Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
9334 posts
3375 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Landron wrote:
Nov 26th, 2018 3:45 pm
I think he mentioned it would be a 500GB hard drive

I don’t know how to reinstall the OS, but I’m willing to learn. Is it something i could watch an online tutorial for (assuming I find my windows disks)?
If you can find the original Windows disk that came with your laptop, then the installation is dead simple as the disk are probably 'recovery' disk and NOT installation disk.

What's the difference?

A recovery disk is built for that laptop. It has all of the necessary drivers and software to bring your laptop operating system to the same condition as when you bought it years ago. You will need to install any updates but that's generally it. As for how you do it, typically, you insert the disk, tell the laptop to boot from the disk, answer a few basic questions (ie are you sure you want to do this? And maybe the Windows key from the sticker on your laptop), and then let it load. Should take less than an hour (probably less than 15 minutes). Once it's done, connect to the internet and start downloading updates.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
9334 posts
3375 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
tritium4ever wrote:
Nov 26th, 2018 6:36 pm
It depends a lot on your needs, and what you're willing to put up with. If your needs are basic, you could get away with using a 7 year old computer just fine. Especially if you're replacing a hard drive with an SSD, which will literally make your old computer feel new again.
I would say better than new.
Deal Addict
Mar 1, 2003
1609 posts
100 upvotes
Scarborough
craftsman wrote:
Nov 26th, 2018 6:49 pm
I would say better than new.
Agreed. It's crazy how upgrading from a hard drive to an SSD completely changes your computing experience. Once you start using an SSD on a daily basis you'll wonder how you ever got along without one.

For me, I wouldn't even consider building or buying a new computer without an SSD unless the budget is ridiculously tight. I'd be willing to cut corners on virtually everything except that.
Ever wanted to shoot guns legally? See here: ever-wanted-shoot-guns-legally-next-sat ... n-1185701/
Public Mobile $8/month plan
[OP]
Sep 26, 2017
19 posts
3 upvotes
Thanks for all the help, I might just try this out. First I gotta see if I can all my recovery disks.
Feb 25, 2015
942 posts
301 upvotes
York Region
As most have said, SSD drive will make a massive difference. Try it out first. If you can't do it, buy an
SSD drive and give it to that repair shop to install.
Deal Addict
May 17, 2005
4449 posts
606 upvotes
Landron wrote:
Nov 26th, 2018 10:12 pm
Thanks for all the help, I might just try this out. First I gotta see if I can all my recovery disks.
I would get a cheap ssd (120GB for a $30 ~ 40) and put windows 10 , you can run it without "activation" for a long time (maybe forever) - but 1st check the Toshiba-web for bios/drivers updates etc.
Mar 26, 2008
311 posts
55 upvotes
if you are just surfing the internet then you don't need a 1tb hard drive. a cheap 128gb SSD would do the trick (around 40$). a little knowledge goes a long way. 150$ just to swap a hard drive is steep as someone else has mentioned here.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2010
2722 posts
2050 upvotes
Markham
Here is Toshiba's video to replace the HD of a Toshiba laptop by another HD.
The procedure is very much the same to replace a HD by a new SSD.

Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
6876 posts
693 upvotes
Toronto
Landron wrote:
Nov 26th, 2018 2:41 pm

... but at what point would you think it’s no longer with trying to fix it, year wise? 7, 8 years? ...
The answer to that is when it no longer meets your needs.

I've got a couple of really old laptops (>10 years old) that are fine for browsing, email, etc. Some I've "upgraded" with more RAM and SSD. For home use, it's a games requirement or stuttering video that will probably require you to buy new (-er)!
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2009
14606 posts
5802 upvotes
OP replacing the hard drive is literally a two minute job. And you can get a 500gb SSD for something silly like $75. It's the cloning process that's trickier if you need to do that. Otherwise you can simply back up all your documents and files to an external USB drive and then just re-install Windows 10 if that's what you were using. Windows 10 typically "remembers" your PC. You don't need to worry about the CD key AFAIK.

Put a USB flash drive into your computer then click this link:

https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=691209

It should take all of 10-15 minutes to get Windows 10 on there.
I am a Public Mobile customer.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
9334 posts
3375 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
SickBeast wrote:
Nov 27th, 2018 7:50 pm
OP replacing the hard drive is literally a two minute job. And you can get a 500gb SSD for something silly like $75. It's the cloning process that's trickier if you need to do that. Otherwise you can simply back up all your documents and files to an external USB drive and then just re-install Windows 10 if that's what you were using. Windows 10 typically "remembers" your PC. You don't need to worry about the CD key AFAIK.

Put a USB flash drive into your computer then click this link:

https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=691209

It should take all of 10-15 minutes to get Windows 10 on there.
The OP's original hard drive crashed so there's literally nothing to clone or restore.
Jan 16, 2005
687 posts
197 upvotes
Use the Windows 7 key from the label to activate. My daughter just did that for a friends upgrade from a Win7 HDD to Win 10 SSD.