• Last Updated:
  • Oct 20th, 2021 8:31 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2003
3042 posts
21 upvotes
Thought I'd throw my own opinion in here - We had 3 basement windows, all awkward sizes, replaced by eurotech 1.5 years ago, and we're happy with them. Their price was average (and to be honest, we chose them due to their availability to install asap at the time) but the service during installation was fast and clean and the product itself still looks and works like new. We haven't had issues post-sale, so I can't comment on after-sales service or warranty service issues.

As for glass itself, my folk's house has a large greenhouse on the front that was built over 20 years ago, and sometimes heavy loads from snow accumulation can crack the large panes of glass on the upper portion. We've had good service from M&T in Ottawa to replace them which is a pretty tricky job requiring custom size and thickness panes and awkward positioning to replace them. They aren't cheap but they've been the only company who have managed to be willing and able to get it done.
Jul 26, 2010
927 posts
89 upvotes
eastern Ontario
Clear Cut Installations now has an Ottawa office as well as Brockville and South Mountain. Celebrating 25 years in business. I have never had Steve do any work (never had any projects to be done ) but certainly he's done lots of it in the South Mountain, Winchester area over the years. Started with windows but now does much more . 613-739-4301 is the Ottawa number.
Dec 22, 2005
72 posts
9 upvotes
dirtmover wrote: I used Comfort King a few years ago. Big Mistake! I was not impressed with their service, quality of workmanship or attention to detail. I would not recommend this company.

Thank you for the warning re Comfort King. The best price isn't always the best deal. We'll certainly take this into consideration. We're expanding our search to other vendors including Ottawa Windows and Doors and perhaps Lambden. Any comments on these would be appreciated.
May 19, 2011
5 posts
dirtmover wrote: I used Comfort King a few years ago. Big Mistake! I was not impressed with their service, quality of workmanship or attention to detail. I would not recommend this company.

I'm shopping for a contractor to install a bay window some reason Comfort King Sales Guy thought coming to the house for an interview was a waste of time when I supplied a photo with 1 vert measurement and 1 hor. mea. also argued that LoE-180 is the best in the industry. Oh well was easy to eliminate
May 19, 2011
5 posts
colin1919 wrote: I'm shopping for a contractor to install a bay window some reason Comfort King Sales Guy thought coming to the house for an interview was a waste of time when I supplied a photo with 1 vert measurement and 1 hor. mea. also argued that LoE-180 is the best in the industry. Oh well was easy to eliminate

This forum and the poster on it have helped me along very much I knew nada about windows but amd learning more as I read. My question is
Has anyone has recent experience with
Lamden
Scheel
Verdun
Thanks for sharing your information it is indeed helpful. CHEERS
Oct 8, 2011
1 posts
EDWARDS
I live in Ottawa.
I am perhaps too careful when spending money and needing all the windows in my 1977 home replaced I had just one small bathroom window replaced from Verdun windows as a test/check on the quality of window they manufacture.
3 weeks was the date the window was to be ready...... 7 weeks later it was and it has been installed in my bathroom.
I just had the Government Eco test done so I can get a grant of $40 per window on the rest of them (10) (the test that includes among other things, placing a fan in your front door to depressurize your home to check for air leaks).
The inspector rolled his eyes when checking the Verdun window after I said "that's my new one" and said I should push Kleenex into here and there in the siding areas of it as I had air leaks at the seals at this window that should not be present.Some of my 1977 windows were better with there 1977 seals!!!!!

