Tags:
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2011
3065 posts
257 upvotes
GTA
Ceryx wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 9:19 pm
I never said no negotiation but there is no incentive to do that until the ltb smash the landlord first to understand his place.

But I checked with him to make sure he is not just ill-informed before I take him to ltb.
You don't know the law nor each person's individual circumstances so please stop advising others.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2009
3623 posts
1341 upvotes
Toronto
LongLiveRFD wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 9:18 pm
I agree that move is crap, but in negotiation there's proper way to deal with crap.
Sure, but I prefer to let landlord to understand his place in the law before I started it.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2009
3623 posts
1341 upvotes
Toronto
LongLiveRFD wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 9:21 pm
You don't know the law nor each person's individual circumstances so please stop advising others.
Coming from you, I take that as a compliment.

The irony is on you.
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2011
3065 posts
257 upvotes
GTA
Ceryx wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 9:21 pm
Sure, but I prefer to let landlord to understand his place in the law before I started it.
Then you already begun a dispute. With that mindset and in civilized societies, you are magnet for conflicts.

Good luck with your future dwelling endeavors.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2009
3623 posts
1341 upvotes
Toronto
LongLiveRFD wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 9:26 pm
Then you already begun a dispute. With that mindset and in civilized societies, you are magnet for conflicts.

Good luck with your future dwelling endeavors.
On the contrary, I find it effective to deal with bully through conflict.

If my landlord reached out to me with informed me the circumstance, I would never take him to ltb. The relationship is two way.

The landlord kind of ruined it with the starting points 50% increase. To me, that relationship is ruined and the only thing I get out of it will be financial side of things.
Jun 15, 2017
263 posts
118 upvotes
Ceryx wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 9:28 pm
On the contrary, I find it effective to deal with bully through conflict.

If my landlord reached out to me with informed me the circumstance, I would never take him to ltb. The relationship is two way.

The landlord kind of ruined it with the starting points 50% increase. To me, that relationship is ruined and the only thing I get out of it will be financial side of things.
So you think, this landlord kept quiet for 5 years with no incrase bu suddenly sent form to increase with out discussing with tenant?
Is that assumption? I dont think OP said it clearly what happened before as he said he dont want to reveal much
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2008
4390 posts
638 upvotes
blitzforce wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 4:24 pm
The landlord messed up. Should've increased when he/she had the chance before all these new legislations protecting the tenants.
I bet the landlord is kicking him or herself now. But the narrative before was that landlords are money-grubbing bastards that raise rents 50% each year. I'm in a similar situation in the sense that I do not raise rent every year and a few months after I raised the rent ever so slighgly, the new rules started. So I'm getting maybe 1-200 less.

The landlord shouldn't have waited THAT long and now they're screwed because they can't raise it 50%
Oct 8, 2017
12 posts
3 upvotes
Wow, 110 replies in 7 hours. That must be a record.

And sooo many helpful replies from soooo many people who have been here from recently to so many years ago, and they all want to help and comment on this topic. Wow! Can you believe so many people want to help, it's awesome!!!

Since they are so helpful I saved this whole thread and am looking at all these users and connecting the dots between them all to see who I can turn to if I need advice on this type of topic in the future.

This is so much fun. Let's keep helping people.
Dec 13, 2016
941 posts
728 upvotes
I am reading these replies and wondering what a hell is wrong with people defending the landlord.

Just imagine if you signed a contract with bell and they decided to raise their prices by 50%. RFD would crash.

A contract is a contract. Landlord is not allowed to raise the rent by 50%. Period.

If the tenant was getting the rent below market rate, this is irrelevant.

I don't like the Ontario Liberals and their Nazi rules, but they are still rules and we should abide by them or otherwise it would be anarchy.

My tenant is also getting my unit well below the market rate. I never raised it because he never complains and always pays on time. In Ontario a bad tenant can cost you more than $300 extra a month in rent. I would never even think of raising rent by 50%. If I had to raise it over the minimum as a landlord would sent a polite letter stating the new circumstance and negotiate something.

It is quite hilarious to read all these RFD members calling this tenant whiny while they are bankrupting Sears by taking advantage of price errors.

