• Feb 24th, 2012 1:15 pm
Tags:
None
Apr 22, 2009
653 posts
53 upvotes
Manitoulin

Repainting bathroom

So I noticed the paint was peeling in the bathroom. This was due to (I think) no bathroom exhaust fan causing high humidity in bathroom.

Since then a bathroom exhaust fan has been installed.

Next week is time to paint. But I need to remove the other paint. Anyone know the best/easiest way to remove old paint?

Also can anyone recommend some good bathroom paint?
7 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
6110 posts
1117 upvotes
Mississauga
Yes high humidity is most likely the reason. I had the same problem but it was only in the shower/tub ceiling area and since the bathroom had a window which I didn't want to open in the winter, I still didn't want to add a fan since it only created an extra air leakage area which my eco energy auditor told me to try to avoid.

My solution when I redid the bathroom was to install a waterproof membrane in the shower/tub area as well as install ceiling tile with a full glass shower door enclosure and I know I can't have any problems from then on.

As for paint recommendation I used Benjamin Moore paint specifically for bathrooms but it's personal preference since some people like Behr, Para so it's to each there own. Sort of like asking if you like Honda over Toyota.

As for the peeling paint, go over it with maybe 140 grit sandpaper to a smooth and even finish then down maybe 240 to get out the rough sand lines. If you need to go finer sandpaper then by all means. Any bare areas should be primed first.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
7368 posts
4672 upvotes
Between Countries
I don't see any reason to remove the old paint. Just scrape off, sand, and prime the areas that are peeling. Leave the good areas alone, perhaps going over them lightly with sandpaper.
Apr 22, 2009
653 posts
53 upvotes
Manitoulin
Okay. Thanks for the suggestions!
Apr 22, 2009
653 posts
53 upvotes
Manitoulin
How lOng should i let the bathroom dry before I start work on it?
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
13194 posts
7650 upvotes
Kanata
sourkeys wrote: How lOng should i let the bathroom dry before I start work on it?

Do you mean how long after someone has taken a shower should you wait? That's a tough question to answer given we don't know how humid your bathroom would be after a typical shower. I'd say 30-45min at least with the fan running. You want the walls dry as possible to allow for the primer to adhere the best.
Apr 22, 2009
653 posts
53 upvotes
Manitoulin
Okay so leaving it for a day before I even begin any work on it should be fine. (would still have to peel off some of the old paint.).
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
6110 posts
1117 upvotes
Mississauga
Sourkeys:

I'm not sure who installed the bathroom fan but I would make sure it's air sealed where it enters either the attic and or any outdoor area.

Good luck with your painting.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)