I will be replacing this "new" window along with the other 10 but not from Verdun Windows.
This is just my experience with this one window from this company and I am sure it not the norm from them but cannot recommend them.
Feb 8, 2012
3 posts
Ottawa
Any luck to have them come over and replace the window? I'm thinking about changing windows as well and from looking at the website they have 20year warranty.. In fact from the research I have done most company offer life time warranty..
Usernameused wrote: I live in Ottawa.
The inspector rolled his eyes when checking the Verdun window after I said "that's my new one" and said I should push Kleenex into here and there in the siding areas of it as I had air leaks at the seals at this window that should not be present.Some of my 1977 windows were better with there 1977 seals!!!!!
I will be replacing this "new" window along with the other 10 but not from Verdun Windows.
This is just my experience with this one window from this company and I am sure it not the norm from them but cannot recommend them.
Feb 8, 2012
3 posts
Ottawa
Hi All,
Just wanted to provide some info on my recent experiences with windows shopping in Ottawa. We did the eco-energy audit and thought it would be a good opportunity to replace all 30+ yr old windows --although the fix $40 rebate per rough-in really isn't reasonable..

We did our research, and asked around for quotes from a couple of local companies:
- PVC Regional (their own windows manufactured in Gatineau)
- CANA (dealer for VWD windows)
- Verdun (their own "Nordik" windows manufactured in Vars)
- Ottawa windows and doors (dealer for Strassburger, WARDCO etc. windows)

I believe all are energy star, and all seems to have good CSA rating (however, not all manufacturers can be found on this site: www.csa-international.org)

PVC Regional was suggested by a friend-of-a-friend. They had good experience with them and liked the product, but did warn us on pushy sales. And pushy sale, it was! They guy came to my house and really wanted me to sign the contract right then. The price was indeed the cheapest (~3K lower than the rest), but without actually seeing the product, I would be stupid to sign the contract. I managed to get him out the door after 2hrs, and he was persistent and call a couple times a day until I told him I signed a contract with another company..

OTH, both sales from Verdun and CANA were highly professional, responsive and know their products very well. The sales from CANA were highly punctual, yet took her time to explain about their products. We received her quote by email within the date we were told. All communications were done easily with by email or phone.
The sale from Verdun that I had was great too. He was able to give me a printed quote at my house. These are detail quotes per window, so you know clearly how much each window costs. The sales was also willing to give you good discounts on large volume (10+ casement) -- the more you have, the more negotiating room on discounts.

We had minimal contact with Ottawa Windows and Doors, and to be fair, it was only quotes done by email – I send them my window dimension, config. and they give me a quote base the listed. The first quote of Strassburger window was ~10K more than those from VWD and Nordik. That shocked me a bit, and I really didn’t pursue this further since I was pretty much set on either Verdun or CANA.

We end up signing the contract with CANA because we like the overall experience, their nation-wide-distribution of VWD windows, recommendations from friends of this forum etc. Also, since the price were close, we picked VWD because the company was offering spray insulating foam inside all vinyl window trims – although as I read in other posts, this may not add much to the overall R value..

I would recommend both companies if you’re looking to replace your windows. They were great people to deal with. Do note that their products do differ, so depending on your need and preference, all things considered, you still need to make the final decision.

I have no relation with any of the companies, just shopping and providing my opinion to the forum.

Oh, and both Verdun and Cana were able to make the installation before the Mar 31 deadline for Ecoenergy!
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2011
1212 posts
269 upvotes
OTTAWA
Thanks for the info which comes in time of my thinking to replace windows of my 25-year old house. I am thinking to install a window in my living room. Advices are most appreciated.
Deal Addict
May 28, 2009
1543 posts
529 upvotes
Ottawa
coocooworm1 wrote: The sale from Verdun that I had was great too. He was able to give me a printed quote at my house. These are detail quotes per window, so you know clearly how much each window costs. The sales was also willing to give you good discounts on large volume (10+ casement) -- the more you have, the more negotiating room on discounts.

We end up signing the contract with CANA because we like the overall experience, their nation-wide-distribution of VWD windows, recommendations from friends of this forum etc. Also, since the price were close, we picked VWD because the company was offering spray insulating foam inside all vinyl window trims – although as I read in other posts, this may not add much to the overall R value..

I would recommend both companies if you’re looking to replace your windows. They were great people to deal with. Do note that their products do differ, so depending on your need and preference, all things considered, you still need to make the final decision.

