• Jun 7th, 2012 11:46 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jul 3, 2009
230 posts
28 upvotes

repair nail in tire - 2011 ford explorer

where should I go for repairing nail in tire for my 2011 ford explorer?

Should I go to dealer, or any other shop to recommend ?

I work in Brampton , but live in Vaughan.

Any advice?
12 replies
Apr 21, 2011
51 posts
4 upvotes
NORTH YORK
If the nail is in the sidewall of the tire you need a new tire. If it's in the tread you can buy a tire repair kit at Canadian Tire or Walmart and do it yourself. Last I saw the kit was $9.99.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2002
2408 posts
261 upvotes
Ajax
For safety it has to be repaired properly. Canadian Tire for about 30 bucks or any tire shop that can do it as long as it is in the tread area. Don't use the patch kit as mentioned above it is only a quick fix. Make sure they do the off the rim patch from the inside.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2003
5723 posts
173 upvotes
Toronto
Don't use the patch kit as mentioned above it is only a quick fix. Make sure they do the off the rim patch from the inside.
Put much more nicely than I would have said it. The last thing you want is the patch blow out at 120KPH
--------------------------------------------------------------

"Any more irrelevant comments to pull out of your ***** ?"
"Your comments seem to be r ectal plucks." Pete_Coach

HEATWARE.... if you bought from me ... thanks
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
11198 posts
1419 upvotes
Kal tire fixes them for free. Any good tire shop can patch for about $25. Avoid CT
[OP]
Jul 3, 2009
230 posts
28 upvotes
thanks guys!

So if the tire needs to be taken off the rim, it needs to be rebalanced right ?

If that's the case, I will choose between dealer and reputable tire shop.

So should I go to Ford dealer or Kal tire? Does Kal tire use good balance machine or they do a good job repairing tires?

How much would dealer usually charge ?
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2007
2277 posts
797 upvotes
Canadian tire does it for $30? Thats a rip-off I had the nail in my Infiniti repaired at the Infiniti dealership for $15.
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2006
1223 posts
56 upvotes
Mississauga
anhtuan wrote:
Jun 7th, 2012 12:17 am
Canadian tire does it for $30? Thats a rip-off I had the nail in my Infiniti repaired at the Infiniti dealership for $15.
Was it a plug and patch? Was the tire taken off the rim? Was the wheel re-balanced? Was it part of a warranty package?

I ask these questions because thats a great price.
Deal Guru
Sep 10, 2009
10900 posts
394 upvotes
GT&A
kaltire for free tire repair.

395 Creditstone Rd, Vaughan, ON

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/nail-scr ... el-936858/

now click that 'thanks' button..............

:D
troll: someone you dislike, fear or do not comprehend...
11b guide
When the doorbell rings, it's just a request. You are not a dog, it is not a command, only a request. You are not in church, you are at home. No guilt.
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2007
2277 posts
797 upvotes
Scott84 wrote:
Jun 7th, 2012 12:19 am
Was it a plug and patch? Was the tire taken off the rim? Was the wheel re-balanced? Was it part of a warranty package?

I ask these questions because thats a great price.

Didn't know what they did exactly, but the tire was taken off, not sure if it was re-balanced maybe the price was lower because I had to get a tire rotation as well. Wasn't part of any warranty package.
[OP]
Jul 3, 2009
230 posts
28 upvotes
Ok, I went to dealer near work this morning. They claims plug is safe and asked for $30 for it.

I wanted them to do patch/plug and they asked for $50. I know it's expensive, but since I am already there, I agreed.

Then they come back and showed me a big nail, they said they have done the path/plug and still leaking, so I have to get a new tire.

They quoted $275 for one tire - Goodyear Fortera HL Edition.

I checked on CanadianTire, it's about the same price, but Discounttire in US is only selling $120, and Tirerack sells for $140.

The dealer and canadian tire retailers are just too greedy !!!
Deal Guru
Sep 10, 2009
10900 posts
394 upvotes
GT&A
^^^ kaltire?
troll: someone you dislike, fear or do not comprehend...
11b guide
When the doorbell rings, it's just a request. You are not a dog, it is not a command, only a request. You are not in church, you are at home. No guilt.
[OP]
Jul 3, 2009
230 posts
28 upvotes
longitude wrote:
Jun 7th, 2012 11:38 am
^^^ kaltire?

I checked on Kaltire website, they don't have the exact model/brand for my explorer.

But I checked on other model, it seems Kaltire is still almost $100 more expensive per tire than TireRack.

so to me, they aren't that better than dealer.

TireRack
BFGoodrich Long Trail T/A Tour - $148
Michelin Latitude Tour - $190

Kaltire
B.F.Goodrich Long Trail™ T/A® TOUR - $243
Michelin Latitude® Tour - $272
× < >