Personal Finance

Renting room (shares kitchen/bathroom), lease referrers to RTA. Precendence?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 19th, 2018 1:45 pm
[OP]
Jan 29, 2018
18 posts
3 upvotes

Renting room (shares kitchen/bathroom), lease referrers to RTA. Precendence?

Hi,
I'm renting a room and sharing kitchen and bathroom with the landlord.
Usually, this would mean that I would have very limited rights as a lessee, but my tenancy agreement states that it is "made pursuant to the provisions of the residential tenancies act, S.O 2006, Chap 17"

Does this mean that I have the same rights as a normal tenant? The contract refers to the RTA throughout and stipulates a notice period of 60 days. I've lived there long enough to be on a month-by-month lease.
3 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
40351 posts
4188 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
mebbemovingtovan wrote:
Feb 19th, 2018 12:08 pm
Hi,
I'm renting a room and sharing kitchen and bathroom with the landlord.
Usually, this would mean that I would have very limited rights as a lessee, but my tenancy agreement states that it is "made pursuant to the provisions of the residential tenancies act, S.O 2006, Chap 17"

Does this mean that I have the same rights as a normal tenant? The contract refers to the RTA throughout and stipulates a notice period of 60 days. I've lived there long enough to be on a month-by-month lease.
Nah... If push comes to shove, it follows the rental contract and rooming act/bylaws in your city. Not the same as RTA. But I think its actually a good sign.
It means they at least recognize that tenant has some rights, even if the RTA isn't he right act to quote.

https://www.legalline.ca/legal-answers/ ... nt-a-room/

Make sure the terms of the agreement look okay. E.g. What happens if you want to move. Or what happens if THEY want you to move. A few months notice for stuff like that is good. That way you can hold it against them if they try to kick you out.

Just trying to be optimistic here. I guess the bigger picture is that the landlord is reasonable in their request, respects your privacy, maintains the property. and in return rent gets paid on time and you treat the place with respect.. Everyone is happy right.
Jul 9, 2016
664 posts
265 upvotes
Toronto
Yeah I agree with previous poster.
The act specifically excludes this type of living arrangement from being governed by the act. And quoting the act doesn't mean it's enforceable.