Oh, and both Verdun and Cana were able to make the installation before the Mar 31 deadline for Ecoenergy!
we went with Verdun last Oct and were very happy about the whole process. as described above the sales guy did the measurements and we didnt have to do anything. just wanted to confirm that when they installed the windows they did put in spray foam insulation all around including the bottom. talking with the guys while they installed it they told me that this was standard these days.

good luck with the eco rebate. we got ours inspected a few weeks back and hopefully should get a modest cheque :) we also changed the toilets just to make it worthwhile. ( i think its $65 per toilet )
Jan 23, 2012
7 posts
ORLEANS
Good morning everyone,

My name is David and I'm from Verdun Windows and Doors. I just wanted to take a few minutes to clear up some irregularity that were said in this thread. If you have any questions or comments feel free to contact me directly at dmalette (at) verdunwindows (dot) com or six one three - four four three - two six nine four.

First off the warranty concerns:

Every company will offer it's own version of a warranty, some even giving away ''lifetime'' warranties. However, they don't qualify ''lifetime''. Also most companies will receive a warranty from their manufacture, however if something does happen to your window and they have to come fix it, the product will be covered, but not the labour cost. You have to be very careful when discussing warranties. Sometimes lifetime may sound great, but when you read the fine print it's not as pretty. The warranty we offer here is 20 years! Labour, product, installation. If you have an issue you will not get the run around, we will be there no questions asked.

As for the first comment on this page about how we A) didn't deliver on time and B) the product was crappy. First off, this person only has one post, so I'm not sure how much credibility it really holds. Now our turn around time is ALWAYS 6 to 8 weeks. As for our product not being up to par? We go through all the testing for the Energy Star rating and we have never had any issues, our products are actually much higher then the government standards. We have been in business for close to 30 years, we are the largest window and door company in Ottawa and will be here in 30 years from now.

Finally, take a look at our reviews they speak for themselves, you can also view photos of past installations, our manufacturing plant and some of our products here: http://homestars.com/companies/2593758- ... rs-windows

Sincerely,

David Malette
Verdun Windows and Doors
www.verdunwindows.com
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2008
1282 posts
314 upvotes
Ottawa
Starting on getting quotes to replace all the windows in our house. Bumping to see if there are any more recent feedback or experiences. Wonder if there is post-rebate hangover in the window business.
Mar 2, 2011
66 posts
14 upvotes
Ottawa
I got a few quotes and am about to have mine done by Cana. It's funny though, my wifes aunt was visiting and I mentioned the windows and she said "I hope you're not going with BestCan" and she went on to explain a horror story she had with them where her husband had to ask their contractors to leave because even he could see how poor the job they were doing was. They worked it out and got it fixed but were lied to about a few things, I thought they were the ones that threatened the guy on here earlier...sure enough they are, haha, glad I came here first, didn't even get a quote from them! What kind of company threatens a costumer when they are dissatisfied? I'd be out of business if we did that. So far so good on Cana, will report on the installation later.
Jul 18, 2011
120 posts
84 upvotes
Ottawa
After comparing the price from Cana, Verdun and 3 North Star Windows vendors, I decided to go with Ontario Sunshines due to the following reasons:

1. Price. Ontario sunshine offers the best price for triple glazed casements that qualifies for all zones (Ottawa is in Zone B, so many vendors offers products that only qualify for Zone A and B). Its triple glazed price is the same as some of the other vendors double glazed price! Also, one does not need to pay more to have a brown exterior vinyl.
2.Designs: I have been to one of the North Star vendor's showroom and I really liked the North Star windows designs. For example, their double sliders liftout design can be taken off from the frame completely for cleaning and to act as a fire escape for the basement. The double sliders tilt design, on the other hand, can open inward like a casement window for cleaning as well as increasing the air flow during a hot summer day.
3. Other than the initial in home consultation, the rest of the communications were done via emails and therefore a paper trail was established. I asked many questions (I believe I sent in total about 80 emails) and they were all answered very quickly (in an hour or two).
4. Great References: I got 10 references with address which I was able to drop by and check and talk to the owners to see how happy they were with the windows
5. Quick install. I only had to wait for less than 2 weeks and the installation was done in a day.

