• Last Updated:
  • Dec 5th, 2018 5:17 pm
[OP]
Sep 26, 2017
19 posts
3 upvotes

Repair or replace laptop

So my 6 year old laptop seems to have crapped out on me. I took it to a local repair shop and it sounds like I need a new hard drive. The guy says he can fix it for $150 plus tax for parts and labour. In the meantime I went ahead and bought a new one on Black Friday for $499. Just wondering if I should keep the new one or return it and fix the old one. Here are the specs:

Old laptop:

2012 Toshiba satellite s855d
AMD10
Windows 7
8GB ram
750 gb hard drive
Windows home
Battery can last about an hour
Cost: $150 to repair

New laptop:
Acer aspire
AMD12
Windows 10
8gb ram
1TB hard drive

https://www.thesource.ca/en-ca/computer ... /108078982

Would need to add windows home or use free version
Cost: $499

I don’t do anything crazy on my computer, just streaming and regular stuff (no gaming), and the laptop was working fine til this hard drive crash, so I’m just not sure if it’s worth fixing it and hoping nothing else breaks soon, or just paying the extra and getting a new one.

Any advice?
26 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2015
1018 posts
220 upvotes
Antarctica
For $499 this is better with FHD display and a 2500:

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/ac ... 49612.aspx?

As for fixing the old one. A 1 TB HDD comes for much cheaper (bestbuy and staples have some laptop HDDs for $65-75...you can go even cheaper online probably). And all you need to do is reinstall windows and your programs and data. Very easy DIY.

Unless for $150 they are also gonna recover your data from a busted HDD, why bother.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
9334 posts
3375 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
If you are going to fix the old one, I would put in one of the many cheap SSD deals out there (get an 500-GB SSD for under $100) and DIY (or get a buddy to do it for a few beers) the install. You'll get an instant performance pop from the standard mechanical drives and since you only do streaming and surfing, you'll be just fine.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
1301 posts
277 upvotes
Toronto
As others have said, it's only worth it if you can find a friend or family member to do it for you. I would go with an SSD drive. $100 + tax (approx, depends on the current sale and what brand you buy) for a 500GB drive and maybe some food or something because it will take some time. So, it'll be close to the $150 that you were quoted depending on what food you buy.

The laptop is still usable. If you don't have a use for it maybe you can just give it to somebody letting them know that they need to install a new drive. You might be able to find a battery off of eBay or Amazon for like $40. Don't expect these batteries to run like the original but it should be pretty close.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Jan 16, 2005
687 posts
197 upvotes
Go DIY route with SSD. Learn a little along the way. Find tear down video for your model on YouTube. With the Ssd the old one will be faster. Did this last night and had windows 10 completely updated 1.5 hours later while I watched the game.

240 GB a data SU650 $45 on amazon free delivery.

Install LibreOffice vs MS Office for free. Change the save options to docx xlsx pptx under general options.
Last edited by FrozenPegger on Nov 26th, 2018 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 1, 2003
1609 posts
100 upvotes
Scarborough
As mentioned above a 1TB hard drive is ~$70, so you're paying $80 for labor. Seems a bit steep for what boils down to plugging in the drive and installing Windows.

If you're going the new laptop route I'd go with what Crichtonfan said and pick up the laptop he linked, and return the one you got. Most of the specs are the same but the CPU and GPU are both much faster.
Ever wanted to shoot guns legally? See here: ever-wanted-shoot-guns-legally-next-sat ... n-1185701/
Public Mobile $8/month plan
[OP]
Sep 26, 2017
19 posts
3 upvotes
Thanks for all the responses.

I’m open to trying to replace the hard drive myself (and trying to track down a copy of windows somehow), but at what point would you think it’s no longer with trying to fix it, year wise? 7, 8 years? I know it’s impossible to predict when stuff will break down, so at what age would you think it’s not worth fixing when stuff like this happens?
[OP]
Sep 26, 2017
19 posts
3 upvotes
Also can anyone recommend a SSD that would fit the Toshiba satellite laptop? Sorry for all the questions, I’m just really out of my element here.
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
21388 posts
2248 upvotes
$150 for what size hard drive?

Do you know how to reinstall the os?
[OP]
Sep 26, 2017
19 posts
3 upvotes
george__ wrote:
Nov 26th, 2018 3:27 pm
$150 for what size hard drive?

Do you know how to reinstall the os?
I think he mentioned it would be a 500GB hard drive

I don’t know how to reinstall the OS, but I’m willing to learn. Is it something i could watch an online tutorial for (assuming I find my windows disks)?
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
1301 posts
277 upvotes
Toronto
Landron wrote:
Nov 26th, 2018 3:18 pm
Also can anyone recommend a SSD that would fit the Toshiba satellite laptop? Sorry for all the questions, I’m just really out of my element here.
A 2.5" drive (I put a link to one below) made for laptops should fit. But I would suggest to open up the bottom panel to double check. There is usually about 4 to 6 small screws holding the bottom panel on. Unscrew those and slowly pop off the bottom panel. There are usually clips holding the panels on.

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.a ... 6820250087

People have said you could buy a Windows 10 license key from eBay for like $9. I think people have said it takes about 2 days before you'll receive the email with the product key. You can download Windows 10 from Microsoft using the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool. For some reason I can't find the tool on Microsoft's website. I have no idea if they took it down because of all the issues with the latest update.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Deal Addict
Mar 1, 2003
1609 posts
100 upvotes
Scarborough
Landron wrote:
Nov 26th, 2018 2:41 pm

I’m open to trying to replace the hard drive myself (and trying to track down a copy of windows somehow), but at what point would you think it’s no longer with trying to fix it, year wise? 7, 8 years? I know it’s impossible to predict when stuff will break down, so at what age would you think it’s not worth fixing when stuff like this happens?
It depends a lot on your needs, and what you're willing to put up with. If your needs are basic, you could get away with using a 7 year old computer just fine. Especially if you're replacing a hard drive with an SSD, which will literally make your old computer feel new again.
Ever wanted to shoot guns legally? See here: ever-wanted-shoot-guns-legally-next-sat ... n-1185701/
Public Mobile $8/month plan
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
9334 posts
3375 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Landron wrote:
Nov 26th, 2018 2:41 pm

Don't necessarily put it down to age as any newer units break down all of the time and what typically breaks are the moving parts (ie mechanical hard drive, cooling fans). If you have had 5 years of good use without any issues other than this hard drive, then realistically, unless the CPU fan breaks, all of the major moving parts would have been accounted for. Speaking of cooling fans, you might want to as you are taking apart the laptop anyways, clean out the dust that has been sucked into the laptop over these past 5 years. If you are adventurous, replace the CPU fan while you are there.

As for what age? It really depends on what broke and how much it will take to repair it. As long as the laptop will still serve your purpose (ie surf the net effectively), why put out more money if in reality those additional features aren't going to get you anything.