be arranged.

However, based on op tone that he just want cheap rent, I don't see why he agreed to the increase when he can get at least more than one month of rent from the landlord.
Last edited by Ceryx on Oct 12th, 2017 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2011
3065 posts
257 upvotes
GTA
Ceryx wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 8:58 pm
It doesn't work that way buddy. You don't like the law, pay up and evict the tenant.

Did you ask your employer to give you annual raise every year because inflation goes up?

You landlord sounds like we tenant need to pay for your investment decision when all tenant has to do is to follow the law.
You don't get inflation indexing? I am sorry as I don't know anyone not getting it.

You got it wrong, both sides have leverages but if you like to live on edge, go ahead.

Yes, Op does not have to negotiate but that's his own assessment of his own situation. You are starting a communistic class war.

After N12 is served, you leave then seek recourse, but you would already left. That's RTA protecting landlords because landlords are also people like everyone else. Not everyone can accept that they don't get to choose when to leave. What if someone has child still needs to complete the semester?

Since you chose to be divisive on this topic, go ahead, experiment with your own life and be prepared to lose your tenancy for the first wrong move you make.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2009
3623 posts
1341 upvotes
Toronto
LongLiveRFD wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 9:09 pm
You don't get inflation indexing? I am sorry as I don't know anyone not getting it.

You got it wrong, both sides have leverages but if you like to live on edge, go ahead.

Yes, Op does not have to negotiate but that's his own assessment of his own situation. You are starting a communistic class war.

After N12 is served, you leave then seek recourse, but you would already left. That's RTA protecting landlords because landlords are also people like everyone else. Not everyone can accept that they don't get to choose when to leave. What if someone has child still needs to complete the semester?

Since you chose to be divisive on this topic, go ahead, experiment with your own life and be prepared to lose your tenancy for the first wrong move you make.
LOL. If the tenant really wants to stay, he wouldn't come up here asking for rent increase being reasonable. He would suck it up and pay for it.

The tenant has he leverage when he is not afraid to move. That's when landlord loses all leverage because tenant has nothing to lose but move.

Landlord is the one with risks about getting a good tenant at proper rate after losing one month of tent and a year of no rental income.

And tenant can be pissed off by destroying his property.

If the tenant doesn't want to move, like myself this year, I wouldn't mind to negotiate for rent increase. But if my landlord tried rent increase more than guild line next year, I will surely find a new place and make sure landlord paid his share of premium for doing so.
Last edited by Ceryx on Oct 12th, 2017 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2006
3935 posts
232 upvotes
Ceryx wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 9:07 pm
LOL, you talk about cheap shot can be used by landlord and you are telling me you are not taking sides?

The bottom.line is that 50% increase is not a negotiations and tenant will see it as a spiral of laws.

I would talk to landlord what's going on and let him understand his options before taking him to ltb. If he is really concerned about the rate and op wants to stay, 1 then maybe a rent increase in the middle can be arranged.

However, based on op tone that he just want cheap rent, 2 I don't see why he agreed to the increase when he can get at least more than one month of rent from the landlord.
1. so we can at least agree on that. it is important for OP to follow up with the landlord, like hey what's up. any sane landlord would have given a heads up better than sending a letter for a 50% rent increase. we're missing something here that OP isn't telling us.
2. playing the law fairly is one thing, abusing it is another, it is best for both party to not go that route
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2009
3623 posts
1341 upvotes
Toronto
mingyang wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 9:13 pm
1. so we can at least agree on that. it is important for OP to follow up with the landlord, like hey what's up. any sane landlord would have given a heads up better than sending a letter for a 50% rent increase. we're missing siomething here that OP isn't telling us.
2. playing the law fairly is one thing, abusing it is another, it is best for both party to not go that route
I think landlord started it, but I always talk to people before you start the fight with them.

Just keep in mind, landlord is the one provoking it in this case.

The landlord should have negotiate the increase instead of pulling crap like this one.
Last edited by Ceryx on Oct 12th, 2017 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2011
3065 posts
257 upvotes
GTA
Ceryx wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 9:12 pm
LOL. If the tenant really wants to stay, he wouldn't come up here asking for rent increase being reasonable. He would suck it up and pay for it.

The tenant has he leverage when he is not afraid to move. That's when landlord loses all leverage because tenant has nothing to lose but move.

Landlord is the one with risks about getting a good tenant at proper rate after losing one month of tent and a year of no rental income.

And tenant can be pissed off by destroying his property.

If the tenant doesn't want to move, like myself this year, I wouldn't mind to negotiate for rent increase. But if my landlord tried rent increase more than guild line next year, I will surely find a new place and make sure landlord paid his share of premium for doing so.
"a year of no rental income", show me where on LTB site you see that.

Then you agreed with negotiation, because you did. That's acting like adult.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2009
3623 posts
1341 upvotes
Toronto
LongLiveRFD wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 9:15 pm

I guess you have to make sure the tenant don't see your ad in kijiji or mlb or airbnb or you will definitely be made as example.
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2011
3065 posts
257 upvotes
GTA
Ceryx wrote:

The landlord should have negotiate the increase instead of pulling crap like this one.
I agree that move is crap, but in negotiation there's proper way to deal with crap.
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2011
3065 posts
257 upvotes
GTA
Ceryx wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 9:18 pm
I guess you have to make sure the tenant don't see your ad in kijiji or mlb or airbnb or you will definitely be made as example.
Nope. Yo are as mistaken as Piro21.

Pls read the LTB rules before you make further claims misleading others.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2009
3623 posts
1341 upvotes
Toronto
LongLiveRFD wrote:

I never said no negotiation but there is no incentive to do that until the ltb smash the landlord first to understand his place.

But I checked with him to make sure he is not just ill-informed before I take him to ltb.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2009
3623 posts
1341 upvotes
Toronto
LongLiveRFD wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 9:19 pm
Nope. Yo are as mistaken as Piro21.

Pls read the LTB rules before you make further claims misleading others.
Would love to see how you get around with personal use.