Right after the installation, I noticed a great improvement in noise reduction in the house. I am really happy with the windows and for once I am actually looking forward to winter :)
Jul 18, 2011
120 posts
84 upvotes
Ottawa
Anonymouse wrote: Unless you are not going to be living in the house for a long time, in Ottawa you really should consider pultruded fibreglass frames with a high-spec triple-pane Cardinal glass module in them. The only thing good about vinyl is the price.

We recently replaced 11 windows in our house, including 1 walkout bay, for around $20k, so the cost is not prohibitive. Manufacturer was Inline.
The problem with making that kind of investment on your house is that in reality you will never get that money back if you later on decided to sell your house. I would say 99% of the home buyer will only ask the year when the windows are replaced....that's why I was debating with myself whether to spend the extra 10% for triple glazed. Needless to say your windows are probably really nice windows....but unless you can tell with certainty where you will be 20 years from now...it is probably not a great investment from a real estate prospective.
Aug 7, 2006
1 posts
Hi, just wondering is anyone has any experiences with Clera. We need an immediate quote so we're getting one from them but i don't see them mentioned here.
Thanks for your help
Dec 27, 2006
207 posts
12 upvotes
London
Windows are one of the most ridiculously overpriced things on a house to replace! If you have basic mechanical skills - Do it Yourself!!!

I have been very happy with my Farley windows from Home Depot. Dirt Cheap.. and they have held up to 3 canadian winters so far, with practically no air leaks (as evidenced by condensation by seals during winter.

If you can hold a level, Screw in 4 screws, and handle a can of Spray foam - you will save yourself $$$$$$$$ thousands of dollars.

7 new windows at my house - about $1700 from home depot. "Professional" cost - 8-10k.. hmmm... Even if the windows were awful and I replace them in 10 years - i'm still saving a ton

Do yourself a favor - Try installing one window and see how easy it is.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 2, 2005
5355 posts
2721 upvotes
WFH
Yes, installation is easy but using a "professional" usually also includes interior trim and caulking, exterior trim (aluminum) and caulking, removal and disposal of existing windows plus installation on a 2nd floor or higher is somewhat more difficult and risky.

If you shop around I don't think it would cost as much as $8K-$10K to have similar low end windows installed "professionally".

The potential to save $$$ is not unique. Like most home renovations it's easy and much of the cost is in the labour but then nobody's going to work for free.

Of course, the other thing to bear in mind is that, as the homeowner, you're the only person that cares enough to spend the time to do the job properly.
Dec 27, 2006
207 posts
12 upvotes
London
Oh I agree with you dirt mover - There is also the trim to do.. and god knows my trim isn't perfect haha but at an 8 grand savings on a house I don't plan to sell anytime soon -I will take minor imperfections.

Installing windows is actually a lot of fun! :) If anyone in Ottawa needs help - msg me
May 17, 2005
558 posts
100 upvotes
Reviving an old threat to share our experience with Ottawa Windows and Doors. We had them replace our windows a few years ago, and aside from a few hiccups, we've been generally happy with the company. However, getting them to uphold their warranty is an uphill battle. It started in September when the locking mechanism on one of the windows broke, leaving us unable to open the window. I call up Ottawa Windows and Doors, to request the warranty service. I'm told that it takes about 6 weeks because they need to get parts from the manufacturer. A few months later, when the service guys show-up, they have no parts with them. Apparently they just troubleshoot the problem. Then why did I have to wait all this time and was told that it was because the parts needed to arrive from the manufacturer?

Fast forward a few weeks, the parts arrive. Scheduling is only done in 4-hour windows in the middle of the day. Not to be deterred, I take a time off work, but no one shows up. Turns out there was a "miscommunication" and they never sent anyone. Now I have to wait until their next availability, and no one seems to know when that will be.

Needless to say, I'm far from impressed. They're quite diligent to get our money, but the service slows down considerably when the work is on their dime. Maybe that's how all companies operate, but at this point, I really can't recommend Ottawa Windows and Doors anymore.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)