• Oct 9th, 2019 10:51 am
Tags:
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
7467 posts
4051 upvotes
Montreal

Repairing bent alloy wheel?

Hit a major pothole last week. Visited 3 different shops in the past 5 days... a garage immediately after hitting the pothole, guy told me no damage, charged me 33 bucks for a 15min test drive and visual check. lol
Then Saturday morning I noticed air leak, so went to Costco to repair the tire. Still noticed a vibration as soon as I hit highway speed, so I went to another Costco and guy told me the rim is bent. He said he did what he could to straighten it, and moved it to the back of the car. Still noticing some vibration, it's a slight vibration but still drives me nut because I know there's a problem with the wheel. Gonna head to a shop that is specialized in wheels at the end of the week. I heard steel wheels are easier to repair, but not alloy ones, is that true? There is no visible cracks, was told it's only bent. Is it also true that a repaired rim will be weaker and are more prone to get bent again over time?
15 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2015
1172 posts
1626 upvotes
90.00° N, 135.00° W
Try tire balancing first it might do the trick!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
7467 posts
4051 upvotes
Montreal
CuriousJack wrote: Try tire balancing first it might do the trick!
The guy at Costco spent like 30min+ trying to rebalance that one wheel. It was probably re-balanced the second time I went there to have the wheel straightened.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
7467 posts
4051 upvotes
Montreal
booblehead wrote: perhaps, just get a new one
ouch, it's an OEM Ford, $500+, gonna have to try searching kijiji if I decide to buy a new one .
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
33237 posts
21168 upvotes
Toronto
fixing a bent rim is about $125 + rebalancing for another $40. That's $165 ball park.

maybe check salvage yard too
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2015
1172 posts
1626 upvotes
90.00° N, 135.00° W
looks like you hit a manhole not a pothole...try marketplace too.
Madevilz wrote: The guy at Costco spent like 30min+ trying to rebalance that one wheel. It was probably re-balanced the second time I went there to have the wheel straightened.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
7467 posts
4051 upvotes
Montreal
booblehead wrote: fixing a bent rim is about $125 + rebalancing for another $40. That's $165 ball park.

maybe check salvage yard too
hopefully the government accepts my claim lol
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4695 posts
4968 upvotes
GTA
Madevilz wrote: The guy at Costco spent like 30min+ trying to rebalance that one wheel. It was probably re-balanced the second time I went there to have the wheel straightened.
Are you sure that Costco even has the means to straighten wheels? The one I worked at surely didn't. I doubt that's a service the company would even offer: too much liability.

I would suggest replacing the wheel with either a new one, or one from the junkyard.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
7579 posts
5272 upvotes
Toronto
You could have damaged the suspension or the steering rack if you are still feeling the vibration and damaged rim is on rear.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
7467 posts
4051 upvotes
Montreal
peteryorkuca wrote: You could have damaged the suspension or the steering rack if you are still feeling the vibration and damaged rim is on rear.
Well I did pay that first shop to inspect if there is any damaged parts and he said all is good. The two other places also looked at it, and the last one only mentionned bent rim, so I really hope I didn't pay that first mechanic for nothing. Crying Face
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
7467 posts
4051 upvotes
Montreal
peteryorkuca wrote: You could have damaged the suspension or the steering rack if you are still feeling the vibration and damaged rim is on rear.
The more I drive, the more I think are right. The vibration is still present and I feel the steering to be very stiff, especially on the highway. Could this be the steering rack? I will have it checked by the dealer I bought the car from. It is still under legal warranty (bought it used, still 1000km left), wonder if they will cover it.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
7579 posts
5272 upvotes
Toronto
Madevilz wrote: The more I drive, the more I think are right. The vibration is still present and I feel the steering to be very stiff, especially on the highway. Could this be the steering rack? I will have it checked by the dealer I bought the car from. It is still under legal warranty (bought it used, still 1000km left), wonder if they will cover it.
If you are doing that, be sure to leave no evidence that you have a bent rim in the front.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)