Cell Phones

Replace iPhone but keep Grandfathered Bell Plan?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 14th, 2017 6:33 pm
[OP]
Aug 22, 2009
381 posts
37 upvotes

Replace iPhone but keep Grandfathered Bell Plan?

Hi Everyone!

I have been off contract on month-to-month with a grandfathered Bell plan for a year now. I really want to keep my plan because it has REALLY cheap data. I know that if I upgrade my iPhone through Bell then they will require me to change to one of their newer (and much crappier plans). I am OK with paying full price for a new iPhone if that's what it requires. If I buy a new phone outright through Apple do I even need to tell Bell, or can I jsut swap the SIM cards and continue with my current month-to-month plan?

Thanks!
8 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25373 posts
2741 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
No need to tell Bell anything

Just put the SIM card in and enjoy your new phone
[OP]
Aug 22, 2009
381 posts
37 upvotes
Thanks. Is there any advantage/disadvantage to buying a phone outright (i.e. not on a plan) through Apple, Bell, or some other retailer?
Dec 4, 2008
495 posts
52 upvotes
Montreal
I'd just buy the phone from Apple directly.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2013
3611 posts
603 upvotes
Brampton ON
Just buy new iPhone and take off the sim from the old phone and insert it in the new phone.
As-salamu alaykum
Freedom Mobile $21 10gb
BYOP ( Plan * 24months + Phone )
Contract ( Plan * 24months - Phone - GC )

Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
19261 posts
1428 upvotes
Ditto what others said....keep your sweet grandfathered plan and buy your iphone outright from Apple.

Advantage buying from Apple direct is you don't have to deal with any carrier locked iphones (if they are still selling them)...and I don't think you save any $$ buying from the carrier.

Just get it direct from Apple....

In terms of sim card, depends on what current phone you have. If you need to switch to a nano sim...buy an unactivated Bell sim from fleabay (should be like a $1-$2) and activate the sim online via Bell.

Bell will charge you $10 + taxes for the sim and if you do the switch via telephone, there is a service charge for that too
Aug 22, 2017
231 posts
71 upvotes
ji2o0k wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 12:20 pm
Ditto what others said....keep your sweet grandfathered plan and buy your iphone outright from Apple.

Advantage buying from Apple direct is you don't have to deal with any carrier locked iphones (if they are still selling them)...and I don't think you save any $$ buying from the carrier.

In terms of sim card, depends on what current phone you have. If you need to switch to a nano sim...buy an unactivated Bell sim from fleabay (should be like a $1-$2) and activate the sim online via Bell.

Bell will charge you $10 + taxes for the sim and if you do the switch via telephone, there is a service charge for that too
..Or just cut your SIM if it is a big one or if it is a MicroSIM. But +1 to everyone who said to buy it outright from Apple, because you get the full 1 yr warranty and legit unlocked phone. With regards to Bhell..They won't let me keep my current plan as well upgrading to an iPhone, so they want me to change my plan to get an iPhone. The rep actually said, "Can you not wait till Black Friday? You will get a better deal then in two weeks." Thanks Bell for letting your customers know you can't do jack shit for them!
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2013
3611 posts
603 upvotes
Brampton ON
ji2o0k wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 12:20 pm

Bell and Virgin incoming phone are unlocked now, no more reprogramming all phone are OTA update.
As-salamu alaykum
Freedom Mobile $21 10gb
BYOP ( Plan * 24months + Phone )
Contract ( Plan * 24months - Phone - GC )

Nov 1, 2009
436 posts
55 upvotes
I'll also add if your buying your phone from apple store, they'll give you one for free.
All you need to do is call Bell to activate it.