• Oct 12th, 2018 1:58 am
Tags:
[OP]
Aug 27, 2014
142 posts
29 upvotes

Replace Poly-B with PEX?

Hello,

My house was built in 1993. The basement was very poorly done by the previous owners and there were mice that damaged the insulation and left a corpse behind so we decided to completely renovate it, and the plumbing is now completely exposed.

From what I can tell, all plumbing is the infamous poly-b. However, from what I read our water (I'm in Quebec specifically) doesn't have much chlorine in it so poly-b isn't a big problem like it is in the states. Besides, PEX is clearly better but doesn't seem perfect - I read about it sometimes being poorly installed, I read it has an average life expectancy of 40-50 years which seems low considering that copper lasts seemingly forever, etc. It's not clear. There's also the lawsuit against a number of manufacturers (https://www.classaction.org/pex-plumbing-lawsuit).

So I'm confused. What are they installing in new houses? Should I go with copper and have a semi-permanent solution?

Side-note, I've read about some people paying extra on their insurance due to having poly-b plumbing. My insurance never asked me what kind of plumbing I had... Is it something I should have known to tell them specifically?

Thanks!
4 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
3531 posts
943 upvotes
Copper certainly does not last forever.

I’d use Uponor
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Jul 8, 2014
109 posts
46 upvotes
AB
2 years ago I passed on a house that had poly b. There are many cases where improper installation also caused issues. Poly B becomes brittle overtime so its hard to predict when or if an issue will arise. I got a quote to replace the lines with Pex and it was like 13K for 2200 sq ft house.
Apr 26, 2013
957 posts
229 upvotes
Toronto
They use it because it's cheaper to install when compared to copper. As mentioned copper doesn't last forever but a good thick walled copper is superiour in my opinion, I always use type L.