Disgusting really.
Oct 8, 2017
12 posts
3 upvotes
I have been reading here and taking notes.

Beige didn't you claim you are in Thailand? Are you really there?

I have been there many times.

What is your experience with rent increase ins LOS? I would like to compare them with what I experienced.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2009
3623 posts
1341 upvotes
Toronto
BiegeToyota wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 10:06 pm
I am reading these replies and wondering what a hell is wrong with people defending the landlord.

Just imagine if you signed a contract with bell and they decided to raise their prices by 50%. RFD would crash.

A contract is a contract. Landlord is not allowed to raise the rent by 50%. Period.

It is quite hilarious to read all these RFD members calling this tenant whiny while they are bankrupting Sears by taking advantage of price errors.

Disgusting really.
This is probably the best analogy in the whole thread.

LOL.
Oct 8, 2017
12 posts
3 upvotes
HanSin wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 10:09 pm

What is your experience with rent increase ins LOS? I would like to compare them with what I experienced.
Very interested in your answer and waiting. Please help us out. I"m very experienced there and might want to return.

1. Where are you renting?

2. At what rate?

3. How have the increases been the past few years?

4. Can you recommend your place?

5. Can you provide your rental owners email so I can talk to him?

Thanks sooo much for my In Thailand friend.
Dec 13, 2016
941 posts
728 upvotes
HanSin wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 10:09 pm

Yes. No rent control here.... but rent to buy ratios are ridiculous.

You can rent a million dollar house here for thousand bucks.
Mar 6, 2017
10 posts
6 upvotes
Hmmm i will try to be the voice of reason here ....

Half you seem to be saying F*** the soft landlord he deserves getting nailed for being dumb, you get 2% or nothing.
The other half thinks it's okay to slap someone with 50% hike because it's the market rate....

Before getting down to business a 50% hike all of the sudden might make life difficult for a tenant even if it is the market rate, when it's done gradually people have time to plan things out not to mention it's against the law.
At the same time give the guy a break, not only are you currently paying below market rate but have been for past few years, he is not a monster.

If the status quo is maintained you will be fine, the landlord loses out on a lot of rent.
If you are evicted you will have to pay around 500 more a month and he loses 12000 a year and a month of rent at the least.

If it gets to the point where you know he is taking the eviction route..... DO NOT TAKE IT PERSONALLY AND BLEED EACH OTHER.......

Try to get 6-10 months rent as compensation and move out. At the minimum of 6 months thats 6k for you and if he rents it out at 500 higher he will recoup that 6k in a year.

I as the landlord would definitely take the eviction route given the information you provided UNDERSTAND that in that scenario you do not win try to make the loss less financially bitter. You were lucky and paid a very good price possibly at the detriment of a dumb landlord.
Oct 8, 2017
12 posts
3 upvotes
auxcord wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 10:24 pm
Hmmm i will try to be the voice of reason here ....

Half you seem to be saying F*** the soft landlord he deserves getting nailed for being dumb, you get 2% or nothing.
The other half thinks it's okay to slap someone with 50% hike because it's the market rate....

Before getting down to business a 50% hike all of the sudden might make life difficult for a tenant even if it is the market rate, when it's done gradually people have time to plan things out not to mention it's against the law.
At the same time give the guy a break, not only are you currently paying below market rate but have been for past few years, he is not a monster.

If the status quo is maintained you will be fine, the landlord loses out on a lot of rent.
If you are evicted you will have to pay around 500 more a month and he loses 12000 a year and a month of rent at the least.

If it gets to the point where you know he is taking the eviction route..... DO NOT TAKE IT PERSONALLY AND BLEED EACH OTHER.......

Try to get 6-10 months rent as compensation and move out. At the minimum of 6 months thats 6k for you and if he rents it out at 500 higher he will recoup that 6k in a year.

I as the landlord would definitely take the eviction route given the information you provided UNDERSTAND that in that scenario you do not win try to make the loss less financially bitter. You were lucky and paid a very good price possibly at the detriment of a dumb landlord.
Good post.

And so fast, thanks.

Connecting the dots and going to add you to the big network/database of Usernames

Might need your advice later on so THANKS IN ADVANCE.