May 28, 2006
2389 posts
181 upvotes
shove the lease in his face with parking included highlighted in fusia pink
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2004
1582 posts
35 upvotes
If you're prepared to play hardball, and recognizing that you might not necessarily end up in the legal "right" by doing this, I would...

a) do my research and find the cheapest reasonable option for parking in your area. Since you're in an apartment, hopefully stalls are for rent in your option?
b) document your research showing that your option is the cheapest option
c) rent that stall
d) deduct the cost of the rental from what you pay the landlord every month.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 21, 2007
6054 posts
853 upvotes
Markham
T3NSION wrote: I signed a rental lease for an apartment and it states it includes parking with the agreed rental rate.

Before the move in date, the owner now says there is no parking included.

Any recourse available? I don't want to cancel the lease but I need the parking but it doesn't come cheap
go to landlord tenant board asap...get a deduction in your rent (through the right channels) to compensate for parking, or have the owner arrange to get you a spot

landlords like these give the rest of us a bad name
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2010
1294 posts
329 upvotes
Toronto
Don't try deducting from your rent cheque. The landlord can start an eviction notice against you. Call the landlord and tenant board asap. As the others have stated document everything. If it is in the lease the landlord is at fault. Have you discussed this with him/her.?
Doug Boswell
i
Deal Guru
Oct 24, 2012
11641 posts
2620 upvotes
Montreal
Psycho44 wrote: shove the lease in his face with parking included highlighted in fusia pink
I recommend yellow
Fuchsia pink doesn't photocopy well.
LEARN TO SPELL OH EM JEE!!!
Aug 28, 2013
24 posts
6 upvotes
Winnipeg
I would tell the landlord that you intend to comply with all the terms of the lease, and you're concerned that something you planned for, and need, and are paying for in the price of your rent, is not going to be furnished.

Tell the landlord today that you intend to call the landlord tenant board tomorrow for their advice. You may get what you want right then and there from the landlord.

That would be better than filing with the board, because you've still won, and when little stuff happens during your tenancy where you want a break, you're more likely to get it.
Jun 8, 2012
442 posts
45 upvotes
Toronto
You signed a lease that included a parking spot. If the lease does not include the spot, the landlord is not living up to their end of the deal. You can walk away at this point. I would be a bit concerned that the landlord pulled something like this BEFORE you even moved in. Can you really trust this person? I'd take this as a warning and find another place.

If it was a honest mistake, see what the going rates for parking spots are and get a new lease drawn up with the new terms. (which should be minus the parking spot and cost of parking). Do not let the owner find you a parking spot, just have the agreed amount deduced (lower rental fee). You never know when a cheaper spot may popup.
Aug 29, 2004
952 posts
271 upvotes
Most importantly, have you given him any money? If you haven't and are prepared to walk away, tell him you will do so. He can't come after you for a substantial breach if there is a substantial breach on his end.

Be well prepared for him to tell you to pound sand and rent the place at the same rate to someone else who doesn't need parking. I wouldn't start involving the tenant board ahead of even moving in unless you want your tenancy to be a nightmare. Find a place with an honest landlord who treats you with at the least the same level of respect he expects you to treat his property with.
Deal Guru
Nov 30, 2009
12178 posts
603 upvotes
Toronto
Already off to a bad start? Depending on how badly you need the place, I would leave.
[QUOTE]I wish there was a way to know you're in the good old days before you've actually left them.[/QUOTE] ~Andy Bernard, The Office (U.S.)
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2003
9923 posts
1665 upvotes
I would leave. Doesn't look like things will work out if he's this shady already. I hope you get your deposit back.
One blind human - a tragedy
Ten blind humans - a disaster
One million blind humans - a statistic